“Avoid the Annex”

Best Western Victoria Palace
Ranked #483 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I can't speak to the main building, but the Annex on Belgrave Road was substandard. Walls are paper thin, homeless people waiting outside at all hours trying to get in, no security, no lift, Rooms are adequate. The facility is clean and the staff is attentive and pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank TheRealMiL
Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed July 16, 2011

I booked this room at short notice and was very pleased to only pay £89. I was made aware that I would be in the annexe and was shown to my room on the top floor. He dropped my bag off and left as fast as he could. I think he was probably used to people complaining about being put on the top floor or being in an annexe. The stairs are a bit steep but complaining about this is being pedantic as I paid such a good price. The room was very clean and reception were polite and helpful. It is the price that has swayed me to award 5 stars rather than 4.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bilbao
Reviewed July 14, 2011

When we arrived I found that our reservations for a 6 night stay had been lost & I didn't have a room in the busiest season in Lonon! After showing my paperwork, the staff at the front desk went to work to fit us in by juggling rooms etc. We rec'd a room with king size bed, ensuite bathroom at the back of the hotel overlooking a nice courtyard with trees. We were able to sleep with the window open & it wasn't too noisy & the fresh air was lovely. The room was small as all budget hotels in London are but very clean & the cleaning staff did a good job of freshening our room daily. The breakfast was really good for this price with eggs, sausages, baked toms, variety of cereals, breads, croissants, teas, coffees, yoghurts...well, you get the picture! Best of all though was the front desk. They were unfailingly kind, courteous and helpful. Because of the mixup at the beginning of our stay we rec'd a sincere apology from each member of the front desk! Every question was answered to our liking; and since I was having problems with my lap top they readily fixed it for me every day. Oh by the way, one of the restaurants recommended by the front desk was the Paradise Indian Restaurant a short walk away. Do go. It was delicious food, inexpensive good wine from France & great service all at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moneycarol
Reviewed July 13, 2011

First things first, this hotel is in a decent location close to a range of bars and restaurants and is great for navigating the Victoria district of London.
When I stayed earlier this year I checked in and was told my room was located in the annexe building across the road. I worried but I needn't have as it was fully branded and basically looked the same as the main building. The guy took me across to my room and I casually commented that I didn't realise there were two sites to the hotel. He reacted 'It's clearly stated on our website sir, very clearly stated'. I wasn't even having a go or complaining, yet that was his reaction. Touchy! I'm guessing they must get that a lot and it annoys them!
My room itself was fine except it was located on the top floor and the stairs are very steep with no lift available in the annexe, so I definitely wouldnt recommend this to anyone with walking difficutlies, although I'm unsure on whether there's a lift in the main building. When I got in at midnight half cut after a few sherberts that big walk up to my room was quite a challenge, and I'm a veritable spring chicken at the age of 31!
The room was clean and comfortable but very warm and I found the air conditioning a little difficult to figure out (possibly due to me being slightly inebriated), so I think that may be down to my own stupidity rather than being any flaw in the design.
Would book this hotel again as the rates are reasonable for the location.
However, this is quite a big thing ...the breakfasts didn't include sausages (crime of the century in my eyes) and I wouldnt recommend them. Not worth it, just bob out to the nearby deli instead. Low quality bacon as well and the beans had only been heated rather than cooked, hate it when places do that! Beans need to be brought to the boil and then simmered for at least 5 minutes otherwise they're hard and far less enjoyable. In my opinion of course!
I've awarded this hotel 3 stars as it was adequate, clean and handily situated. The Free Wi-Fi was also a decent addition and I used it a lot.

Room Tip: Request a low floor if you struggle with stairs
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here at the end of June and were very happy with the room and the service provided. We had originally been booked into another hotel nearby for the weekend which was absolutely terrible in every way imanigable, so this hotel literally came to our rescue at the last minute.

The only disappointment we had - and we really cannot understand this - is that the breakfast didn't include BACON on the menu. This is England and ALL good British hotels always provide bacon and eggs - the mainstay of a typical english breakfast. It baffled us completely and kind of let the breakfast down for us. A nexplanation would be useful ..!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rosieray
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My parents, aunt, and stayed at the Best Western from June 27th -July 4th. My dad and I had a basic twin room. My mom and aunt paid 30 pounds more per night and had a larger room with one double bed and one single bed. We pre booked the rooms, non refundable at a rate pf 90 pounds per night. The larger room was 120 pounds per night. The location, staff, and breakfast were great. The room was cleaned everyday. Shower and bath area was very good. My dad's and my room was a basic twin room. The room was the size of a balcony cruise ship room with no balcony. The room was small. I would have asked for an upgrade and pay the extra money as my aunt did for a larger room, but our room was close to their room so we stayed in the room. The staff and service were excellent. The staff helped us with travel, bus routes, and tube. Although we did not use the tube due to the logistices. For the money spent the hotel was a good value. The breakfast is a hot breakfast and the waitress staff is very good. There was a large assortment of eggs, sausage, beans, yogurt, toast, tea, cooked tomatoes, chease, etc. I would defintately spend the etra money to have the breakfast included as food is expensive in London. I will revisit the hotel if I visit London again, however I would spend the extra money to get the larger room. I did not want to spend several hundred dollars a night just to sleap in a room and then tour England. I would rather spend my money on activities outside of the hotel room. If you are looking for a hotel with basic accomodations this hotel shoud work for you. If you are looking for a hotle with a marble staircase and other luxury accomodations then you should look for another hotel. The hotel is within walking distance of Victoria Station, and the Wilton Street and Coach Station Bus stops. We did use the bus often. Also there is a 24 mini mart across the street to purchase Oyster Cards, snacks, and drinks. I would have given the hotel a 5 star, however, the basic twin room is so small that we could not open up two large suitcases in the room.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BON VOYAGE AMICO
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed in London for the first time. When we arrived, they showed us a room that was just outside the lobby, through a door. I'm not exaggerating when I say it looked like a hallway with a small bed at one end of the hall and the bathroom at the other. There was a tiny window at the end of the room and the ceiling was low. It was claustrophobic! And worse there was a strong smell of something chemical and it was making us both cough. My husband asked for another room - because really the first room was unacceptable considering how much we had paid - and they showed us to another one upstairs with two beds instead of one. It was a bit roomier, but really our impression of the hotel was ruined after that because of how they tried to give us a worse room at the beginning. Both rooms had shabby carpets and cheap bedlinens. Very odd this hotel is so low budget that they don't even print their own stationery - it was a handful of handcut paper clipped together with a bulldog clip and a stubby generic pen (no best western logo on either). I don't think the photos of this hotel online reflect how worn down the rooms are. The bathroom was extremely small. The beds are hard as rocks. If they try to give you one of the lower rooms which are worse, ask for another.
The service at the hotel was brusque and indifferent, so don't expect a lot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple