“Great Hotel”

Ranked #96 of 555 London B&B and Inns
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a little gem of a hotel in Ealing.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Ealing Broadway train and tube stop. Heathrow Connect Stops here and is a short 20 min ride. One note is that if you are arriving or leaving on a Sunday the trains only run once an hour.

Ealing offers a lot of restaurant options. My favorite was the Haven Arms Pub, a short walk north of the station.

The rooms are decent size and clean. Its a little bit on the older side, but well maintained. I stayed in a room with a shared bath. There is sink in the room which is handy. I had no problem with the shared bathroom.

The breakfast is the typical English breakfast with toast, eggs, tomato, hash brown, bacon, and sausage. The staff will cook the egg any way you want. There is also yogurt, cereal, and fruit.

The staff is great. They are friendly and take care of anything you need.

Overall it was great place to stay and I definitely would stay here again when I am back in London.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank shutb45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Niagara Falls, NY
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Grange Lodge is a short 15 minute walk from the Ealing Broadway or Ealing Common Stations, 2 lines that are easily accessible from Heathrow Airport. If you arrive between 10am and 8pm, you may want to select Ealing Common Station, as Ealing Broadway Features a route of Restaurants and Shopping and can be quite busy if you are toting luggage.

The hotel is on a residential block, and you may find yourself thinking you are on the wrong path until suddenly there it is.

We arrived at the Hotel early, due to an overnight flight - they do not accomodate early check in, so we found a nearby Starbucks to drink coffee and use the free internet to pass the time.

As mentioned in other reviews, the staircases are narrow, but this did not pose a problem for us, as we had packed light for the trip. The room was of a good size for a European room and the beds were comfortable. The room was clean, and a TV with many channels was provided as well as a coffee maker.

The bathroom was tiny, but functional. I myself had to step out of the bathroom after using, as I found maneuvering in there resulted in bashed elbows and knees.

Breakfast was average. They prepare eggs, sausage/bacon, hash brown, tomatoes, beans, and toast to order. The food tasted ok, it wasn't great and it wasn't bad - for breakfast it served the purpose. There was also cereal, yogurt and fresh fruit provided. We did not leave the lodge hungry before venturing out.

The neighborhood is nice, and seems safe. We were able to find restaurants within a 5 to 15 minute walk, and there is a shopping center 10 minutes walk away that can suit many needs.

Wireless internet at the hotel was great, it had enough bandwidth where we could use Skype and IP phone applications to keep in touch with home.

There is a neighborhood cat that waits by the doors, not sure if she is owned by the hotel or a neighbor. We didn't let her in, but we did give her attention. She is very lovable and friendly, and a nice addition for those of us pet lovers who pine for our animals at home.

We'll definitely consider the grange for a future London trip. Though an old hotel, it was clean and functional, and had enough in the neighborhood to keep us busy, as well as stations nearby to get us anywhere in London.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on the second floor. That is where we stayed and the room was a decent size.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dak1124
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Grange for a few days and it's a great hotel! Good value, rooms, location and both girls on duty were helpful and very welcoming. Great staff. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they had this cat that would just breeze in and out as it pleased! One night it jumped in through my window and nearly gave me a heart attack. I heard other guests talking about the cat being in thier rooms,but I didn't think anything of it till that night. Since when do hotels have domestcated pets?? Just because of that, I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Boom, Belgium
Reviewed September 11, 2012

After staying in this hotel for 1 week I can only say it's good value for money.
It's more of a B&B then a hotel. No safe, no mini-bar, no... BUT very friendly staff, 24/7 access, clean room etc. The tube is about 8 minutes walk, then you need to count on 25-45 min to get to most locations in london (tube stations for the picadeli, central and district lines are all within 15 min walk).
The room is very basic but clean, the breakfast is limited but ok (full English + cereals, yoghurt and fruit).

All together a very good experience if you go for basics.
There is also a black cat that walks around and tries to get pet. If you love cats (like me) it's a plus, otherwise it could be a deal breaker.

Room Tip: The rooms w/o bathroom/toilet are £10-15 cheaper and there is a bathroom for every 2 rooms... I neve...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Grange Lodge Hotel was everything I could've asked for. The rooms were comfortably furnished, clean, and inviting. The breakfasts each morning were quickly served, hot, generous, delicious, and kept me full for the entire morning. The staff was friendly, efficient, helpful, and overall took very good care of us.
I knew when I reserved my room that the Grange Lodge was a bit outside of central London - where most of the tourist attractions were that I wanted to visit - but it really was within walking distance (maybe 10 minutes) to the Tube stop and it never took me over 40 minutes to get into Westminster Station (centralish London). With the Tube being so cheap to ride, this extra time was worth the savings made by staying a bit farther out. It's set in a nice neighborhood, so the walk was pleasant. Plus, there was a cute little coffee shop on the way from the B&B to the tube stop in which to get your morning tea to go!
I reserved a room without a private bathroom, so I was prepared to share. But even when the rooms were completely full - I only had to wait for the shower room once (in a full week of staying there!) and never waited for the toilet. The bathroom was kept meticulously clean and I never felt like I was sharing it!
The only downside was that the first two or three nights I was there, my room was really hot and stuffy. Only one of the windows opened (the other two were painted shut), and this not very far, so it was difficult to cool off the room. This was during an uncharacteristic heat wave in London, though, and once temperatures returned to England-normal the room cooled off again and became more pleasant.
The whole atmosphere of the decor and arrangement in Grange Lodge was very home like - cozy and inviting. It was a relaxing environment to be in and I often felt more like I was staying at a friend's house than in an impersonal B&B. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sarah K
Fairport Harbor, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I chose Grange Lodge Hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings. It turned out to be perfectly acceptable for myself and my teenage son. The location is 10 minutes' walk from an Underground station. A variety of restaurants and shops can be found within walking distance. The proprietors were friendly and helpful, the English breakfasts were hearty and everything was clean. Wifi in the lounge worked fine, better than many of the other places we visited in Europe. We didn't mind carrying our luggage upstairs. We stayed three nights. The price was very reasonable for London.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Douglas H
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Bear in mind that Ealing is still London. And that London prices apply.

All I ask really from a hotel is that it:

• Is clean and quiet
• Offers me a good night’s sleep
• Offers me hot water
• And an acceptable breakfast.

Nothing plush, thanks. So the Grange Lodge did me just fine. £39.00 which in London is a sneeze..

I walked from Ealing Broadway tube to the B&B in the rain a rather longer way than I walked back next day. Say 10 minutes from the tube is about right.

Room for one – comfortable mattress, clean room, toilet just down the corridor. Road outside very quiet – an occasional car. And an old-fashioned window you can open to the elements (as I did). I slept like a log.

Full English breakfast was okay, except that the beans seemed fresh from the tin and the whole thing smacked a bit of “keeping warm” not done well. At least the scrambled egg was warm. On the plus side I got toast ad lib which I made myself and thus avoided that bane of B&Bs the world over, the Cold Toast Syndrome. Ditto coffee. The butter pats came chilled but not in the usual Lego blocks, and were eminently spreadable. BUT – No Marmite (though I confess I should have asked).

The staff I met were most friendly.

This is an establishment that I will return to on my visits to the Smoke from Yorkshire. Vfm is, in my view, very good.

My thanks to the staff all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo