“Poor service management!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #221 of 1,089 Hotels in London
KL
“Poor service management!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed in mid August and booked the room via the official IHG website for a sofa bed room. Arrived on the day was told all sofa bed was gone.
Reception kept insisting that we didnt booked such room, and luckily I printed our booking to show them the details exactly.
In the end, they just said its too late, all rooms are gone and offered no better solution for having our booking screwed up. I even asked them to switch me to another IHG hotel then, they said they cant do that.

Told the staff to call and ask their management, was told "its not a good idea". Was absolutely frustrated. Next few days asked to speak to their general manager, did not get a word or apology until today.

Absolutely disappointing!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ah_leng
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear ah_leng,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in service during your stay. This is certainly not the standard of service that the team prides itselves on and I do apologies for this inconvenience. I am fully aware of the situation you encountered at check-in. It seems there was a certain lapse in communication during the reservation process. As you had booked a room for 2 adults only whereas; upon arrival you clearly wanted a family room which could accommodate your children as well. I can fully understand your frustration in this regard and I deeply regret we could not fulfill your request on the first night of your stay due full occupancy.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to the City of London. I am confident your impression would be positive given the opportunity. Please do let me know when you are traveling next time so I can take care of the reservation details.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services.

Deepak Vaid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

It's right next to the tube station so it takes you to downtown London in 20 mins. There is a small Tesco right opposite to the hotel so you can get basic stuffs easily. For the hotel itself, the room is small but I know it's London. The one thing that surprise me is there is NO fridge inside the room. I have a 2 year old girl travel with me so I bought her fresh milk. I know it's a Holiday Inn express but no fridge? It's the first time I stayed at a hotel with no fridge. I end up have to put the milk at reception and needs to go there to get it every time. The breakfast there is the same everyday and have the basic stuffs.
I would say there may be better choice in London for the same price. You get what you paid for. Don't expect too much!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Mochaaaa,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We apologize for the room amenities that fell below your expectations. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Colombo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

2 mins away from the Central line tube. Great to just shop and just be out all the time. I didn't stay here for the hotel room! Stayed here for convenience and value for the price paid for a shopping trip! All I did was shop and then hop back onto the tube back to the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear OshiniD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to place such a review regarding your recent stay.

We are very pleased to note that you were satisfied services that we have to offer as well as the convenient location of the hotel. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us as we constantly strive to make your experience at a great one.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the the hotel in the near future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bridgnorth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights recently with my mother. I picked this hotel because I know this area and it was easy to reach from the A40. Also, it had twin non-smoking rooms available.
The Express brand is a budget hotel within the Intercontinental family. I have stayed in many of their hotels, in the UK and abroad and have a good idea of the differences between the brands. Rooms are smaller than in the Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza range. There are no fridges in the UK hotels, also things like toiletries are provided but in a wall dispenser to minimize waste.

From my arrival at the hotel to when I left I had a very positive experience with maybe one or two grumbles but nothing that would make me not want to return. The female front of house staff were very helpful when we arrived early on the Sunday morning, and we were greeted as Priority Club members. Our room was not available but they offered us the use of alternative facilities should we want to change, provided safe storage for our luggage, invited us to partake of breakfast (£7 each, we declined), or have a hot drink. When I asked where the nearest tube station was, I was given a tube map with the station circled (North Acton) and told how to get there. The tube station is directly behind the hotel and is indeed a short walk.

After our day in the city we returned to the hotel and picked up some supplies from the Tesco store opposite. There is also a petrol station next door and bus stops nearby. We went up to our room on the first floor. A lift is provided but you can also take the stairs if you want some exercise! Our room was at the front, but with the double glazing and the additional panel over the window the room was very quiet and you could not hear any road noise. The room was well laid out, pretty standard to this brand of hotel. There was plenty of room for the two of us. Standard equipment included flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities (sadly no hot chocolate), hairdryer, air-con unit (this was quite noisey though I turned the fan setting down). The beds were comfortable and clean, although the pillows were not particularly comfortable. There is no bed side clock. This didn't bother me because I use my phone and do not like lights in the bedroom anyway. The bathroom was compact with a toilet and shower, well lit and a reasonable amount of space to put wash bags, etc.
Breakfast is included in the price, this is one of the reasons for choosing this hotel. In the Holiday Inn you would pay about £15/person for breakfast on top of your room rate. Breakfast choice is good. A variety of cereals, cold milk, yogurts, fresh and tinned fruits, bread rolls, bread for toasting, spreads, jams, etc,and a selection of pastries. Hot foods included sausages, scramble egg and baked beans. Tea, coffee and other hot drinks were available as well as a selection of juices. The breakfast area was busy, but staff ensured the buffett was well stocked and tables cleaned and cleared. There was something for everyone and it was good quality and value.
To be honest, how much time do you spend in a hotel room? Basically it's just a place to store some stuff and sleep and get a shower. This hotel fulfilled my requirements. The room was clean and tidy, the overall cleanliness and presentation of the hotel was very good. It is well located for sightseeing although the location itself is not anything special. There is a charge for parking; £10/day which is okay, although they did try to charge me for 3 days instead of 2! Also, parking spaces are very limited and you may find it difficult to park.
Overall, this is a good budget hotel with good accomodation and well located for trips in and around London. I will definately use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, although I suspect they are all fairly quiet anyway!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear panyan1960,

Many thanks for a comprehensive review and awarding us 5 stars. It certainly is a pleasant surprise when our guests are so well informed about our service offerings and brand awareness in general. You have accurately pointed out at many aspects of the Express brand and its precincts which is a very encouraging mark of an engaged user of our services.

I, along with my team, hope to welcome you soon whenever you next arrive in London.

malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

first of all, we booked through IHG and expected that internal system
would be accurate but the hotel got our room type wrong and did not grant us a sofa bed as we booked & because we checked in late due to our flight, the reception couldnt offer any solution initially because its too late to call the manager or the GM ( cant disturb them??!?) to seek a solution. as a result 2adults+ 2 kids squeezed into 1 bed for the 1st night which we are totally disappointed.
then we asked if they will be compensating us for their mistake and they did not revert at all during our 5 days stay there. absolutely NO feedback after they claim they have dropped note to their management and is waiting for reply even after 5 days. not responsible at all.
then they claim they assure connectivity in this Big Large poster at lobby but our room's signal is weak or none except if we stood at the hall. so when we relayed the issue, reception linked us to solve the matter directly with their 3rd party network provided testing this and that in the room which consumed more than half an hr of our already tight schedule to tour the city.
later when we check out, we were told to write to General Manager directly to expect a reply but was given a wrong email address. we were told the manager will write to us and left our address but nothing heard after 5 days also.
the reception staff and all is not bad and are generally pleasant but they just wont have any solution to your problems at all. the hotel makes us feel if you encounter any issues, u have to go sort it out yourself or live with it!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank mav-kayz
Dear mav-KL,

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Being on a family holiday with 2 adults and 2 children, from check-in to check-out we had a wonderful experience in the hotel. The customer service staff were really knowledgeable and special mentions to Christina and Margaret whom we dealt with. They are a credit to the hotel.
Rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast had a limited menu but it was fine.
The location is fantastic in a quiet area ~50 metres from North Acton underground station (Central Line, zone 2) with a Tesco mini-market across the road. 3 stops direct to Shepherds Bush station for Westfield Shops and 8 stops direct to Marble Arch.
We would come back again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear GrahC,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our team, especially Cristina and Margaret.

I am delighted to note that Team Park Royal was able to cater to your needs during your stay with us. We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and professional service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Regards,
East Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are a family of 5 from US. We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2013. Let me tell you, not all Holiday Inn (HI) Express hotels have the same quality hotel amenities! When we stayed at the HI express in Lisbon Portugal during New Year's week in 2012, it was a pleasant stay with good standards, and it gave us a very good impression of the chain and thought that they have scaled up their standard. However, for this hotel stay in London, we were very disappointed with the following areas:
1. No individual package of soap and shampoo were provided. There were, however, liquid soap and shampoo built in attached to the wall.
2. No lotion provided.
3. pillows were not that great; they are flat, not firm nor fluffy. (I have to admit that their bed is ok, not bad!)
4. No alarm clock by the bed. There is built in alarm in the TV. We have to set the alarm on the TV, and the clock is VERY tiny on the TV. To look at the clock at a distance from the bed, it's a challenge!
5. No space to put the luggage; not to mention, there was not a luggage rack/bench to place luggage. (normally there is one in every hotel room.) We had to put our luggage at the sitting area.
6. We paid for 3 persons' rate for the 2nd room for our kids, but there is only 1 double bed, so one person has to sleep on the sofa bed. As an American hotel , and especially we booked and paid several months in advance, I did not expect one of my kids slept on a sofa bed for a week, for what we were charged! This does not fit the norm of an American Hotel.

7. No note pad nor pen provided by the phone/desk area.

8. Breakfast is ok; the food was not scrumptiously delicious, but they served a variety of food and drink. The staff worked very hard to fill and stock the food, and the dinning area was kept very clean.

One positive thing about the place is that ALL the staff are great and have excellent customer service.

Bottom line, will we stay at this hotel again even with a great discount rate? No, we would not. It's very close and coveniently access to the tub station, but it is far from the city center. (about 40 -45 minutes to Victoria Coach station and main attractions. If you book any day trip from any tour package or bus trip, almost all of them depart from the Victoria station.)

I hope this is helpful to you, and certainly hope that HolidayInn Express will take this evaluation seriously to improve their hotel accommodation for their customers.

1 Thank QPC326
Dear QPC326,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take our guest observations very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and welcoming accommodations. We genuinely appreciate your kind words of appreciation regarding our hotel staff.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation on the room amenities front. I assure you the feedback will be reviewed and all reasonable measures will be taken.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to be your host in London.

Regards,