“Good hotel for a visit to London”

Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal
Ranked #219 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bridgnorth
“Good hotel for a visit to London”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights recently with my mother. I picked this hotel because I know this area and it was easy to reach from the A40. Also, it had twin non-smoking rooms available.
The Express brand is a budget hotel within the Intercontinental family. I have stayed in many of their hotels, in the UK and abroad and have a good idea of the differences between the brands. Rooms are smaller than in the Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza range. There are no fridges in the UK hotels, also things like toiletries are provided but in a wall dispenser to minimize waste.

From my arrival at the hotel to when I left I had a very positive experience with maybe one or two grumbles but nothing that would make me not want to return. The female front of house staff were very helpful when we arrived early on the Sunday morning, and we were greeted as Priority Club members. Our room was not available but they offered us the use of alternative facilities should we want to change, provided safe storage for our luggage, invited us to partake of breakfast (£7 each, we declined), or have a hot drink. When I asked where the nearest tube station was, I was given a tube map with the station circled (North Acton) and told how to get there. The tube station is directly behind the hotel and is indeed a short walk.

After our day in the city we returned to the hotel and picked up some supplies from the Tesco store opposite. There is also a petrol station next door and bus stops nearby. We went up to our room on the first floor. A lift is provided but you can also take the stairs if you want some exercise! Our room was at the front, but with the double glazing and the additional panel over the window the room was very quiet and you could not hear any road noise. The room was well laid out, pretty standard to this brand of hotel. There was plenty of room for the two of us. Standard equipment included flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities (sadly no hot chocolate), hairdryer, air-con unit (this was quite noisey though I turned the fan setting down). The beds were comfortable and clean, although the pillows were not particularly comfortable. There is no bed side clock. This didn't bother me because I use my phone and do not like lights in the bedroom anyway. The bathroom was compact with a toilet and shower, well lit and a reasonable amount of space to put wash bags, etc.
Breakfast is included in the price, this is one of the reasons for choosing this hotel. In the Holiday Inn you would pay about £15/person for breakfast on top of your room rate. Breakfast choice is good. A variety of cereals, cold milk, yogurts, fresh and tinned fruits, bread rolls, bread for toasting, spreads, jams, etc,and a selection of pastries. Hot foods included sausages, scramble egg and baked beans. Tea, coffee and other hot drinks were available as well as a selection of juices. The breakfast area was busy, but staff ensured the buffett was well stocked and tables cleaned and cleared. There was something for everyone and it was good quality and value.
To be honest, how much time do you spend in a hotel room? Basically it's just a place to store some stuff and sleep and get a shower. This hotel fulfilled my requirements. The room was clean and tidy, the overall cleanliness and presentation of the hotel was very good. It is well located for sightseeing although the location itself is not anything special. There is a charge for parking; £10/day which is okay, although they did try to charge me for 3 days instead of 2! Also, parking spaces are very limited and you may find it difficult to park.
Overall, this is a good budget hotel with good accomodation and well located for trips in and around London. I will definately use it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, although I suspect they are all fairly quiet anyway!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear panyan1960,

Many thanks for a comprehensive review and awarding us 5 stars. It certainly is a pleasant surprise when our guests are so well informed about our service offerings and brand awareness in general. You have accurately pointed out at many aspects of the Express brand and its precincts which is a very encouraging mark of an engaged user of our services.

I, along with my team, hope to welcome you soon whenever you next arrive in London.

Deepak Vaid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
malaysia
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

first of all, we booked through IHG and expected that internal system
would be accurate but the hotel got our room type wrong and did not grant us a sofa bed as we booked & because we checked in late due to our flight, the reception couldnt offer any solution initially because its too late to call the manager or the GM ( cant disturb them??!?) to seek a solution. as a result 2adults+ 2 kids squeezed into 1 bed for the 1st night which we are totally disappointed.
then we asked if they will be compensating us for their mistake and they did not revert at all during our 5 days stay there. absolutely NO feedback after they claim they have dropped note to their management and is waiting for reply even after 5 days. not responsible at all.
then they claim they assure connectivity in this Big Large poster at lobby but our room's signal is weak or none except if we stood at the hall. so when we relayed the issue, reception linked us to solve the matter directly with their 3rd party network provided testing this and that in the room which consumed more than half an hr of our already tight schedule to tour the city.
later when we check out, we were told to write to General Manager directly to expect a reply but was given a wrong email address. we were told the manager will write to us and left our address but nothing heard after 5 days also.
the reception staff and all is not bad and are generally pleasant but they just wont have any solution to your problems at all. the hotel makes us feel if you encounter any issues, u have to go sort it out yourself or live with it!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank mav-kayz
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear mav-KL,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapses in service during your stay. This is certainly not the standard of service that the team prides itselves on and I do apologies for this inconvenience. I am fully aware of the situation you encountered at check-in. It seems there was a certain lapse in communication during the reservation process. As you had booked a room for 2 adults only whereas; upon arrival you clearly wanted a family room which could accommodate your children as well. I can fully understand your frustration in this regard and I deeply regret we could not fulfill your request on the first night of your stay due full occupancy.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to the City of London. I am confident your impression would be positive given the opportunity. Please do let me know when you are traveling next time so I can take care of the reservation details.

Thanking you and assuring you of our best services.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Being on a family holiday with 2 adults and 2 children, from check-in to check-out we had a wonderful experience in the hotel. The customer service staff were really knowledgeable and special mentions to Christina and Margaret whom we dealt with. They are a credit to the hotel.
Rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast had a limited menu but it was fine.
The location is fantastic in a quiet area ~50 metres from North Acton underground station (Central Line, zone 2) with a Tesco mini-market across the road. 3 stops direct to Shepherds Bush station for Westfield Shops and 8 stops direct to Marble Arch.
We would come back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear GrahC,

Thank you for your words of appreciation and encouragement for our team, especially Cristina and Margaret.

I am delighted to note that Team Park Royal was able to cater to your needs during your stay with us. We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and professional service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We are a family of 5 from US. We stayed at this hotel for a week in August 2013. Let me tell you, not all Holiday Inn (HI) Express hotels have the same quality hotel amenities! When we stayed at the HI express in Lisbon Portugal during New Year's week in 2012, it was a pleasant stay with good standards, and it gave us a very good impression of the chain and thought that they have scaled up their standard. However, for this hotel stay in London, we were very disappointed with the following areas:
1. No individual package of soap and shampoo were provided. There were, however, liquid soap and shampoo built in attached to the wall.
2. No lotion provided.
3. pillows were not that great; they are flat, not firm nor fluffy. (I have to admit that their bed is ok, not bad!)
4. No alarm clock by the bed. There is built in alarm in the TV. We have to set the alarm on the TV, and the clock is VERY tiny on the TV. To look at the clock at a distance from the bed, it's a challenge!
5. No space to put the luggage; not to mention, there was not a luggage rack/bench to place luggage. (normally there is one in every hotel room.) We had to put our luggage at the sitting area.
6. We paid for 3 persons' rate for the 2nd room for our kids, but there is only 1 double bed, so one person has to sleep on the sofa bed. As an American hotel , and especially we booked and paid several months in advance, I did not expect one of my kids slept on a sofa bed for a week, for what we were charged! This does not fit the norm of an American Hotel.

7. No note pad nor pen provided by the phone/desk area.

8. Breakfast is ok; the food was not scrumptiously delicious, but they served a variety of food and drink. The staff worked very hard to fill and stock the food, and the dinning area was kept very clean.

One positive thing about the place is that ALL the staff are great and have excellent customer service.

Bottom line, will we stay at this hotel again even with a great discount rate? No, we would not. It's very close and coveniently access to the tub station, but it is far from the city center. (about 40 -45 minutes to Victoria Coach station and main attractions. If you book any day trip from any tour package or bus trip, almost all of them depart from the Victoria station.)

I hope this is helpful to you, and certainly hope that HolidayInn Express will take this evaluation seriously to improve their hotel accommodation for their customers.

1 Thank QPC326
Dear QPC326,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take our guest observations very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and welcoming accommodations. We genuinely appreciate your kind words of appreciation regarding our hotel staff.

However, we’re sorry we fell below your expectation on the room amenities front. I assure you the feedback will be reviewed and all reasonable measures will be taken.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to be your host in London.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel staff were all really friendly from the minute we walked in. The hotel was clean,tidy and very well run.

The room was cleaned to a high standard and the bathroom had everything i needed for my one night stay.

Breakfast is standard and there wasn't a great choice of hot food available but the food i did eat was adequate but nothing to shout about.

Bar prices were very reasonable for London and its open 24hrs for refreshments and snacks.

Its very close to the north acton tube station and the Pub over road is great for food and was very reasonably priced for a london boozer.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
DeputyGeneralMGR, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Park Royal, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your valued four-star review of your stay with us. It always gives us immense pleasure to hear that we were able to provide our guests with a service fulfilling expectations. However, we believe that we were unable to give our 100% and couldn’t exceed our expectations causing that last star to avoid from getting on the review. We hope to get another opportunity from you to do exactly that and assure you that your next trip to London and next stay with us will be a whole new experience!
Haz-Zebbug, Malta
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Hi , just spend eight nights in this hotel. Great value for money spent. Very cordial staff, clean hotel and good breakfast. We will return for sure when visiting London and will recommend to friends and family. Close to North Acton Tube and Westfield Mall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SimonM9964
Dear SimonM9964,

Thank you for your words of appreciation. It is very inspirational to have guests recommend other guests to stay with us and a genuine desire to return to us!

We wait for your next trip!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Our family stayed here for 3 nights and we are very sastified with the hotel in general. The hotel is located about 2 minutes walk from North Acton station, on the Central Line. Takes about 15 minutes with the tube to Oxford Street.

The rooms are very clean and large enough for our family of 3. The beds are soft and we slept very well. A little disappointed that there are no safe or fridge, but they have tea-making facilities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the morning is very crowded and the food was bland.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nam V,

Many thanks for your effort and time to write a review for our property. I am pleased to learn that your overall stay at our hotel was very satisfactory. The location of the hotel was also of convenience to you. However, I do see that your were a little disappointed due to the lack of safe and mini fridge in your room. Although, I share your disappointment, our Express brand dos not allow us to offer these service facilities in the room but we do provide safe boxes at the reception desk to our guests.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to London.