Cardiff Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$279
$231
Pullman
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$175
The Belgrave(London)(Great Value!)
$160
$131
  • Bar/Lounge
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$96
$75
$157
$125
$459
$444
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationnorfolk squaresingle roombaked beanshyde parkrooms are smallyogurtfull english breakfastlower floorplace to sleepbudget hotelplenty of hot watertea and coffee facilitiesexcellent locationpubs and restaurantsbus stopexcellent breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is very convienient for visiting London, Paddington station is just a short walk away. The hotel is quite cheap for its location. The rooms are slightly odd due to the hotel being converted from a set of large houses. The bed I had was very comfortable but the room rather cramped. A friend who was travelling with me had an even more cramped room. Breakfast was full cooked English and was very good. The bathroom, a shower unit, toilet and wash basin, was very tiny. If you imagine an airplane toilet then you have the proportions for this room. Apart from trains, boats and planes, I have never seen anything so tiny. This made the hotel tolerable for a two night stay but I would not want to stay any longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sion99
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I realize this is one of many "hotels" which are merely converted residences in London; however, I can honestly say it was just about one of the worst establishments in London I have ever experienced.

We asked for a ground-floor room as my husband has a problem with mobility. When we arrived we were told our room was on the third floor and there was no elevator. After some conversation they found us what they said was a double room on the ground floor. A broom-closet would have more space than what passed for a bathroom and if one needed to use the toilet the knees were constantly arguing with the sink. To wash hands it was necessary to leave the bathroom door open and as for linen, there was but one set per room. In the event one needed clean linen, the only set had to be washed and returned to the room the same day.

The view from the window was a bland courtyard area which could certainly not be described as aesthetically pleasing.

We had originally made reservations for two nights at the beginning of our trip to the U.K. and again for the last night prior to leaving. Needless to say, we left after one night and on the comments slip, where it asked what was my best experience, I used but one word: leaving!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank imabrummie
andrewdavies121, Manager at Cardiff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank your for your review posted almost a year after the date of your '' stay ''.
We have searched our records for your reservation and can find no record of your reservation, your reservation card, your payment or the one night refund you refer to. Also all our long term reception staff have no recollection of the stay you've described.

Be assured that we do have good record keeping.

It leaves my staff and I wondering if you have perhaps mistaken the property that you stayed at due to the 11 months time lag.
We understand that mistakes can happen and wish happy travels and use our establishment in the
future.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed for most of a two week period during our return trip to London. The Cardiff is so comfortable and accommodating; it feels like staying with friends. We have stayed here 12 different times over the years and have never been disappointed. Location in perfect for coming from Heathrow Airport and has lots of transportation options (tube, busses, trains) within a block. There are also many very good restaurants in the area. They were remodeling the breakfast room, so breakfast was not available. It is now done, so I am excited to return and see the changes.

Room Tip: There is no lift, so if stair climbing is an issue, ask for a room on a lower floor when you make reservations.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Owenthomas
andrewdavies121, Manager at Cardiff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear OwenThomas, As a Top Contributor on tripadviser thank you for leaving such a Fantastic review of our hotel. You are Wonderful ! We have circulated your kind words to all our team and its a privilege to see the the warm joy and obvious pride that glows from them as they read your kind words praising their conscientious efforts. You have made everyone proud and happy!
Our Day Room is now finished and proving popular with our guests, we hope you'll like the results when you see them.
Thank you so much.
Alex G

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in December 2012. We received the room in basement next to the dining room. When opened the window the view wasn't pretty, next to the emergency stair case and the area looks like it needs cleaning. The room size is small but cosy. Room was adequately heated. Only two rolls of tissue paper was supplied in the toilet and no facial tissue in the room. No soap was provided. We were out of the room most of the time so I suppose it didn't matter much. Breakfast was included, and they were good. Overall I would say the service is reflective of the cheap rent. But I can't complain much. Satisfactory in all areas.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 14, 2013

After reading some of the other reviews, I had a few hesitations about staying here but took the chance. I am so happy that I did. I stayed here for three nights while flat hunting and stayed in one of the single ensuite rooms. The room was up several flights of narrow stairs, and one of the hotel workers kindly lugged my very heavy suitcase up to the room for me. I had never been in a hotel like this before with such a narrow staircase and so many stairs! But it was so worth it!

Because the room was up so high and there was only one other room nearby, it was very quiet. Of course there is no way to avoid all street noise in a city, but I was not disturbed by noise from any other guests and the street noise is no more than staying in a Manhattan hotel.

The room was small but perfect for one person. I couldn't have been more happy with how it was arranged and set up. I was actually quite impressed by the efficient use of space. There was a twin size bed in the room, and it was very comfortable, and the two pillows were very comfortable as well. There was also a desk and chair. The bathroom was small, but again, perfect for one person, and it had great water pressure. The room looks new and up to date. There was great lighting, good television, enough outlets to plug in electronics, and it also looked freshly painted. The bathroom also looked very new and clean.

There was no breakfast because they are remodeling the breakfast room but there were a few other little amenities in the room. A kettle for tea/coffee, a hair dryer, and free wireless internet. The internet connection was incredibly strong. I had brought a WiFi booster to use on my trip since I'll be staying in many different locations in the UK over the next 6 months, but the WiFi signal was so strong, I didn't need to use the booster. I was able to get all my online work done easily and efficiently with such a strong signal.

The area around Paddington seems great - there are lots of little shops and restaurants around and it is so close to the tube, which makes the location very convenient. Since I'm here for work I'm not really focused on sightseeing at the moment but it seems close to all the great tourist spots.

If you want to stay in a budget hotel in central London, you will get more than your money's worth here! Three nights for $200 is an amazing rate and I think you would be hard pressed to find a budget hotel room that is so conveniently located, so comfortable and nice and new looking at this price. I am so happy that I stayed here and enjoyed my visit tremendously!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank C R
andrewdavies121, Manager at Cardiff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your honest opinions.
It was a real pleasure to read your review as you’ve noticed all the main points that we were going through before redecorating rooms in our hotel. Our aim is to keep the Cardiff Hotel in its best standard to provide our guests comfortable, enjoyable and safe stay in the central London location.
We are proud of the fact that the Cardiff Hotel is a Victorian building even though is means no lift and the bathroom space is limited, however we are trying to convert every inch into the best ergonomic use for our customers, indeed we are now building custom made beds to allow easy and convenient luggage storage during your stay.
We are so pleased that amongst other things you mentioned the new lighting that’s being installed, we’re moving to high efficiency LED, the modern high end LED products are now better than all traditional lighting products. Also the positioning of plenty of electrical outlets in convenient locations so customers can use their laptops and tablet computers while sitting in bed without electrical leads stretched dangerously across the room has been verbally appreciated by many of our guests.
We are all sorry that you’ll miss the opening of our new ‘Day Room’ on the 2nd of February, we are all really excited about setting the breakfast standards in our local area.
If you would like to visit us again, you are welcome to contact us in advance to request lower floor, facing the back to have quitter room.
Thank you for all your positive comments, it really makes a big difference to all are team, I’ve printed out you review and circulated to all out team….. You’ve caused a lot of people to smile with pride…