“Good experience at a reasonable rate”

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club
Ranked #426 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked for an overnight stay on Sunday 22nd December through Lastminute.com for £50 for a Top Secret double (without breakfast) so that we could visit The View from the Shard and watch a couple of West End shows as well as undertaking some last-minute Christmas shopping. On the morning of Monday 23rd December however we discovered that, due to likely weather disruption, we would probably not be able to travel back to the Midlands by rail later that day, so we decided to stay in London for an extra night. The Copthorne Hotel initially quoted £120 for an extra night; however they gave us the number for Lastminute.com, and we were quickly able to negotiate an additional night in the same room at £60. This was very convenient, and we certainly had no concerns about the accommodation at the price we paid.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,297)

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed at the hotel last night with my six year old son. When we checked in I explained that my son couldn't use the lift. We were shown the stairs but no offer was made for help with luggage. Room okay. Description on booking site stated dressing gowns and minibar. Minibar empty and switched off. No dressing gowns. No bottle of water in room - had to use tap in bathroom. We returned at 8.00pm and I rang room service to order my son some warm milk. Was told that they couldn't provide warm milk. They could do cold or hot but not warm. I said my son couldn't drink cold due to tummy, and clearly couldn't drink hot. Again, with no apology, simply stated they wouldn't bring him warm milk. THEN mumbled something about not having the machine to do it??? I rang duty manager. SOOOO rude. He refused to deal with it on my behalf as said it was not his job to deal with room service orders. He said he would call room service and get them to call me. I said that it was his job to sort it out. Finally, after 50 minutes they sent some warm milk to the room at which point my son was asleep. They also sent up his pasta which was cold. When I said I didn't think I should have to pay they said "Sorry, it won't be complimentary". When I checked out reception REFUSED to give me contact details or name of the general manager. I called the Duty Manager who gave me PA details. I raised issue again of milk and this time I was told it was due to bacteria in the milk and health and safety!!!!! Oh, and to add insult to injury, when reception transferred my call to room service they tried to charge me £7.26 for an alleged call made to a mobile which I knew nothing about. This hotel is shameful and not once did I receive even the slightest apology. Staff were thoroughly rude. I will never return. EVER!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner travelled on the bus from Glasgow down and never again will I get this bus. Worse experience ive had.

Got to the hotel and manged to check in early which is good never slept at all.

The room was lovely so was the bathroom.

Really glad to get into bed and just sleep.

The food is lovely too

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
millcopchelsea, PA to the General Manager at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were delighted to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that our staff managed to accommodate you. We were pleased to hear that you had a great sleep in our ever so comfortable beds as well as enjoy the food. We thank you once again for your lovely comments and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

As ever I have slightly mixed feelings about this hotel, which we have stayed at since its' opening by the Football Club many years ago. We have in the last couple of weeks stayed in both the Millennium and the Copthorne Hotels, so have had a good opportunity to compare.

For a little more luxury be sure to pay the extra and to book into the Millennium, with its' heated bathroom floors, dressing gowns, updated bedroom decor, and free wi-fi. Also if you book a club room, you have access to two hours free house cocktails a day between 5pm and 7pm in the Delta Lounge on the ground floor, and access to an executive lounge on the 6th floor, during the day for free soft drinks and coffee. You are also given a free mini bar with a couple of bottle of beer, some soft drinks, pringles and a kit-kat free, which is re-stocked daily, as well as a free continental breakfast, also in the Delta Lounge. There is also a separate check in for this hotel on the ground floor., and the lifts are usually there are waiting, whenever you need them,

Alternatively, do as we normally do and book into the Copthorne, where the rooms are a bit shabbier, but still perfectly comfortable, and a little less well designed (whoever thought it was a good idea to put a wardrobe at the foot of the bed, blocking the view of the TV from it ?). You also have the main reception area, bar and breakfast restaurant on floor one of this hotel. Here you get half an hour free wi-fi or pay £10 for 24 hours, and generally these days the system is more reliable than previously,

The major minuses of the hotel is the cost of parking - £36 for 24 hours (run by the football club rather than the Hotel). Make sure you book a space at the time of booking and that security have your registration number and make of car, to save any possible problems, and the breakfast which is distinctly average, and the one thing that has not changed in the hotel in all the years we have stayed there. It is included in our running deal with the hotel, and to be honest wouldn't pay for it otherwise. It is buffet style, cooked and continental, but doesn't stand up to other breakfasts we have had in other similar hotels.

The major plus of the hotel, apart from the fact it is at the home of my favourite football club the mighty Chelsea (lol), is the staff. Although staff turnover seems to have increased quite considerably, there are still a number of people who deserve a mention for their good and friendly service including Dele, Hendrik, and Mattiaon reception, the lovely Aditya and Ania in the restaurant, and the Concierge staff. Joyce the housekeeping supervisor is also something special, and one of the happiest, most smiley people we have ever met.

Concierge deserve a special mention Joseph and his time never fail to give excellent and friendly service however busy they are, and would also mention Alfredo, Nick and Sebastian who are always on hand if we need something.

Special mentions also need to go to Chiara who never fails to help when needed in a very cheery way, and the lovely Danny, who is one of the new duty managers, whose recent dealings with us showed him to be immensely competent, whilst still managing to be friendly and engaging. After our recent problem with Frankies (detailed elsewhere on this site) Danny, spent time with us, making us feel valued, listening to our thoughts, and even gave us a bottle of wine to say sorry for how we had been treated, although it wasn't the hotel's fault. He is an excellent ambassador for Millennium Copthorne.

All in all, this is definitely a hotel worth staying at. Great staff, good location, the football club and lots of eateries walking distance away, whether you like Nandos, pub food or Pizza Express at Fulham Broadway shopping centre and underground station (10 mins walk), or something a bit different like Lots Road Dining Room and Pub - a gastro pub with great food between the hotel and Chelsea Harbour.

Give it a try !

Room Tip: Never really had a bad room in either hotel, choose the Millennium for some added luxury.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

we arrived early and were unable to check in however we were able to leave our luggage, a bit of a strange set up with 2 hotels with similar names in the same location with 2 different check ins , we checked in at one and left luggage at the other!!!, the hotel room was adequate, the dressing gowns were hard and scratchy, the room was unbearably hot, we had to open the window not ideal when there was a home game being played. All in all it was an ok hotel with easy access into central London via Fulham broadway , would I stay again ? definatly NOT, I would opt for a cheaper hotel in central London, reason being other than the football ground and its facilities there is very little around this residential area ......

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank andysfatbird

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your standard. We do hope that you reported any issues you may have encountered with the Duty Manager who would have been happy to assist you. Fulham Broadway has many various amenities such as a mall with shops, restaurants, a health club, cinema and a number of bars. The Kings road is a 5 minute taxi ride away which has a worldwide reputation for shopping, restaurants bars and clubs. We thank you for your review as your comments always help us to further improve our service.

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Myself and a friend stayed in a twin room 1308 for one night at the Millennium Hotel.

Hotel is a 10 minute walk from Fulham Broadway (District Line) station.

Pros:
-We arrived at 10:35am and were allowed to check into the room. Mattia on Reception was particularly helpful.
-Keycard entry (one per person) to solid door with bedroom containing two single beds, shared bedside table & lamp, telephone, tub chair & circular table, cupboard (containing ironing board/iron, safe, hanging area, shelves), writing desk & upright chair, mirror, Samsung widescreen TV (with Internet access and channels including BBC News, Sky Sports, Chelsea TV) atop a cabinet containing fridge & coffee/tea making facilities, suitcase stand, long mirror, tea/coffee making facilities and a fridge. En suite bathroom with shower-bath. Effective air-con. Views of the Tube track and adjacent properties.
-Free WiFi - for a limited period.

Cons:
-Occasional noise from corridor and adjacent railway (branch line?) track.

Notes:
-There's a three-storey shopping mall at Fulham Broadway Tube station containing a Pizza Express restaurant, Vue cinema and David Lloyd fitness centre.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were delighted to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one and we were particularly pleased to see the vast amount of pros you listed in your review. We are in full agreement that the hotel is conveniently located and is close to a number of great restaurants, shops and a cinema. We thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We went over to see the Chelsea V Crystal Palce game on saturday 14th for my birthday and we stayed in the Copthorne Hotel. At reception they told me we were upgraded for free which was very nice of them. The room was pretty basic though, clean but small enough and with just one double bed so not sure what the standard room is like. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was buffet style but good and again staff were very friendly. Drinks at the bar very expensive but it is the Chelsea ground so you would expect it. Not sure I could afford it for my next trip to a game though . Tip is to shop around the sites for the best deal, there is a huge difference between booking sites!!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were delighted to hear that your stay was an enjoyable one. We were particularly pleased to hear that our staff were helpful and friendly towards you and that you enjoyed out much desired breakfast. We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.