“A hotel as good as the football club”

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club
Ranked #402 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“A hotel as good as the football club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I took my Wife to the Chelsea game for her birthday (I'm not sure how I swung it either). We checked into the hotel before kick off. It was a very smooth check in. The room on the 7th floor was beautiful. Bright and spacious, all mod cons and a lovely marble bathroom. Very comfortable bed and a great size compared to the last hotel we stayed at nearby. Breakfast was fantastic. A massive choice of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals, juices and a full English. Easy check out as well, made for a fantastic weekend (and we got three points).

Room Tip: 7th floor rooms are apparently the best rooms and have better views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
millcopchelsea, PA to the General Manager at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities provided by our hotel. Our breakfast is something to be desired and we are extremely pleased that you felt the same. We thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newport, Gwent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Booked this hotel via a late rooms who thoughtfully provided us with a twin room, despite requesting a double (it was my boyfriend's birthday, we didn't really want separate beds)! The very helpful staff immediately changed our room to a double.

The room itself was clean and tidy, very central for the tube and great for a brief night away.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were extremely pleased to hear that our staff were welcoming and helpful. If a booking is made via late rooms the room type cannot be guaranteed but our wonderful staff members will try to accommodate as much as possible. We thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Nicole Zwick
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at the Millenium for 2 nights on 10/03/13 the room was lovely, very comfortable bed, delicious breakfast. Ate in Frankies one night and had a great meal, our waiter was being trained that night and you could see the high standards expected, a really enjoyable evening.
I would have given this 5 stars but for the checking out process. We were charged an extra £18 for the mini bar which was complimentary according to the hotels website for a superior room, (i even went down to reception to confirm this before using it) i showed the receptionist the site and she agreed it was and commented how she would get in touch with marketing as it was superior plus that had the mini bar free. Low and behold when i have checked my bank account we have still been charged, i am very disappointed with this and have tried to email the hotel only to find the email not delivered, i shall continue to persue this as it is very disappointing that a compny like this could be so underhand.

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have to admit that I booked this break without any thought for the location or what we were going to do, but just thought that a weekend break in London would be nice and the special package price offered seemed reasonable!

The hotel is located near Fulham Broadway tube station and is also accessible by bus. (We travelled from St. Pancras by bus(es) with light luggage early on Friday afternoon with no problems). If you are travelling with more than hand luggage arrange a cab or private transfer.

Check in was no problem. The room (a superior) was ample size for a two night stay. We were on the 7th floor so we had view across South West London, although the adjacent flats were so close we also had views of their balconies and front rooms too!

The room was clean, but on the first night we had no shower gel and the air con would only blast out hot air, whilst it was cold outside it is desirable to have some control of the ambient temperature within the room. Breakfast was adequate “canteen food” but not memorable.

All in all a pretty standard hotel experience, and one that comes with so little information about what it offers. Maybe it really doesn’t have much to offer so it keeps quiet about it. Maybe the fact that it is attached to the Chelsea Football Stadium is enough for some. If you are not staying for the football I would advise you check the fixture list because 40,000+ people turn up for home matches.

What to do?

Here is what we got up to in London.

This may seem a little obvious, but advance planning really pays off. My initial research indicated that Chelsea would be playing at home on the Saturday of our stay. Whilst not an ardent football supporter I thought I would check this out, but it was way too expensive for my liking, and thankfully, the game was moved to Sunday after our departure.

We enjoy informal live music so that was the subject of my next search and what a result we got! The 606 Club is a small Jazz / R&B members club situated in Lots Road, about a mile from the hotel. Non-members can book but must have a meal to secure a table and drink alcohol, this does add to the cost but if you get a good performer, £100 for a whole evening’s (five hours) entertainment with food and drink for two, is not too unreasonable. We were entertained by Tony O’Malley accompanied by some very talented musicians delivering the coolest blues/soul fusions you could wish for.

We dropped into the Butchers Hook pub across the road from the hotel. A pleasant pub with an extensive wine selection; food is “gastro” in keeping with the area. Down the road in Fulham we had burgers at Byron’s; at lunchtime there was a youthful vibrant feel that was cool and relaxed with friendly service too. There is a wide selection of typical bistro burger fayre and what we had was a tasty and reasonable meal with drinks for two at £25. We had an evening meal in Frankie’s which is attached to the hotel so not a bad choice if you have had a busy day and just want somewhere convenient. Frankie’s is a “Diner” type restaurant with a reasonable choice of standard diner type dishes. What we had was well cooked, presented and served. There is a sports style theme with screens visible from every angle. It was fairly busy on the Saturday evening of our visit and there was a nice background ambience which encouraged you to linger longer than perhaps you would have elsewhere.

We pre-booked a visit to The Shard. As one of London’s newest attractions it is very busy and on the spot tickets are sparse. The downside of booking in advance is that you get your half hour slot and that’s it; turn up too early and you wait and too late and you’ve missed. However, once you have negotiated a couple of queues and the “airport” style security you are whisked up 68 floors via two elevator rides quicker than you have time to buckle your belt back on. Then, there are the views; 360 degree panoramic vistas of London as you have never seen them before; press your nose to the glass and peer down on the ant’s nest colony below or peer out towards the horizon spotting the numerous landmarks. Climb another couple of floors and you are out on the open deck; be sure to have your feet firmly grounded if you dare to crane your neck upwards towards the pinnacle of this glistening tower. At £25 per head this is an expensive trip if measured in minutes, but it is a unique and fascinating experience.

As was so fantastically demonstrated by the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant, there is nothing like a river trip to take in the majesty of London. Look out for special offers as they are plentiful (we had one thrown in with our package, and if you are not offered one ask and you may get lucky). Our trip was from Westminster Pier to Tower Bridge and was perfect for joining up with the visit to the Shard.

My final tip for visitors to London is to use the buses; from the top deck you get a fantastic view of the city streets, shops and people. The bus routes are fairly easy to navigate and if you are located away from the centre such as Fulham, head for a central hub such as Victoria and you will find routes going to, through and past many of the major sights and attractions.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were pleased to hear that your room was to your satisfaction. We do wish that you had reported the hot air issue to a member of staff who would have been happy to find a resolution for you. We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back.

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I returned from a 3 night stay in the Copthorne yesterday evening. What a fantastic hotel. We were given our room on arrival in the hotel at 10.30am. We had a wheelchair adapted room, and it's one of the only hotels I've stayed in where the concierge took me and physically showed me where the fire escape lift was. I was impressed with that.

While at the Copthorne I wondered if some of the reviewers actually even stayed at the same hotel as me :-) The staff were outstanding from the Concierge to the Receptions staff, to the house keeping/bar/restaurant staff. Very friendly and obliging. Although I must say on the match day one member of staff was a little rude to my husband when he exited the lift on the ground floor. He was shooed away and told it was a private area. As one of the first team Chelsea players was down there. That's the only fault I could pick and even at that it wasn't too bad.

The breakfast is fantastic, best I've ever had at a hotel. Fantastic range of channels on the tv. Not something I'd normally prioritise in a hotel stay but was very good thought I'd comment on it. The location was excellent, particularly if you are going to a game. 200 metres to the Fulham Broadway Tube Station where there's a Sainsburys, Boots, Starbucks, Pret, Pizza Express, Cinema, Lloyds No 1 Bar, Nandos, Yo Sushi and Waga Mamma. The bathroom was well equipped and there was tea, coffee, hot chocolate on offer and each day a different selection of biscuits, w hich I thought was a nice touch.

All in all I would definitely give this hotel two big thumbs up. Especially in terms of location etc. It's close proximity to many bars and restaurants and other amenities, the staff and service. The tube is 200 m away and you can catch a bus on the road outside the hotel to central London.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were hospitable and eager to help. We have recently upgraded our television systems and we are only too happy to hear that this too has made a positive impact on you. Many transport links are literally on our doorstep making it easy to get around in London. We thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Portsmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night before flying off on honeymoon last December. Our room was a good size and clean but the bathroom was quite basic and bare. We were woken in the morning by a stretched Hummer and stretched Porsche (yes you did read that right!) revving their engines to impress some tourists who were taking photos! The bed wasn't that comfortable and the room was hot and stuffy. We paid a cheap rate and I would not even pay that again to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. We were pleased to hear that you were satisfied with the amenities in your room but were disappointed to hear that you found the room “hot and stuffy”. We have adjustable air cooling in all of our rooms and it is unfortunate that you did not take advantage of this during your stay. We thank you once again for your comments as all feedback is appreciated.

Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked through lastminute.com so I got a great price. The Copthorne is the lesser of the two hotels in Chelsea Village, but the rooms are nice with decent flat screen TVs and plenty of space. There was a problem with the electrics in my first room so I had to move. Nothing major, just one of these things. I got a very good night's sleep and I'd say it was great value. Bit of a hike from central London, but I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were pleased to hear that your stay with us was a comfortable one and that any issues that you had with the first room were resolved quickly and without any hassle. The hotel is a 5 minute walk away from Fulham Broadway tube station and has bus routes are literally on our doorstep which is perfect for getting around London. We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.