“Weekend Stay”

Ranked #515 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
“Weekend Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife, sons and myself stayed in this hotel over the first weekend in March this year. It was very centrally located just a couple of minutes away from Victoria Station and was only about 10 minutes walk from Buckingham Palace. It is an average hotel suitiong our needs but space wise it was very cramped. We had a family room with 4 single beds and ONE WARDROBE for all four of us. It was also cramped as both our sons are 6'5" and 6'0 respectively. There was an option of continental breakfast whcih we did not avail of but which appeared very meagre. Price wise it was average but as it was London it was expected. We required to have our luggage left on our final day and we were charged £1 per case which we did resent. Other reviewers have stated that they were disturbed by the rail noise. Whilst there was noise, it was not intrusive and as the railway did run under the hotel what would you expect!! It did not disturb us however.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
north yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were greeted upon arrival by a very helpful lady on reception and given directions to our family room. Our room was basic but very clean and comfortable, 2 double beds for 3 adults and a 6year old was fine for us. Room was pretty small but only thing lacking was more wardrobe space as there was a tiny one for 4 of us and no drawers but that didn't bother us, take earplugs though as its quite noisy with trains day and night but with earplugs you can't hear them.
The location on the other hand couldn't have been better, 2mins from Victoria station with shops and bars. 10-15 minutes max in one direction from Buckingham palace and 20 minutes in the other Big Ben and Westminster abbey. No need to buy expensive tube tickets daily as everything is withing walking distance. We walked everywhere with a 6 year old so to us it was a perfect location.
Check out was 11am and they have luggage storage too which if needed is helpful.
All in all a ideal location just shame about room size.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ClaireElaine
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I could say I hated this hotel stay, but those words wouldn’t be strong enough. I will start with the positives of this hotel, there is only one so don’t blink. It's close to Victoria train station; funny thing is this was also a negative. It was very soon after arriving to the room that I started to hear the trains, this was super annoying. I swear to you this hotel was built on top of the train tracks. It wasn't only the sound but the building would move when a train passed by and there were many trains moving day and night. .
My room was in the basement level and were tiny, tiny, tiny...this was a closet not a room. There wasn't even space to put my bags. The Wi-Fi would not connect for me in the annex building which was located across the street from the main building. I told the front desk staff of the issue and three rooms later I ended up in the main building (which is the older building). My room in the main building was slightly larger than the other room but was the room had some visible wear and tear. One night one my travel companion who was staying in the same hotel but across the street was coming over to my room to have a drink before heading out when the front desk stopped him and stated he was not allowed on this side of the hotel. He refused to let him in the door and down the stairs to my room. Later that night we returned with food and a different desk person said he could not come to my room as we were going to eat the late night food we had grabbed from a street vendor. WTF...Did I pay for a hotel or did I commit a crime and I was now in jail and didn't know it. Their policy on visitors in the room is ridiculous! I want to rent a hotel room and not be guarded like a common criminal.

So as if that experience wasn’t enough, I woke up the next morning to a spider crawling on the wall beside the bed (see the attached photo). The room was hot all the time and you cannot control the temperature from the room. Also the area around the hotel is just there, nothing special at all. I do not recommend this hotel to other travelers and I will not be back unless I want to sleep with spiders and guard dogs.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at that hotel for one night of a business trip. My room, across the street was a tiny single bed camber. Everything was clean, furniture looked quite new, but right beside the rail road tracks, I could not only hear but feel trains passing. Worst of all was, that the bathroom was simply missing a heating! Walls where freezing cold and the exhaust fan did blow out air, but let cold air and train noise in as well, when turned off at night. Talking to the personell didn't help at all, - they could have brought an electric heater. I'm not going to stay there again.

Bellac, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

stayed one night as going to the theatre in the area. easy to find and close to victoria tube. booked 2 triple rooms but got one upgraded for free to a quad room (511). room very spacious for london with 4 single beds. the hotel was spotlessly clean and bathroom all ok etc. only negative to report is the rattling ceiling light fitting that rattled as soon as every train went by (from very early morning) but not too much of a hassle. staff very friendly and would stay here again if back in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed there in 2011 and frankly, it's the last time I will ever use a "Comfort" Inn. They put me in a room accross the road, which was obviously a converted scullery, more or less the size of a train sleeping compartment. No room at all to move, a door that shut badly, lights I couldn't turn off, heating that didn't work, no hot water and a noisy ventilation system. When I complained they eventually came over and fixed the "hot" water, which became lukewarm, but not the lights or the ventilation. When I told the manager I was a bit surprised at the squalidness of the room, he said "This is London mate, you continentals are spoiled. Get used to it". For £95, it was quite frankly a complete rip-off.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew W
Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Never seen such a tiny double room. Barely space for two suitcases let alone anywhere to store your clothes apart from a very small, low hanging space. Entering the bathroom required a pirouette around the door to avoid the toilet. A room suitable for an overnight stay at best. That said, everything was sparkling clean. Good location, a couple of minutes walk from Victoria Station, and surprisingly quiet given the location.

Free wi-fi in the room is advertised. Over two and a half days, the wi-fi functioned properly for an hour and a half. The rest of the time the signal was so weak connection couldn't be made meaning sitting in the corridor to get a signal. Reception denied there was a problem.

Costly under all the circumstances.

Room Tip: Double check the size of the room when booking and don't accept Reception's assurances about...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple