“First visit but will definitely return”
Review of Chamberlain Hotel

Chamberlain Hotel
Ranked #120 of 1,063 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“First visit but will definitely return”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel for long weekend with my husband. The location of this hotel was excellent - near to the DLR and to the underground and short walk to Tower Bridge. The staff were all very friendly and helpful - a smile and a very warm welcome during all contacts made with us. Breakfast was excellent. The lift broke down during our visit but not an issue for us as we would always use the stairs anyway, and the staff had ensured we were advised we could use an alternative staff lift until it was repaired. The room was very clean and also cleaned every day whilst we were out to the same condition on our arrival. Overall I could not fault it - excellent and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor facing on to the main road and didn't really have an issue with the n...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback and kind comments. It's always a pleasure to hear that someone has enjoyed their stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain in the near future.
Liz McLelland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Greek first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

A real hidden gem in Central London!

Now there is nothing wrong with a Premier Inn in my mind however they do get very boring very quickly, so I was chuffed to uncover this place.

When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff who checked us in a directed us to our rooms. The rooms were spacious, clean, and modern. WiFi for free in the bedrooms was as always a touch I admire, as business esp hotels can get so greedy with charging for this sort of thing.

The bed was very comfy and the bathroom was clean.

The real benefit of this place in my mind was the pub downstairs that did brilliant food, all very very tasty as well as real ale.

Really have no complaints about this place and will most defiantly be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and lovely comments. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am a frequent visitor to London (pleasure/business) but usually stay in the West End. This was my first stay in the City and I was very impressed with my room size and decor here. I found it very quiet at night and I got a good night's sleep.

The staff were all very professional but yet friendly at the same time. Very often in London you get one or the other, not the two together so a big plus in this department.

As a woman travelling alone, I felt very safe in this location. It was also handy for a morning meeting at the Guildhall. It was wonderful to be able to sleep later, have a leisurely breakfast and then stroll to the meeting without needing to take any sort of public transport!

I had an early flight from Stanstead on the morning of departure, and it was very handy to Liverpool Street Station and the express out to the airport (at 5am!).

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: My room looked out on the back and I found it very quiet. I could also see "The Gherkin"...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Chamberlain and will pass on your positive comments to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yigo, Mariana Islands
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The rooms were small. The elevators were slow. The stairs were steep. You could hear what goes on in the hallway very clearly. I flew through the night to get to London and checked in at 8 am and was awakened by hotel staff talking in the hall. However, I needed to get up and learn the area. All the other nights I wasn't bothered by hall noise. The hallways are a little small and a little challenging to navigate with luggage. The hotel was very close to the place where my meetings were. There is a pub attached to the hotel which proved to be a handy meeting place. The hotel is also very close to the Tower Bridge which you have to see at night. I've never seen anything like that when it is all lit up. I would go back because of the location and the price. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the restaurant was kind of pricey but there weren't many options in the area. It is a business area and alot of stores and eateries in the area close early.

Room Tip: The further away from the elevator the better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, I’m pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed you stay with us at the Chamberlain. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I will probably never go back! Not once have I had an even half-decent sleep here. It is a weird mixture of Pub and Hotel and succeeds at neither. The staff do their best but they are fighting against an avaricious owner who is committed to providing mediocrity.

The walls of the rooms are tissue thin and if the other guests don't wake you up then the bin van at 4.00 a.m. will! The hotel has no real facilities and the restaurant is an extension of the pub dining room.

This is a place for businessmen/women on a company account and not somewhere you would pay to stay with your own money. The IBIS in Commercial Street (also reviewed) holds up well against the Chamberlain.

Room Tip: First choose somewhere else to stay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank leesons2002
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, I’m sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to sleep quality. If you would like to contact me directly regarding noise issues between rooms I will be able to investigate this matter and see if a solution can be found.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed in the city for the week-end and left with a great smile on my face. The staff, both in reception and at the bar, were extremely welcoming and cared for all that I needed. The room was fantastic, very spacious and looked brand new.
I would definitely recommend this to any of my friends and if happen to be in the City again would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Norwich
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed overnight with our teenage daughters, on a theatre trip to London.
The location was perfect; 5 min walk from the Tower of London. The (luxury) room was recently refurbished, modern and colourful.
The service from all the staff we met was excellent; friendly and informative and all delivered with a smile. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family