“Tremendous hotel and great staff”

Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock
Ranked #217 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We spent 4 days in this hotel and enjoyed every single minute of it. From the engaged check-in staff to the barista and staffers in the lobby coffee shop/bar to the maids and service people, the staff at this hotel is clearly well trained and seems to enjoy their jobs. The rooms are large with plug ins for electronics and modern bathrooms. The design of the hotel is clean and attractive and the lobby lounge was entirely comfortable and well equipped for meeting/chatting and for getting serious work done. I loved it!

The location couldn't be better - at the river bank by restaurants, bars, coffee shops and a maze of shops.

I am not sure what another reviewer means when referring to not being able to find a bartender at the lobby lounge. I never had any trouble finding anybody - in fact, the staff was most attentive and one even gave me a free coffee drink!

I would come back to this hotel again and again because it's equally comfortable for business travelers and families. A home run!

Room Tip: This is one of huge few UK Hotels with two double/queen beds. All such rooms are located facing the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HoosVolleyMom
Write a ReviewReviews (1,658)

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here on business toward the end of June, the rooms are typical Holiday Inn Standard, Spacious, comfortable and clean, the Staff were helpful and friendly, the food was less than average and the menu quite limited. However the breakfast was excellent.

Very close to Cambden town and right next door to the canal, so plenty of external life,
the only Bar open in the Hotel was the lounge at the front, there didn't seem to be any staff at all manning the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your straight forward review. That leaves us with plenty of good to share and a few points to work on.

If I may, I'll contact you directly through TripAdvisor internal messaging service about the food you had so that I could understand better, and action accordingly. That would be very helpful, especially since we are going through our seasonal menu refresh. Thank you.

Now regarding our Open Lobby (just over 1 year old), I might need to inform a little more: there is indeed no 'restaurant' as such any longer. This is now a large cohesive space, you eat, drink, meet, relax or work, whenever you want, wherever you want. Our Bar (in the middle of the lounge indeed) is the 'centre of command' if you like; we look after you from there and serve you food and drinks where you choose to be.

I'd love to walk you through all of it next time you're around. Any chance at seeing you again soon?

Thank you.

Eddy Brosse
Deputy General Manager
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I p'm back in my country today but I wish I could stay at the Holiday In. Camden Lock forever. I spent three very relaxing days there in the best room I have ever had. Staff took great care of me as usual.and I can't wait to go back later this year. Thank you to all Camdeners and see you soon!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with canal view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank millgirl_13
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had our second stay at the Holiday inn Camden Lock last weekend.
It's our favourite hotel in London and is different to any other Holiday Inn we have stayed in. Love the decor, furniture and overall feel of the place.
The staff and level of service is excellent, always happy to help.
We had a Penthouse room, spacious with balcony and great views. We received a bottle of fizzy for my birthday.
Had a great sleep and didn't find it noisy. The breakfast was great especially the pancakes.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Very friendly staff especially Miguel. Spotlessly clean. Great location. Great view of the canal. Just keep out of the Wetherspoons next door for food it's appalling. Definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Watchmeister
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is very typical of a UK Holiday Inn; it does exactly what you would expect. The rooms are fine, although bathrooms are quite small. Food and bar is certainly adequate, as is the TV selection and internet. Staff were very good; friendly, helpful and professional.
Apart from the staff, what sets this place apart is it's location, right next to the canal and within seconds walk of what Camden Lock has to offer. The only down side of the location is some outside noise from pub goers at the nearby Weatherspoons.

Room Tip: If possible, avoid the Weatherspoons side because of noise
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for your honest and professional review.

It sounds like you appreciated the Camdeners, yet maybe we didn't seem as different as we wish we were? We are also quite proud of our large rooms and fresh bathrooms. Now what did you think about our Open Lobby? Our newly refreshed breakfast offer? We love it and hope you love it too!

As for the party-goers, we do offer FREE ear-plugs in every room on top of our efficient night team keeping the revelers under control.

So, when are you coming back so that we show you a stronger side of the crazy Camdeners? Looking forward to it.

Thank you.

Eddy Brosse
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stay in London quite frequently, but when my regular hotel changed brands, I needed to find a new base in London. I was taken by the Manager's responses to Tripadvisor reviews, and thought I'd give them a try. Booked a nice room, and emailed Eddy Brosse to say hello. He mailed me back, and made me feel like my email was the most important thing he'd dealt with that day.

And that feeling - that you are the most important person - was carried on throughout my stay - from being welcomed, taken up to the room, the complimentary drinks, fruit platter, free kitkats, free chocolate footballs. The front desk staff were polite, friendly and efficient.

There was one problem - but it doesn't matter what it was - the important thing is *how was it fixed*? Well, the problem took 2 front desk staff and the manager off what they were doing until it was fixed, (which didn't take long, no stress) and then I got a nice surprise gift of a delicious fruit platter and a drink, and the front desk rang again to apologise.

OK, the room: on the canal side of the hotel, I was expecting awful things after reading some of the reviews. Nothing disturbed me. There is a Wetherspoons across the way from the hotel, their outside drinking licence is only to 11 so it got quieter then, but with windows and curtains shut it was hardly noisy in any case. And even if it was I could have used the (free, supplied, don't have to ask) earplugs. Holiday Inn beds are wonderful, I've never slept badly in one, and this was no exception.

So, great staff, great atmosphere, great rooms, great views, great beds, and a great location. Camden Town has a lot of interest - from music and the arts to shopping, street food, great restaurants, bars to suit every taste, also of historic interest. London Walks do a Camden Town walk which was interesting. Camden Town Tube station is a few minutes' walk away, but be warned it is open for exit only on Sunday afternoons. Chalk Farm and Morning Crescent are a walk away, but what I did was hop on a Boris Bike (there's a bike station opposite the hotel) and £2 (for 24h access) you can get to Euston in 5 or 10 minutes and the West End in 20minutes or so. Bearing in mind that journeys of 30' or less are free, this is a great way to get around. The 24 bus takes you down through Tottenham Court Road, Charing Cross Road, Trafalgar Square before going past the Houses of parliament and Westminster Abbey on its way to Victoria. So Camden Town's got good transport links as well!

Booking my next stay already!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Right Nick, let me put you out of your misery as I know you won't rest until you get a proper response! lol.

First, a big 'THANK YOU'!! No you didn't bother me when reaching out direct, as you said I do enjoy the engagement ... please carry on! And for all the reviews I haven't answered yet, there is no favouritism (no), only a one-man band here who struggles to cope with the sheer volume. So bear with me please ... I'll get to yours, I wouldn't miss that.

Now back to 'fun Nick'. Well, it was a little challenge to take over the role of a 4.5/5* sister property as your London pad. But through great conversations we understand better and we're better suited to look after you; whether it is all hunky-dory, or there are blips on the way. As I told you while chasing you in the street on your departure, I suddenly 'woke up' after a very tough week and realised I hadn't seen you or did anything (felt bad), but we caught up before you left. Relief!

It was very nice having you around, I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation (looking forward to your coming) and can't wait for more! Copy that? ;-)

Eddy & all that fun lot here, the Camdeners (they all say "Hi! Camden")
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock