“Fun, comfortable hotel in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Space Apart Hotel

Space Apart Hotel
Ranked #304 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Fun, comfortable hotel in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip to London. We found the Space Apart Hotel chic and hip without being at all pretentious or too over-the-top. We really felt "at home" there!

Most of all, it was comfortable, while still adding a little character and ambiance to our first 5-night London experience. The room had all kinds of neat bells and whistles like adjustable bed, DVD player and ipod dock, towel warmers, and of course, the well-stocked full-service kitchen. The free wifi was definitely a plus!

The gentlemen at the front desk were always cordial and friendly, and very welcoming checking us in. They not only made us feel welcome at the hotel, but welcome in London as well!

We booked one of the standard rooms (at the least expensive rate), and we were worried that maybe we should have booked the Premium room after hearing how small the standard rooms are. But it turned out to be surprisingly roomy. We had a room on the ground floor, (the door directly next to the staircase) and we found it incredibly spacious.

The bed and pillows were SO comfortable. I slept really well there, which is not even something I can always say for myself at home. I'm a bit of a restless sleeper, but I felt comfortable, safe, and relaxed at the Space Apart. The worst noise we heard was the sound of birds singing early in the morning. And by "worst", I mean "quite lovely." :)

Unfortunately we did get the one room without the in-room washer/dryer, but the very nice gentleman at the front desk told us we could use the washer/dryer on the third floor any time. We ended up having more than one small load of laundry anyway, so my husband very easily found a laundromat nearby and popped out to do some laundry while I was getting ready one day, which didn't take long, and he didn't seem bothered by it. :) We used the third floor washer to do our towels. I had thought the in-room washer/dryer was going to be one of the key features most utilized by us, but not having it really didn't take away from our enjoyable stay in the least.

It is to be noted that you are in charge of your own housekeeping at this hotel, because it is actually a "service apartment." A bucket of cleaning supplies is provided in your room. Again, this did not take away from our enjoyment of our stay whatsoever. We managed to keep the room tidy.

The bathroom was kind of small, but efficiently designed, and really cool. The wall texture and the cool lighting really added a fun funky vibe to the room, and the raindance shower was roomy enough, and very luxurious and relaxing after a long day walking around London. I also found I had plenty of room to do my hair and makeup in there.

The hotel also had a DVD and book library with a great selection. We were delighted that they even had four seasons of our favorite British show (Peep Show) in their DVD library!

We enjoyed stocking up on a few food items (and having cold drinks in the fridge!) and eating some of our meals in the room. We didn't go to great lengths to cook anything too elaborate, but you actually could if you wanted to. The kitchen comes with a full range of cooking equipment.

There are plenty of little grocers and markets around within easy walking distance. We bought some delicious and fun "specialty" food items at Marks & Spencer (loved that store!) and some great basic fresh groceries at Sainsburys as well.

The hotel is also in easy walking distance to the Bayswater Tube station, so it is really easy to get anywhere you need or want to go in London! The Kensington Gardens Square area is a lovely neighborhood of white-columned buildings, and there are plenty of restaurants, pubs and shops nearby. (Even a small, stylish shopping mall! Look for Marks & Spencer there.) Just walk out the door and see what strikes your fancy!

I am really glad we chose the Space Apart for our first stay in London. I compared rates and reviews of many hotels before choosing this one, and for the money, you can't beat the quality and location. We had a great time!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

This apartment was in a great location, close to underground and within a few minutes of lots of restaurants and bars. Accomodation was spotless, well equipped and although small (this is normal for London) it was a good use of space, although the bed which was on a mezzanine level was a little difficult to get into as you cant stand up straight! Just as well Im only 5,2!
On the whole I would definately stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stacey C
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The staff are friendly and helpful, and as a single female traveller, I felt very safe.

I had a studio apt. on the ground floor and was delighted with all the facilities, which included a dishwasher and washing machine. The apt. was clean and attractively furnished. I really appreciated the consistently piping hot water and heated towel rail. The weather has been chilly and wet and it was great to return to a warm room, and have no problems drying my coat etc. The free WiFi is also a big plus.

The atmosphere is quiet and peaceful, and the hotel is part of an attractive square. It is only 5 mins walk to Bayswater tube and central London can be reached within less than half an hour. There is a Sainsburys Local in Westbourne Grove nearby.

I had a lovely stay here and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a view of the square. My room was towards the rear of the building but I ex...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Vic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Given the relatively modern fit-out and the excellent facilities - which include a stove, microwave and washer/dryer as well as a fridge - this hotel is a bargain. And unlike a lot of budget London hotels, there's enough room to swing a cat . . . just.

Bayswater itself is a bit of a blah area for tourists, apart from its proximity to Hyde Park, but you're close to a number of tube stops that put you in easy reach of much of London.

One negative was that my room in the basement got no natural light. Also, the linen on the bed is very cheap and probably could have been replaced a while back.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the basement
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jedro11
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I found this property on Agoda, and booked a standard double stuido after reading the glowing reviews here on Tripadvisor. The rooms are Incredibly well-appointed/equipped. Located across from a quiet garden square and surrounded by great restaurants and transport links, Space Apart really felt like home during my stay over 18 nights.

Despite arriving rather late (flight delay meant I only reached the hotel well after midnight) I had no problems checking in. The night manager (Phillip,who resides on-site) checked me in quickly and gave a tour of the room's facilities, which included a kitchenette complete with dishwasher, as well as a washer/dryer. There were pans, pots, plates, bowls, glasses, etc in the cabinets as well, which allowed me to cook simple meals instead of eating out or getting takeaway every night. The bathroom was compact, but incorporated a rain shower. There were also 2 built in wardrobes, with tons of storage as well as a small safe to store valuables.

Having lived for 12 years in London, I was not expecting the room to be huge, unlike other reviews which have criticized the lack of spaciousness of the rooms. Anyone familiar with major cities like London (or Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, etc.) will understand that it is extremely rare to find this combination of price/space in a central location. If you do a comparison of other service flats and apartments on offer, there are almost none which can match the location and average room rate.

The management team deserves a special mention for being very friendly and helpful, especially Phillip and David. Will definitely be coming back on future trips to London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Neat and cozy place to stay, modern but have a good ambience. Everything you need is well provided. Located in the heart of London with good access for public transportation. Super friendly management that always accomodate your need.

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have just recently stayed 4 nights at Space Apart Hotel with our 9 year old. We booked a Triple room over 9 months prior to our stay. On arrival (late 9pm) we were given the only triple room left, which was tiny and had loft sleeping. The apartment was significantly smaller than expected (based on web-site photos), and felt like the loft was added simply to be able to use this space as an apartment.

The emergency floor-plan on the back of door showed that this was the smallest apartment on the ground level, which was surprising for what is the most expensive room type available. It was quite claustrophobic sleeping in the loft due to the low roof - not even our 9 year old could stand in this space and you are bound to bump your head getting in and out of bed. This was further compounded by the bed being only a small double and extremely hard.

The apartment is very modern, with nice furniture. The kitchen and bathroom are well appointed, and it was great to have a washer/dryer within the apartment. Another benefit was an opening window which allowed for fresh air. Having read other reviews regarding the Wifi I feel that I have to comment. When it was operating it was really fast and we had no problems. However, it seemed to be offline from about midnight until 7am each night, which was not ideal for us in contacting family in Australia via email and Skype.

The apartment was clean, and was not serviced in the time we were there. We knew this and it was not a problem at all. Supplies can be replenished if need be. There are no food stocks (not even coffee/sugar) in the apartment so everything must be purchased from the supermarket.

The staff were all very helpful and courteous. Whilst it's in easy reach of a wide selection of restaurants and supermarkets, it is at least 500m from Bayswater station (the closest tube) and almost 1km from Queensway station. The street is pretty quiet with little through traffic and the neighbourhood felt very safe.

This stay could have been all the better (and five star rating) had we been lucky enough to be allocated one of the better triple rooms. I suspect that your experience at Space will very much come down to the luck of the draw as to whether you get one of the bigger/better rooms of whatever class of room you book - for example all triples are the same price but ours was tiny in comparison to others. We were disappointed because having booked 9 months in advance and for 4 nights - we had thought we would have been allocated one of the better ones and not just left with what was available at 9pm on night of arrival.

Room Tip: If you are booking a triple, see if you can guarantee the actual room prior to arrival and avoid the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family