“Very nice place to say - a pleasant surprise”

Hotel Montana Excel
Ranked #774 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very nice place to say - a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Having decided to spend Friday night in our glorious capital city (London) I needed to find myself a cheap bed and breakfast so that I could spend the night and not have to sleep in a train station when for the first train in the morning… In a drunken stupor. As any regular reader to my reviews here on this site will know I am regularly going down to London and, to be frank, I have probably stayed in most of the bed and breakfasts in and around Victoria and King's Cross area. As it happens this Friday I found myself in the Montana Excel and you know what ? It actually wasn't that bad ! The hotel is situated in the Argyll Square area which is just 30 seconds walk away from King's Cross/Euston. There are hundreds of bed and breakfasts all along the square and the surrounding roads. At night time it may seem quite foreboding but don't let that put you off. The bright lights of King's Cross and the Marylebone Road mean that you really are only a few minutes away from the West End. If you decide to walk through the Bloomsbury area to hit West End you will be treated to glorious architecture (reams of Peabody trust estates and some positively ' grand design' type houses spring up in an erratic fashion that really makes London unique. Okay, to business what about the bed-and-breakfast. Well it was raining when I arrived and the (very pretty) receptionist knew that did not want to make chitchat and would rather change at my wet clothes so check-in was done within 30 seconds. I was find it amazing that the bed and breakfasts behind King's Cross have managed to perfect the check-in/checkout process to within 60 seconds yet some of the glorious five-star hotels but exist in London give the impression that they take pride in extending the check-in/checkout process elongating the process to 30 min or so with longer. The rooms are fairly basic affairs. Even though I had booked for a single I was actually given a twin room–absolutely no problem. As is the case of all of these types of rooms you get a standard microscopic television, basic coffee facilities and a heater that pumps out heat with almost thermonuclear efficiency. However, my room (G5) actually happy decent size shower built in - not a Tacked on pod but actual shower Which Was a Pleasant Surprise. And Indeed, The Showers were very good with very decent water pressure and water temperature. Later that night when I returned from my drinking in the West End of the room was incredibly hot and there was a thumping great sound coming from the heater. Indeed, this thumping great sound to give a good impression of being a jet engine in the room. I called the receptionist to come and fix the sounds so that I could get some sleep and he promptly turn off the heat and a few minutes later the sound subsided. In fact I was very impressed with the speed in which he came in and sort out the problem. I also tried the breakfasts in the Montana Excell and to be honest the bloody fantastic !!! Seriously where else can you get a decent cuppa coffee, a bowl of cornflakes and a decent fry up the next to nothing? I would heartily recommend a breakfast at the Montana excel.
ALl in all I have to say I was very impressed with this bed-and-breakfast. The night cost me £50 in total (which includes breakfast) I would stay here again and the place comes very highly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask at the front desk if you need anything. superefficient.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carl427

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Ireland
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The title says it all really... I wish we had read the reviews before we booked this hotel.The room was cold, uncomfortable and very small. We couldn't wait to leave. Also service was unprofessional and bathroom and shower facilities were very poor

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have never understood why people want to spend a fortune to stay in a hotel (especially in London) when you can pay so little and still get what you need. The rooms are small but not so small that you couldn't move. We were very comfortable in our room and they were cleaned daily.

This hotel is in a great location. Two minutes walk to Kings Cross/St. Pancras and a five minute walk to Euston.

My only complaint would be the shower. It's not in it's own room and has a glass door so people in your room can see you showering. We did try putting up a towel over the shower door only to find the shower didn't have a light in it.

Breakfast was great.

Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My friend and I booked this place back in May for a two-night stay in September. It looked just fine -- small but well outfitted -- from the photos, and we must have missed the really bad reviews.

The room was beyond small. There was barely enough room to move about with the two of us and our luggage (we had just a carry-on and one suitcase each, plus a guitar). All the pictures depict nightstands: I would like to know where our nightstand was. The only surface was the tiny "table" that held the TV (which we never watched): there was about 1 ft x 1 ft of space on that and my friend used it. We were constantly climbing over things and I had to leave everything in or on my bags on the floor as there was nowhere to put anything.

The beds were lumpy; the mattresses were god knows how old. I could not sleep the first night as my mattress was hitting me in a pressure point in my lower back. The pain didn't go away no matter how much I adjusted and moved around. The second night I switched beds with my friend. Her mattress was lumpy, too, but not as bad.

The shower was in the room, which was completely carpeted. (I don't get that.) There was no place at all to hang our towels--or jackets, for that matter: no hooks, no chairs. The shared WC down the hall was tiny and had one hand towel for everyone's use. (Not sanitary.)

I thought the requirement to leave one's key with the front desk attendant was odd, but it worked fine for us.

I liked the breakfast. The toast, beans, eggs, cereal and tea were great. We never had much time for breakfast, unfortunately, plus there was limited seating, so we didn't want to overstay and make others wait.

There was (to my friend's surprise) towel (and we presume sheet) service. This place felt much more like a hostel than a hotel. (I've stayed in a few hostels in Europe; this was my first time staying in a hotel in Europe, though, so maybe they just do things differently?)

Room Tip: Room 201 is bad, I can say that. (The rooms are not all equal, I see from the photos.)
norfolk
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Grotty is a word that comes to mind. The room was very small, the window was broken,chipped flaking paint, signs of damp and dirt everywhere. The small shower in the corner of the room was difficult to wash in , if you were bigger than a size 8 then you would have no chance!. The toilet was on a different floor and just as bad. Breakfast was a cattle market with not enough tables, everyone cramped in so had to give that a miss, probably a lucky escape. Complained to staff who just stated "well thats how it is". You certainly get what you pay for lol . My advice is spend a few more quid to stay somewhere decent with staff that care and realise what is important to the customer. I mean lets face it, its not rocket science is it lol!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of days at begining of September, the hotel is basic but is all you need for a short stay, room was a twin on second floor, it had a shower and a wash hand basin in the room, toilet was out in the corridor. The wash hand basin in the room had a smelly drain, the smell that came from the drain was a urine smell (probably from lazy guests who couldn't be bothered going accross the corridor to the toilet), after pouring some shampoo down the drain the smell eventually cleared.
Bedroom was basic but perfectly fine.
Breakfast could have been a bit later than the 9am cut off especially at weekends. Breakfast was very basic but ok for the money.
Based on the money, not a bad hotel!

london
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Only matched by the dreadful war movie on tv, this mis advertised "double" room had 3 single beds and didn't even have its own toilet. The polystyrene cups provided summed it up drearily.
Definitely not the location for a romantic evening, but at least there are nearby restaurants to escape to. Overpriced at the price. Grim. Had to laugh.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple