“Nice hotel, shame about the bed”

Holiday Inn Express London Stratford
Ranked #331 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The HI Express at Stratford is a great location, only a few minutes walk from the DLR and Jubilee Underground, with great access to Central London. The hotel itself has been spruced up for the Olympics and is very smart with very helpful staff. The area is a bit of a desert in terms of restaurants and facilities - the HI Express provides an excellent complimentary breakfast. The rooms are very well organised and smart with a great bathroom with modern fixtures.

My only average rating reflects the most important element of a stay, the bed. We stayed two nights, and I'm very glad it was only for two and no more. We discovered during our first night, that the bed was ridiculously soft and bouncy. This meant that my partner and I both suffered badly from aching backs, and also that the slightest movement by either of us could result in the other person being catapulted on to the floor. Talking of floors, the boxspring and/or mattress were so bad that we ended up moving the mattress and sleeping on the floor.

Following calls to the front desk, we discovered that the hotel didn't have any form of board for the bed, and that apparently this 'newer' mattress was the standard for the IHG chain. Now I'm no real expert but I don't recall waking up and feeling like Herman Munster after sleeping in any North American establishment within the IHG group. After much pleading the following morning, we toured the hotel trying to find a better mattress for the second night, and ended up in another room with something slightly more acceptable. I have to say the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

This is an enormous shame as I really liked this hotel and the great staff who work there. I wouldn't stay here again because of the likelihood of having to endure a night on a rack.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerE15, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time and commenting us on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear you liked our hot breakfast buffet selection, hotel location and our friendly staff service.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lack of sleep you had because of the bed. I can reassure you, that your comments are highly appreciated and are taken into consideration for when we are replacing the current mattresses. We feel that you were mislead by our employees to thinking that all Intercontinental Hotels have similar beds. However, this is incorrect as franchisees have the opportunity to decide their own suppliers under the general guidance of our parent company.

Thank you once again and we do hope that we can offer a more comfortable sleep on your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express London Stratford

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Been in worse Holiday Inn Express as location was surprisingly near tube and DLR connections!! 5 minute walk was a 5 minute walk. Reception team very friendly and efficient. Room comfortable but could be cold . Good sleep and very quiet . Breakfast fine , excellent coffee. Good base for attending Excel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank eildonedinburgh
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nice typical Holiday Inn Express - you know what to expect if you have stayed in any other HI Express worldwide. This is one of the newer ones - larger shower, now double size (still no bath), new higher spec black tiles with the new squeezy combined shower gel/shampoo so no need to take your own if you're not fussy!

Breakfast is very nice (and included in the room price unlike many other London hotels) and now includes hot food such as bacon, scrambled eggs and baked beans as well as fruit and cereals. Two self service hot drinks machines and plenty of seats/tables available. The fruit juice didn't taste watered down either - bonus!

Main gripe - the bed! As other reviewers have mentioned it is very low and the mattress is waaaay too soft - come on Intercontinental you can do better than this! Also I could not tell the difference between the 'firm' and the 'soft' pillow either!

Plus points - its about a 6/7 minute walk from Stratford tube station. You can get to central London (Holborn station) from Stratford tube station in 15 minutes. Stratford is not as far from the centre of London as it looks on the tube map.

Top Tip - when arriving at Stratford tube station to get to the Hotel follow the exit signs for Stratford town centre NOT the Westfield Mall (unless you want to go straight to the Mall of course! PS its an amazing Mall if you like that kind of thing). There is another Holiday Inn (Staybridge Suites) right in the Mall so don't confuse this hotel with that one!

Turn right at the bus station as you exit the tube station to get to the hotel. There is currently some construction taking place here (Nov 2012) so just follow the diversion signs to the right. Its actually a short cut back to the main road!

There is a handy off license (Spookily named Annunaki!) across the road from the Hotel which is open until Midnight (you cannot purchase alcohol from there after 11pm) for any essentials you might need.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank sge31
Reviewed November 5, 2012

good position (5/10 minutes on foot to the underground station, 20 minutes by underground to arrive in London downtown).
Very clean, very good breakfast.
Room space sufficient for a short holiday.
Helpful and kind staff.
A terrible bed, mattress too soft!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear mauro m,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you liked our location, breakfast and helpful staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you were not satisfied with the comfort of the bed in your room. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here back in April and have to say it was a lovely hotel. Nicely situated, very close to the Olympic stadium, at which time they were still building it so we got to see all that. Close to Westfield shopping centre too. Room was quite small, double bed and a double sofa bed squeezed in so for 3 of us it was a very tight squeeze to get about. Luckily we didn't spend too much time in the room! Breakfast was a slight downfall, had to wait to use the toaster for about 15mins, of which time we had all finished our breakfast! Bathroom stunning, small but adequate. Bath would of been nice but no room. Had interactive wall in reception which was a great help with planning our days out!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
ManagerE15, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time and sharing your experience at Holiday Inn Express Stratford.
I am sorry to hear that breakfast service did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that your comments were past on F&B department to review and improve the service during breakfast.
As per brand standard, none of the Holiday Inn Express hotels have bath tub in bathrooms. However, it is nice to hear you liked shower and the Moncierge screen at reception.
The next time you will be visiting Westfield or Olympic Park, we will be pleased to welcome you and your family once again!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I am no fan of escalators so I try and avoid the tube if I can so I booked the extra trip from Victoria coach station straight to Stratford which added a couple of pounds on to my trip from Dorset. It also gave me a lovely drive right through the city at night and drops you just off of Stratford High St, at the station. I jumped in a cab which cost £5 but this was only because I had heavy luggage - otherwise its about a 10 min walk to the hotel.

Check In

Fast, friendly and efficient. Nice reception area, clean and bright with a large seating area (also used for meals) and a bar.
1 lift was out of order so it was a wait but negligible.

Staff

Always happy, friendly and smartly dressed. I didn't come across one miserable staff member in 3 days from the cleaning staff to the concierge - they were all excellent.

Room

I was on the 6th floor and the room was small and basic. Clean, Tidy and very comfortable. Hanging space, TV, shelving for clothes. Hairdryer. No in room safe but there are some in the foyer to use.
Bathroom had a lovely shower with small sink area and toilet.

Breakfast was excellent. Great choice of cereal, fruit, toast and condiments, cooked breakfast. Self service.
Even though I had to leave extra early there was enough of a selection to make sure I ate properly each day.

Pricing

£112 per night for 2 adults, this is approx and does vary
The bar was reasonably priced for London.

Location

Near the Excel, the DLR and tube (Jubilee Line from Canning town via DLR) So very accesble to most areas.

Score

So overall for Hotel accommodation 8/10
Food 7/10
Staff 9/10
Concierge 10/10
Bar 8/10
Internet Cost 1/10 (ridiculous)

I would totally recommend this hotel if you are after somewhere friendly, clean and comfortable. For the Excel it is easily accessed and if you are attending an event there - perfectly positioned. Lovely staff, Great hotel! Thank you Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LemoncakeUK72

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time and posting such a detailed feedback on your recent stayed with us!
We are delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed breakfast food and staff services. We always strive to provide excellent customer service and make you feel at home!
The location is truly great – especially for visiting ExCel, O2 Arena, Westfield and Olympic park.
Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Me and a mate stayed here for 1 night for the MCM London Expo at the ExCeL centre. We only payed £80 in total which really surprised me for such a sought after location right beside the amazing Olympic Park and the very convenient Westfield Stratford City shopping centre only 5 minutes walk away!
We were allowed to check in from 3 PM the day we arrived as my mate was incredibly shattered from the overnight bus we had the night before and being on the move from about 6 AM non stop! After he crashed the bed we went to the brilliant Westfield centre which is packed full of pretty much every shop you can think of, the restaurants there all look delicious and the variety is vast!
The breakfast in the morning was pretty good too, I didn't personally have a lot as I was going to be meeting a lot of friends and having many (Non Alcoholic) drinks and Japanese snacks with them! It certainly filled my mate up for the day who was full right up to our trip into Chinatown! I stuck to the fairly decent range of Continental Breakfast stuff and yes, there is a standard selection of Cooked Breakfast too!
Check In/Out was quick and easy and you couldn't complain at all about the quality of service we were offered.

There are some cosplayers and Expo-goers out there who complain about the lack of hotels to the ExCeL and their extortionate cost but this hotel is an ideal location for both before and after thanks to the multitude of restaurants at Westfield!
I'd certainly use it for the next convention in May 2013!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skytree95

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and got a really great room rate! It is truly convenient for visiting ExCel and Westfield – which has so many places to do shopping and dine out with family and friends!
We hope to welcome you back in May 2013 or even sooner!