“Great Location, good accomodation.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cedar Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cedar Guest House
Ranked #427 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“Great Location, good accomodation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

Good access to London centre from here, London is expensive for rooms and this was a good option, but not cheap. Room had more beds in than it should have had really and sloped roof, and old-fashioned bedding, but very clean.

Staff very friendly and helpful, no English cooked breakfast, but basic continetal breakfast was ok to start the day. We were confused between Hugh St and High St to find it but that is our fault.

Would recommend to others

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EugenisMoscow

Richmond, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

My friend and I stayed here the first week in June 2008. We had 2 twin bed and shared a bathroom with 1-2 other rooms on the top floor. The room we were assigned has a sink, a wardrobe, a mini fridge, hot water maker, dishes, two beds, a nightstand and a TV.

I did a lot of researched and thought this would be a great choice seeing as the UK was so expensive when we went. I think the pound was double the USD. Anyway, this guesthouse is located in the middle eastern part of London. My friend and I felt a little awkward wearing shorts, ect because many women had full on burkas. I mean the men sort of starred not in a angry way but it was kinna creepy.

We checked in, that was all fine.... but there is no elevator. We were on like the 4th floor. The stairs were TINY and hauling our luggage up and down them was the worst part. I mean tiny. Like... the top part where our room was it was windy like your grandmothers creepy attic small. The room seemed to be pretty clean. The bathroom was right outside our door and had a toilet and a shower. Everything looked relatively clean but you really cant think too much about it, otherwise is grosses you out. There is a sink to wash your hands once your done in the bathroom. It was nice to have it in our room to brush our teeth and do our hair and make up... but not being able to wash your hand right after you use the bathroom is gross in my opinion. Which is what leads me to believe this is how I got PINK EYE on the third day there. There's no telling for sure as I'm sure I could have gotten it from the metro and rubbing my eye, ect. Even though I washed my hands every time I used the bathroom, right after doing so, you touch multiple door handles, ect before you can. So make sure you use hand sanitizer or buy the mini Lysol spray and use it on the door handles, toilet flusher, ect.

The food was restocked in the fridge every morning. There were 2 orange juice (capri sun), 2 mini baby bell cheese rounds, a mini milk, cereal and croissants. A decent breakfast/snack. We were broke so this was a feast to us. (I've included a picture) -- Make sure you rinse out your dishes they give you though. I'm sure they're not washed in a dishwasher and only in the sink in your room.

The beds were relatively comfy and the TV worked jut fine. There wasn't a view where we were (even though we were on the top floor). It was also pretty quiet. You have a key to both your door and the front door if I remember correctly so you can come and go as you please.

We had to take a cab usually because we kept getting lost and couldn't figure out which bus got us back there. There's a bugs stop very close though... we could just never figure out how to get back. That might just be our stupidity though. There is a pharmacy, grocery store (with liquor) plenty of hooka shops, internet shops, ect around the guesthouse if you need anything. I wouldn't consider it centrally located. Its just off a big street and one of the train stations is a decent walk away with luggage.

Oh yeah... there was some gross crusty thing on the bed cover. I've included a picture.

Overall, this is just my experience. You may have a drastically different one. For the money, it was a decent place to stay. Would I stay there again? Probably not. If we had been given a different room maybe we would have had a better experience. Who knows. Hope this review helps!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank SW33TP86
London, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2010

stayed here in september of 08.... thought the service as crappy ..took that we only paid 84 dollars per night you get what you pay for...left after 2 days headed to italy as per plan got to italy found out my credit card was maxed out ...when i talked to credit card company
found out that there were 2 transactions for 840 pounds each for this hotel ....my advice check your receipts ......

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank driscoll_229
Chihuahua, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

Never stay at this "hotel", NEITHER AT "IVY HOTEL"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent a couple of days in London last May, 2008 and I made a reservation for a single room in Cedar Guest House. It's been, by far, the worst hotel I've ever been. I travel a lot, Cuba, India, Singapore, Scotland, Dubai, Mexico, etc; sometimes economy or high budget, but this place has been the only hotel I've been scared during my stay.

When I arrived to the airport, I called right away to the hotel and the man at the front desk said they couldn't have completed my reservation process because my credit card was not accepted. I told him that my CC was working properly and that I was going to arrive by 10pm. The man said that he could only keep my reservation for that night and ONLY, and just because I called him before arriving. He said my cc was not working because all the rooms were full.

I arrived to the hotel that night and they said they did not have enough rooms at this hotel, so he took me to the hotel next door (they have like 6 or 7 hotels along the same street, all the same MERD). the ivy.

No elevator, dirty carpets, tiny and stinking rooms, dirty sheets, and everything very creepy and old. Toilet broken and dirty, shower not working. OBVIOUSLY I couldn't use the shower, and the toilet door was broken. Very noisy.

Next morning he offered me "the basement" as a room! He said he was going to let me stay that night in a dirty, stinking, humid room in the backyard and the door had NO LOCK! ONLY FOR 35 POUNDS! COME ON! I left the hotel and I had to look for another hotel that same morning!

SCARY!!!!

• Disliked — cleanless
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank ratolina
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

The reviews that i have read so far, do not do this god awful place justice. it has to be the most misrepresented place (could not call this a hotel) on the web.

all 3 rooms that we were shown in this and 2 other of their neighbouring hotels were very dated, filthy, smelled of must, and not at all like the photo's shown at the time we booked.

shortly after demanding payment for our room up front, i soon realised why this was the hotel policy, some people would just stay and put it down to a bad experience rather than argue for a refund.

i asked for a refund and duly got what i wanted after they realised that it wasnt up for discussion.
tip; never pay for any hotel room before you see what your getting for your money.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank globalguru
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2008

My partner and I had arrived London from Aberdeen to attend a conference. We headed for Cedar guest house located on 30 Hugh Street, London. We had a two-night booking for a double en-suite room. The first shocker was that we met the entrance door locked. As we looked around, a haggard-looking Indian approached us and asked us to come with him. He took us to the reception of another hotel in the neighbourhood, called Holly Guest House. All the man, another Indian was interested in was payment on arrival. We made payment and we were led back to Cedar guest house where we were shown to our room.
Shocker No.2. No sooner had we settled down than we heard banging on our room door. On opening the door, here was an old woman in her 90s, yelling some incomprehensible words. My partner was afraid and we complained to the haggard-looking man (the supervisor) who merely said ‘sorry’. We later learnt that this old woman is that great grant mum of the owner and lives in one of the rooms in the guest house. How can you keep an old woman in a guest house? A guest house is not an old people’s home nor is it a nursing home! Nevertheless, the old woman’s embarrassment continued unabated including the night as the old woman wondered about the corridors knocking at doors.
Shocker No. 3. The service ladies from East European live in one of the rooms where you hear noises throughout the night. In the room where we stayed, the heating was not working, yet we are told on their website central heating, and the toilet leaks water on the floor.
Our experience as Shocker No. 4. It was breakfast time the following day. We arrived the room only to find a plate of cornflakes, a jug of fat milk, a jug of orange juice and a few jam and butter wraps. When the service lady came, she said ‘tea or coff” (yes, ‘coff’). I requested for coffee and she brought instant coffee packs normally put in the rooms and a cup of hot water. I requested for brown bread and brown sugar. The service lady became angry and left. The supervisor came to us and said, the lady DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH. I told him what I wanted only for him to come back with 8 slices of almost burnt white bread and he said ‘we don’t have brown bread and we don’t have brown sugar’. I now asked if the hogwash they now presented us are what advertised as serving continental breakfast on their website. To my astonishment, the man said, ‘that is all we have here!’ I wonder what they mean by continental breakfast! We never bothered to come back for another breakfast. Throughout our stay at Cedar Guest House, the supervisor never spoke to us again.
Our experience at the hands of these greedy, money mongering Indians leave much to be desired. But it is a lesson for others. Firstly, do not believe all you read on their websites. Look for reviews which will assist you make an informed choice. Beware when the hotel insists on payment before service. They are only interested in your money, not service. At best, operators of these guest houses are nothing more than crooks. How can I book a guest house and you are taken to another on arrival? I just hope they will not tamper with my credit card details. They are deceptive and calumnious. Unlike in Scotland where all hotels, guest houses, and B&B are rated and ratings are conspicuously displayed, there is little to show these in these London guest houses. They are not regulated to control their activities. That is why it is possible for Cedar Guest House to be operating as a guest house without any reception office, and guests are forced to cohabit with old people in the same place. Potential lodgers should BEWARE!!!

I could be contacted at preference@hotmail.co.uk

• Liked — The location and nothing more.
  • Disliked — The service. An old woman aged 90+ lives in the guest house and disturbs guests. the manager lacks any sense of courtesy. those writing positive reviews about this hotel are only being diplomatic.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BeadsAberdeen
Pescara, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

I am just back from 3 days spent in London at Cedar Guest House. I started to look for a budget hotel from 21st of October and even if I contacted more than 50 facilities, I did not mamage to find the suitable one. Then I received the answer from Cedar; rooms were available and I could book online. I tried to, but it seemed there was no availability. By mail, I received confirmnation the rooms were booked. I was very suspicious both because of the online missed booking and because of the negative reviews I read here and on venere.com.

Arrived at Cedar, there was the risk the rooms were in Cedar as well as in Ivy, Alexander, Annexe and Holly (all on the same street and owned by the same person) because I did not manage to obtain this info before. We checked in at Holly (payment has to be done at arrival) and then moved to Cedar where rooms were. Rooms were very very small and very poor at first sight. We were a little bit shocked at first but, as soon as the first night passed, we started to appreciate the place.

The room was old and with some dust on the floor but the rest was fine (clean linen, functional ensuite toilet, hot water functioning as well as the heat system and the TV and fridge). It is not true the fact I read here, that trains announcements and noise could be heard clearly. My room was on Hugh street and I can assure nothing was udible altought railway was near.

Another great aspect was the location; Terravision bus from Stansted leaves you 3 minutes walk from the hotel and the room is 5 minutes walk from Victoria station.

In conclusion, if need only a place where to sleep and have a shower, Cedar is the place for you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms size
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends