All reviewsdenmark hillkings college hospitalroom was cleanno lifttriple roomtea and coffee
Reviewed March 28, 2015

It is not a three star hotel by any means. It is a step below a youth hostel. The desk clerk did get us into our room early, but we had reserved for four, not three. When our guest arrived, the night manager, Jay Dee, as he called himself, was rude to my son-in-law and our guest, asking which of them was leaving for the night. When I spoke to him about my email and upgrading to a room for four, he complained that the female clerk was inept and he had to take care of it. I paid the difference on spot, although we could not move into the room until the next day. Even so, his continual rudeness only increased. When my daughter and her husband went to the desk to ask for more pillows, he told them rudely he didn't have a key to that maid's closet and that they needed to go to bed. This was not a simple statement, but a diatribe of their rudeness. Let me reinterate, the night manager told adult guests that they needed to go to bed. When I arose early the next morning to speak to him about the matter, he again became immediately hostile. I realized as four people in a room, we were quite noisy. However, a simple phone call would have sufficed. However when he did try to call, the phone would not answer. Again, the phone was not functioning. Accosting my child was not acceptable. When I asked that he speak to me personally about issues as the paying member of the group, he then told me I needed to control my children (everyone in our room was 23 years of age or older.) I asked him not to speak to my daughter again, and only me, he accused me of threatening him. I am a five-foot tall woman with a terminal illness, weighing 90lbs, how I could be a threat to him remains a mystery.He suggested I go have a cup of coffee and think about kind he had been to me and my family while in his hotel. He also said that if I was unhappy I could checkout early and he would return my last night's fee. I did book another space, and we were packed and at the counter before check out time. He refused to reimburse me for the last night as it was through a travel agency and I had not paid him cash. However, I had paid cash for the bigger room. Never in my many days of travel have I ever encountered a manager who believed my patronage was not as a client, but that I was lucky to be staying in his establishment. Had it been an establishment worth even three stars, but it is not worthy of more than a half star. They refused to give us more than one towel per person during our entire stay. Meaning, no new towels each days- four days same singular towel for each person. No hand towels, facial towels. Bedspreads were threadbare. Although the pictures looked quite quaint online, they are very decieving. The decor has not been renewed since the late seventies or eighties. I made peace with staying in such a hotel below my standards until the manager acted as if it were the Ritz and we were "allowed" to stay. Unfortunately, The New Dome hotel has grossly misrepresented itself.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled with family
3  Thank v d
Reviewed March 20, 2015

stayed for one night while doing a job in the area.clean comfy hotel with friendly staff.we didn't bother with the breakfast as it was a continental affair and we had to get to work.well placed for shops pubs and resteraunts.the price was good,so all in all ok for us.will return if working in area again,which no doubt we will be.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2015

This hotel is extremely basic, it's a good place just to lay to rest at night. Don't expect any luxury here, the rooms are bog standard. You have a bed, small hand soap, towels & the four walls. Provide your own shower gel etc.
There is a £10 deposit for the tv remote and you have to pay for the room before your stay.
The cleaniless of the room isn't very good it's almost like the 'cleaners' (who can't speak a lick of english) clean only the visible spots, the corners get missed. The window areas are filthy, the net curtains when they were bought were white but right now they are black... LITERALLY!
Behind the beds are dirty and dusty, if you are a very clean person maybe this place isn't for you, it'll make you cringe.
The building also has a funny smell it will leave a funny smell in your clothes too!
The bathroom was clean but then the shower curtain was a brown colour at the bottom and smelt musty, the extractor fan had the thickest layer of dust on it, at about 2-3mm thick which isn't actually necessary when all it needs is a clean everyday, like what any normal hotel should have done!
The hotel isn't disabled friendly either there are NO lifts, ALL 3 floors can only be accessed via the stairs which would have any healthy person keeling over, as they are quite steep! And in 2015 there isn't any excuse to be disabled friendly...

This is a very basic place but, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be cleaned properly.

It's in a good location and many bus stops are nearby servicing central London & other parts of London. It is also nearby to a train station Denmark Hill which is roughly 10 mins away.
The staff are quite friendly not all of them but, generally they are okay!
Rates are competitive however, I think it should be cheaper for what you are getting.

• Stayed: January 2015
1  Thank Neschka
Reviewed November 25, 2014

The New Dome provided a safe, clean and friendly location for a recent trip to Brixton. The room was clean, although a bit hot and stuffy. It's perfect if you just need a safe place to get your head down. No tube station nearby, so make sure you have an oyster card for the bus (if not, a cab cost less than £10 to Brixton). Plenty of fast food places nearby if you arrive back in early hours (like I did!)

Room Tip: Ask to stay near the back, away from the road, as it is less noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2014

Yes its an old place, the area isn't the best in town and yes it could do with a revamp BUT, what you get here is great, friendly and helpful staff, VERY clean rooms and an ultra-well connected hotel, in terms of public transport.

As well as that, the eating facilities and options in the vicinity are awesome and very well priced.

I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: I had 36 and loved it!
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled with family