“Lovely Hotel for travellers on a budget!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Dome Hotel

The New Dome Hotel
Ranked #843 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel for travellers on a budget!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Not sure why this little gem gets so many bad reviews! The whole place was very clean (no bad smell anywhere), the staff were polite and friendly, and the rooms comfortable! You cannot expect 5 star luxury when staying in a budget hotel. I have stayed in many different places from a local Travelodge to Burj Al Arab in Dubai and would most definitely stay here again

The receptionist was welcoming, check-in was done efficiently. The room (17) was spacious enough for myself and my friend. Nice, although slightly old, decor. The beds were VERY comfortable! The room was very warm throughout our stay - nice of the hotel staff to keep the heating on :) We were not disturbed by any noise coming from the outside and slept well. The bathroom is slightly too small but very clean! Overall the room was nice and had a homely feel to it. The only thing the hotel could improve, is to add small reading lamps by the beds!

The hotel was clean and secure. Clearly states that no visitors are allowed and there is always someone sat at the front desk which is nice :)

The area is ok - many good restaurants nearby and a few nice pubs! The train station is a 10 minute walk which is convenient. Both, myself and my friend, felt safe walking around in the evening. As long as you have common sense you will be safe.

I enjoyed my stay and will be staying here again next time I am in London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PenquinJewls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hungarian first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed for one night booking it before reading the reviews as we needed a cheap place to crash whilst we went out at night which is not easy in London.

We were set for the worst after reading the reviews but once we were in the room we were wondering what all the fuss was about.

Whilst the reception area is dated, smelt a bit strange and there is no lift (not a problem if you are ok getting up stairs although I would not recommend it if you have mobility problems), once we were in the room, I could not agree with some of the previous comments.

The bedding and the towels were clean as was the bathroom, which had the smallest bath I have ever seen but was big enough to wash etc. There had been some updating work carried out in there as well.

Whilst it was not as up to date as a premier inn with lots of space and matching furniture, if you are planning on living in your room over night whilst working, I would not recommend it. As a place to get some sleep for a reasonable cost? I had no problems and I would certainly book again if I needed to with less trepidation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 81Spanners
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having booked this hotel for a couple of nights because I was on a budget, and because it was close to where I needed to be (King's College, which is pretty far outside the centre of town), I knew I'd made a terrible mistake the moment I walked in the door.

The hotel is dirty and cheap-looking, filled with rickety furniture and tattered curtains. A general feeling of unease pervades the place, probably caused by the surly staff who messed up the fees and ended up giving confusing 'refunds' and the shifty clientele. The flimsiest of locks on the room doors (a good kick, or even a shove, would probably burst them open easily) did not help alleviate this feeling.

An enormously loud Evangelical nighttime church service next door (with hymns and clapping!) kept me awake until 2.15AM(!), as the rooms allow any and all noise from the surroundings to pour in (this includes the noise from the corridor, where the other guests wandered up and down in the wee hours, occasionally shouting, and opening and slamming the amazingly creaky doors). A smell of general damp and mustiness fills the entire place. The old and stained bathroom had a shower that sprayed water horizontally from the wall, which was useless and frustrating.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't tell yourself 'it's OK since it's cheap'. It's not. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SJRScot
COLCHESTER
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were due to go to a nearby event and this proved to be a convenient place to stay. Our first choice had no vacancies. We had read the reviews and thought we knew what to expect. The receptionist was welcoming on arrival, however as soon as we moved into the rather pokey stair area there was a strong smell of burnt gas. On arrival at our room we found a so called double room meant a double bed pushed up against the wall, to me that is not a double room. The bathroom was tiny but clean. We didn't bother to go down to breakfast but other people attending the event who also stayed there called it basic. Very much a case of getting what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Milton Keynes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed here because I had an early morning hospital appointment and wanted to avoid rush hour commute. What a mistake! The place is an absolute dump, should not be called a hotel. They first gave me room no.13, which was like a dungeon, so I changed to no.14, which was a bit bigger but overlooking the main road. Soundproofing is non-existent, and it feels like you're sleeping right on the road. The supposed 'double bed' was actually a really old sofa bed opened up with springs poking out. The place is a nightmare, avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Just avoid no matter what :/
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank yodachili
Timisoara, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked a triple room for 4 days in June 2012.

PROS:
The room was spacios, bathroom was big enough to feel comfortable, looked like in the pictures.
Bus stops 1 min walk from the hotel.
Breakfast was buffet, you don't have much choice tough (milk, bread/toast, butter, tea, coffee, jam, cereals, cheese).
They were cleaning the room and bathroom daily. The sheets were clean as well.

CONS:
The curtain in the bathroom was dirty, and they were not cleaning the drawers nor under the beds. Nevertheless, I still got the feeling that the room was acceptably clean.
No elevator, and steep stairs, was dificcult to carry our heavy luggage.
It's not exactly in the city centre, you have to take bus, than underground (closest is Oval station).

When we arrived we payed more than it was stated in the booking.
We realised that only next day, and told the receptionist when we checked out.
He realised it was a mistake on their side and was nice enough to promise to ask the manager.
In a few days they refunded the difference on our credit card, so I have the feeling they are honest people.

After staying here we moved to Easy Hostel Victoria for 2 days, and we regreted leaving The New Dome for Easy Hotel.
At Easy Hostel, though better located, we could barely move in the room and in the bathroom (1sq m each + bed), there was no room cleaning, no breakfast, and we also had to carry our luggage to the 4th floor, no elevator there either.

All in all, The New Dome Hotel would use some renovation, but is ok for a few days in London.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alexandra_pad
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

It was me and two friends, all around 18 years old, and we went to London for a heavy metal concert. So our expectations were not exactly high, considering that we paid 20 pounds each per night.
But they were about to be crushed.
The hotel stinks. Of what, I do not know. It just stinks, everywhere. The rooms look like jail cells, the bathroom is minuscule, the beds uncomfortable and - I can't street this enough - everything stinks.
The people who work there are very rude, the breakfast is a joke, the neighborhood looks dangerous.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carlo G
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Pasha Hotel
Viking Hotel
#859 of 1,089 in London
Church Street Hotel
#457 of 1,089 in London

Been to The New Dome Hotel? Share your experiences!