“Great Value for the Money”
Review of Athena Hotel

Athena Hotel
Ranked #650 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Prior to arriving in London, my wife and I booked online a hotel (around the corner) and had a terrible experiece. We knew we would be returning to London the next week so we stopped in at the Athena to inquire about a room for the return. The staff was pleasant and showed us a room. We could see the building, though old, was maintained with a level of pride (clean rooms and everything worked).

For a more thorough review, read Mr Sadiq Lakhani's, January 1, 2009 write-up. I feel this is an accurate portrayal of what we found. I would like to "ditto" his comments. Thank you Athena for helping my wife and I regroup on accomodations during our stay in London.

Don Kudrna, California

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PAPADONCalifornia

Reviewed July 5, 2009

We arrived at 5.30 paid the full amount for the 2 rooms we booked, went upstairs see our rooms and god they are bad, our room was meant tobe a 3 bedded Non smoking room, we arrived and a ash tray and a cigerette buts were all outside, the room smelt damp, but as so hot we went and had a bath, there were no towels when we got out, so my husband went and asked for some, to be told the laundry had not arrived today, (saturday) meaning no towels and the beds were not changed, the other rooom, which was a double had a single bed in it, and one small towel, the bed was also stained. we complained and wanted to leave with full refund, But No they charged us £100.00 for taking a bath, and we are still waiting for the?£160.00 extra we paid. Never again, the place should be shut down discusting.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank musicmadwomen
Reviewed January 10, 2009

RECOMMENDED!!

I booked this hotel from the internet for a one night stay prior to arrival online by Credit card.

Reading your reviews had me scared, the website of the hotel showed all facilities i wanted. But your reviews were so bad...

So I just booked online by credit card for only one night. In case it turned out to be like you said I would run away the next day.

I arrived last night, however I called the booking agent and took the hotel direct number and called the hotel in the morning to please give me good room as I have heard scary review about it.

I tell you its not true at all, I assume probably it could be other nearby hotel people killing competition... who knows, it just takes a few lines to kill business.

But really dont go "too much" on reviews, call personally and take name of the person at the desk so you can later tell them how your room was.

Ok... review....Its an amazing hotel , excellent location, great service, has lift to the rooms, not drag bags to 4th floors and losr 5 lbs. Internet wireless for £ 7 a day 24 hours if you have laptop.

Does not feel like a BB at all, but like a proper hotel, if you wait and book just one or two days before you come you have a chance to get amazing rates....

There is good coffee tea making in the room. The decor, fixtures, lights, plugs, and the design of room is just right... There is attention to detail, and the heating is superb , its -6 degrees nowadays here.... brrrr..... Jan 09.

The TV is nice, new wall mounted, and washroom were clean and impeccable, and I must say its an amazing room, in the price , Jan 2009 price £ 40 from the internet.

Sussex Gardens location is great too , close to Hyde park and close to Edgware Road too with budget restaurants and internet cafes open till late at night. Buses and tube real close.

In London Sussex gardens is a great area to stay in, so close to Marble Arch, and Oxford Street for you crazy shoppers, just a few minutes pop down on any bus going down Edgware road.

I love London and I love this hotel and by the way no one is paying me to write this.

I am also , like most of you an avid traveler and a budding travel writer, I travel mostly in SE Asia, Thailand and around. London after many years now.

So give it a shot, if you coming to London, call them from before, not the agents, take the number of the hotel from the agent and call personally and ask for a good room. And you are made.

Try for one night if in doubt, and if you don't like it there are so many BBs all lined up on Sussex gardens, more than 50 I assume, so you can move.the next day too.

Happy traveling....

thank you Athena!!!

Sadiq Lakhani
A Banker , Adventure traveler, IT professional. Wannabe Travel Writer....

sadiq.lakhani@yahoo.com

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We arrived at 2.30pm to find our room was not ready. They had 'lost' the housekeeping keys and wanted us to depart without our room keys, leaving our possesions behind. We got back around 10.30pm to find we couldn't get to our room the way we'd been shown as there was a wedding going on. We were told to go outside and enter through another door which we did not know about. The plumber then showed us right around the building to a completely separate entrance we had not been informed of. Thankfully when we got back to the hotel there was still someone around or we would never have known how to get in. The shower did not work properly. Breakfast was late and was only toast and tea. I had advised of my daughter having a gluten intolerance but there was no acknowledgement of this made. The road noise kept me awake most of the night too. The room was adequate and cheap - we could have enjoyed our stay had the staff been more organised. I really feel that the previous reviews of people going the extra mile and being willing to help gave me a high expectation of customer service that was just not there. I was really disappointed with the experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Decadent,unpleasant,filthy,with personnel accurately uninterested in customers. The room we got, number 3 at the ground floor, was so tiny we could barely move.The wallpaper was peeling off the wall,the heater stincked,the carpet full of dirt.Noisy for something that seemed to us the underground passage of trains or something similar. We had no shower soap, so I asked the receptionist for some.He answered me they don't provide any.Can you beleive it?? He astonished me more when he candidly advice me to step outside for buying it, in a newsagent 400 yards away. They sponsor themselves as a three star rating hotel ,but they deserve not even one star.The breakfast is served in the basement At my first breakfast scramble eggs were served cold ,the second time it was ok.
And advice to whoever is planning to travel to London:If you find that all places in London show the "no vacancy"placard except for the Athena hotel, the obvious reason is that hotel has spoiled many travellers' hope.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank TravellerItaly
Reviewed December 7, 2007

I am a regular traveller to London , I have to say , this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
The rooms smelt fusty and were dirty. There were dirty stains up the wallpaper and on the outer bedding. Sash Windows did not fully close , heating did not work. Very noisy and cold all night.

We complained to staff about the rooms, we were shown an alternate room which was just as bad. They offered to move us accross the road - after a phone call this was not possible.

When we checked out in the morning the night porter was asleep, we had to wake him to aks for a receipt. No receipts available - provided postage address - still waiting ..
Full of tradesmen - not suitable for families or anyone else. I would not recomend this hotel to anyone-

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank antmara
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Made unexpected arrival at reception, we were only staying for one night and wanted to drop our overnight bags, whilst we went out for lunch then on to the theatre. The receptionist made us very welcome and checked on availability, the room was ready so we checked in immediately.

We paid £99 for the room which we thought reasonable for London. Yes the decor was a little tired, there was no chair to sit on had we wanted to or bath and washbasin plugs so SHOWER or SHOWER was the order of the day.

The staff were very pleasant and a tasty English breakfast made and served to order.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple