“Extremely unreliable”
Review of Athena Hotel

Athena Hotel
Ranked #667 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I paid more than 90 pounds a night to stay here for 4 nights, for a onepersonsroom. when I arrived they put me, without asking, in different hotel (of not even 2 starres). The room smelled, was noisy, the light was broken, the bed was rock hard and the room itself was not even 4 m2 big. The day after they promised me the rest of the stay a triple room to make up for the first terrible night. Then they put me in a triple room where there was a constant noise in the bathroom, like vaccume cleaner is continuesly on. I asked them if there was something like a button to put it off, there wasn't so i had to deal with it. Then when i came back the third day they changed my room again, and put me in the smallest room possible again - ánd moved my stuff without asking! Now I lost some papers, receipts and usb stick because of them moving my stuff. and when i'm complaining about they changing me everyday they pretent like i'm asking too much of them. I asked them 3 times if they can look again for my usb stick and receipts but everytime they said come back later.
Overall very very bad service and no understanding

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mara b

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Was woken up at 8am by what can only be described as a building site outside our hotel door. Constant banging and drilling making it impossible to sleep. As customers we were given no prior warning. Was in London for a friend's birthday and ended up with less than four hours sleep. There was no phone in our 'newly refurbished' room (which stank of paint) so had to use our mobiles to complain. The noise than stopped briefly but continued shortly after. When leaving the room, we had to climb over all of the equipment that was being used as it was blocking the whole corridor..
We were then told by reception on the way out that we will be compensated for a stay, but after numerous calls to the hotel, we are still waiting!!
The other issue is the 'parking' which is offered by the hotel, and costs £15. Which actually consists of a 'no parking' area which staff have to rotate the cars if one car needs to leave.
Would never stay at this hotel again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sally984
Reviewed July 23, 2012

While this hotel may fill expectations of an British hotel room, the service made up for it. The room was small, sort of like a nook, but was pleasant and the bathroom new and squeaky clean. The breakfast was good (no messing up cereal and eggs), and the ladies always pleasant. I stayed a week, and was happy to be in the neighborhood where normal people went about their days, not just wandering tourists. It's really close to hyde park, which is excellent for running. It was nice to be in a budget hotel, in a funny little room, and with nice guys at the desk every time I was coming or going. I would recommend it!

Room Tip: Close to the ground floor. There is a lift, but it doesn't make much sense.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The room was fine clean and modern, the shower overflowed because the drain had never been cleaned reported it to reception who said it would be fixed the next day too late for us! breakfast was between 6.30 and 9 so we never sampled it. three women shared this room and we did not appreciate the maid knocking and entering straight away first at 10 am then again at 10.30 informing us that check out was at 11 when we paid for the room we thought it was ours until 11 not an open room to be entered at will! complained at the front desk on check out to a man who was busy on the phone so not much notice taken there. area was lovely and handy so would stay in the Greshem next door next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank karngalway
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our family of five was able to stay in one room, which was perfect! A double, a single and bunks, and with the high ceilings it did not feel cramped. I liked the old wood floors and the crown moldings. It was nice to open the large windows at night for a breeze. It felt more like a house than a hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we were able to park our car on site. The next block has many cafes and restaurants, with every choice of food, lots of places to pick up London souvenirs and change money. Paddington station is one block away, and Hyde park/Kensington gardens is two. Ideal location. It is not a 5 star hotel, but it doesn't cost what a 5 star would cost. For my money it was a friendly,clean, well situated bargain in an expensive city. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: Talk to the desk about what you want...they are very NICE! It is a family owned place and they want...
2  Thank Kerry712
Reviewed June 23, 2012

From the wesbite it looked lovely. The outside & reception area also looked nice on arrival. We had booked a family room in advance at a cost of £175 per night. The room we had was at the top of the building & was very small for a family room. It was actually a double room, with a single bed & a camp bed squeezed in. The blankets on all the beds (there was only one thin one per bed) were stained. None of us got much sleep as there was something going on in the rrom opposite until gone 4am with lots of knocking on doors & talking in the corridor outside our room. On the positive side, the room had recently been redecorated with a brand new bathroom (although there was nowhere to hang/put the wet towels). The carpet outside our room was also badly stained & frayed. Our room was alongside the fire escape stairwell, at the top of which, for the duration of our stay remained a pile of dirty linen, trainers & the vacumn cleaner. For breakfast, the website says the choice of full english or continental - the continental is a choice of museli or cornflakes & tinned fruit. The chairs in the breakfast room were badly stained also, with the door to the kitchen propped open by a folded campbed. On our return home we contacted the hotel, but a week later we've not had a response or even an acknowledgement. Very disappointing.

2  Thank brenbear5
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The room was horribly small for two people. The bathroom was really small and you had to let your feet dangle on the high toliet or put you feet on the shower ledge while on the toilet. Not comfortable either way. The walls really really thin, so it made it really loud some nights. I was not a fan of the breakfast, unless you want the English breakfast, its basically just toast. The front desk people were nice and looked out for you, acknowledged when you came back, but they were not always the smartest in finding things you wanted to see. The location is fine, not horribly far from Buckingham Palace and its very close to a train/subway station but not a ton of food choices nearby. Not a great place for the high price I paid to stay, just alright

Room Tip: Ask for two beds