“Good location, Helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel London City South

Novotel London City South
Ranked #281 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel was selected due to it's location to my London office. The room was clean and tidy and the facilities were of the usual high Novotel standard. The breakfast was was well presented and there was plenty choice of items on the hot and cold buffet.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel London City South very soon. Kind regards,
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I paid just over £100 for the room, and given the low price, it was a good sized room with a double bed, clean and with all the necessary amenities, including a bed settee and free wifi. The TV had a strange reluctance to show BBC1 (Room 103 if the management want to fix it) but otherwise a clear 4 star.
The rear of the door says they would normally ask £375 or so for single occupancy, good luck. Whilst there is a bar/ cafe and restaurant, the spa and gym is absurd. The spa is tiny the gym has 4 moving cardiac pieces, two leg machines and some free weights, it would have been more realistic to have had either a spa or a gym, but for most users having both will actually be a bitter disappointment. For that reason it's not for me next time, I like to be able to swing a cat in a gym (but not actually do it you understand).
Much of the decor and fittings were also odd, in the sense that there is no wardrobe, rather it is a partitioned area, like the spa it's there but doesn't feel right.
Good at 100, not worth more than 120, you can definitely find better for that.
I have seen reviews suggesting there is nothing in the area, I don't think they could have gone the right way, ask at reception and head west, but within 300 metres I found at least a half a dozen restaurants, Leon, Itsu, an Italian etc and an M&S food, WH Smith and another papershop / grocer, but I do agree that if you go the wrong way or just look immediately outside the hotel you will be surprised how quiet it is after 7pm

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and will have my mainteance team address the issue you raised regarding the television channels.

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our family of four stayed here July 2013 for 4 days, and it was a great location.
Rooms were:
-modest/small but it is what we expected
-clean
-comfortable beds
-hot - air cooling is NOT air conditioner (be warned Westerners who like A/C!)

So amazing to be a 2 minute walk from the Borough Market (we went there as often as we could) and a short walk to grocery stores, tube and train stations, the Tate, many bridges, and the boardwalk area along the river.

Only complaint (other than no A/C - it was a humid week!) was that they do not have a pool. We asked if we could use the pool at the Black Friars Novotel and the front desk said yes and that they would call over. We did the 20 minute walk over to the hotel only to be told that we were not allowed to use the pool due to "security" issues. Disappointing for the kids to say the least.

Would be great if they offered some kids activity packs or something - they ARE trying with their bracelet at check in - apparently that is the "gift for kids"

Overall though, a very good hotel, mostly due to its location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wayneelliott
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

If you just looking for a bed to sleep in its fine.
I rang up before my trip to ask about the car parking as we where going out in the evening. I was told it would just be £25. This was not the case as when I asked for my ticket to be validated as I had phoned up I was told by the reception staff we do not own the car it is owned by another hotel chain so pay at the pay station! Car parking was in total £40 as we went out in the evening the staff where so unhelpful over this matter!
When leaving the next morning we where packing our bags and housekeeping where trying to come in and clean the room??? We had not checked out at this point!
What can I say about breakfast disappointing but some of it was quite nice, sausages where pink inside and tasted awful.
I would not stay here again unless there was no rooms anywhere else and I just needed a bed to sleep in!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Milylou
Thank you for your review, I'm sorry the car park pricing was not explained clearly to you and will ensure that the team are aware of your comments. Thank you again for your feedback.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews posted on Tripadvisor. I was surprised to see that no one mentioned in the reviews that this is located in middle of nowhere. Except location everything is good about this hotel. This is about 6 minutes walking distance from Borough Tube and about 8-9 minutes walking distance from London Bridge tube station. One has to take Northern from Borough/London Bridge tube and go to Elephant and Castle to change to Bakerloo to go any place unless u wish to travel on Northern line. Based on reviews on net, Elephant & Castle is not safe area to move around, though it is not a problem to change the tube. If you wish to travel to various places in London, this is not a very convenient location for sure. The walk to Borough tube is completely deserted after working hours. After working hours finding taxi is difficult too. There are no restaurants, shops. There is one Indian restaurant that offered mediocre food. One has to go to Borough market to find couple of restaurants and shops. Rest, staff is very friendly and co-operative, restaurant offers good food, breakfast is well spread if not great, rooms are good and clean. You can choose any room - roadside or rear side, both are equally good. Gym is small but well, it offers basic facility. On rear side there is parking facility available on pay.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Shirish_12
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you overall enjoyed your stay with us, though I am disappointed that you didn't find our location to be convenient however I do hope to see you again in the very near future.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here recently on a business trip to London and chose for the location and price (close to my office and I'm on an average budget). Not much to rave about regarding the room. Toilet was in a separate closet, bed was pretty firm (which was fine for a couple nights if you like that), shower leaked onto the floor and made its way to the carpet (they had a separate tub that I didn't use), reception was fairly nice and i didn't use the gym or restaurant/bar. I'm a little annoyed with Novotel in general since they all seem to have trouble adjusting the invoice details (my company is strict that its made out to them instead of me). I think I've met one person at reception over the course of 3 yrs that could adjust it properly without any problems.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the middle of the hallway (the hallways are long so you could end up with a bit of d...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel London city South and I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.