“Excellent Weekend Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Weekend Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Novotel was excellent for a weekend break. Comfortable rooms, we had the executive refurbished rooms, nice and quiet, well equipped and comfy beds. Just a stones throw from the river, 5 minutes from neareat tube station and great private car park at the back. Breakfast was excellent, well worth having this included. Lots of good restaurants on the river, and a great base for exploring London.

Room Tip: If you can, go for an executive upgrade. As a family, we also had a late check out included for fre...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, April 17, 2013

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

The location of the hotel, although not right in the heart of London, is only 10 mins walk from London Bridge station meaning the underground is very accessible. The hotel is modern and contemporary, and was very clean and tidy. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The rooms were spotless and well equipped, and the bed very comfortable. The breakfast was great, far better than many other hotels we've visited. The only negatives for us were being woken at 7am by a dustcart right under our window which spent about 15 mins noisily emptying bins (we were on the Thrale Street side of the hotel). We'd also spent a bit more on the room to have complimentary internet which we couldn't get to work and wasn't wifi enabled (it needs an ethernet port on your device) - you have to borrow a hub from the hotel to create a wifi network in the room and then it didn't work. I had expected access to be made available upoon check-in, so I don't know why in this age of mobile devices that wifi is not readily available to hotel visitors, especially when you pay extra for internet access. To have to jump through so many hoops to make it available seems crazy and leaves one feeling a little misled.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your review following your stay at Novotel London City South. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and my apologies that the connection to the internet was not hassle-free for you. We will be upgrading our wifi offer in July and hope you will visit the hotel again.

Salem, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family has traveled to London many times and this was our first time staying on the Southbank. The hotel is in a brilliant spot, located just over the Southwark Bridge. You can literally see St. Paul's just over the river and Southwark Cathedral and Shakespeare's Globe are just around the corner.

Our family room was incredibly high tech - the most impressive feature being the disappearing shower wall. My sons were enthralled. Breakfast was included in our package and was a good hot/cold buffet but at $25/person I wouldn't have paid separately for it. The staff was friendly, our hotel room spotless - I sure wouldn't want to clean those glass shower walls every day but they were gleaming every night when we returned. Also, by European standards, our room was more than spacious, rivaling a US hotel room. There was an Xbox in the lobby which we didn't use but I thought was a nice touch.

I would highly recommend Novotel London City South and look forward to my next stay.

1 Thank thetwists
Thank you very much for your review of Novotel London City South. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our newly refurbished rooms!

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to rate the hotel so highly and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

You should be pretty safe with Novotel - I've always rated them in the past. But this was a bad experience: air conditioning wasn't working in the room, meaning it was unbearably hot. Food took nearly an hour and a half from ordering to service - too long for young children to wait. The hotel staff were lovely - but clearly completely overwhelmed by the number of people - breakfast was like a free-for-all.
Come on Accor Hotels: don't treat your staff like this, and don't treat customers like this either. It represents very poor value and, in my opinion, business sense to do so.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel London City South. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and we have noted your comments about the air conditioning and the restaurant which we are addressing.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will visit us again,

Hong kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We chose this hotel for 2 main reasons. First of all we had stayed in the area before and found it a good location for enjoying London. Secondly they offer a good policy for families with a free late check out until 5 pm on Sundays, with certain packages. We found the hotel easily with a 5 minute walk from the tube station. The staff were friendly and attentive and the room had a modern feel. It was nice to have a separate shower and bathtub and although I think it is quite good to have the toilet in a separate room It did mean that you had to walk round to the the main bathroom to wash your hands. Breakfast was busy and we had to queue to be seated. This said the staff were working very hard to manage the large number of guests and maintain a high standard. On one day I noticed the staff handing out glasses of orange juice to queuing guests which I thought was nice and the sign of good management. All the staff were as helpful as they could be although some lacked much knowledge regarding the local area and information for tourists. As others have mentioned the washbasin in our room was blocked so the water didn't drain very well. Also the TV channels were all messed up with some channels showing the picture from one channel and the sound from another. I am sure they would have done their best to sort it out for us had we mentioned it but honestly it wasn't that much of a problem so we didn't bother.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Novotel London City South hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us on this occasion and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a really nice comfortable room - much nicer than expected. Great comfortable bed, shower and breakfast too. Great option if you are looking for a comfortable hotel for work or pleasure near London bridge tube

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Novotel London City South and for posting your positive comments on Tripadvisor. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back very soon.

Swansea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel (and others like it across Europe) many times in the past - you always know what you'll get at a Novotel. This time things were a little different. The room we were allocated was unlike any other we've stayed in with Novotel - rather dingy, in need of refurbishment, with a blocked washbasin and a toilet/bathroom door which didn't close. The facilities were not as described in our booking confirmation, received four months previously. I asked to be moved to the sort of room specified in our booking, a copy of which I had with me. Unfortunately the receptionist decided to argue with me, insisting that the room was as booked and ignoring my complaint about the blocked washbasin. The final straw was when she made very clear her opinion of my complaint by shrugging and grimacing at me. Come on Novotel, some serious training in good manners and customer care is required here I think! Fortunately a more senior colleague who had overheard this exchange stepped in and instructed her to move us to another room - this room was exactly as specified in our booking and all facilities worked - problem solved by a more experienced colleague. Our stay was otherwise very pleasant.
The most significant aspect of this experience dawned on us as we collected our luggage to move rooms - the original room offered was in fact adapted for a guest with limited physical mobility; it is both discouraging and depressing that a major European hotel group should offer such a poor room to guests with a disability who may not find it as easy as we did to transfer to another room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to give feedback regarding your experience at Novotel London City South. I'm disappointed that we have been let down by a staff member and the situation should have been immediately rectified. However, I appreciate your comments that overall you had a pleasant stay at the hotel.

If you could take the time to contact me on 0207 089 0502 or email H3269-dm@accor.com, in order for me to get some further details to look into the matter.