“Not recommendable if you want a single room”
Review of Mentone Hotel

Mentone Hotel
Ranked #583 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at the Mentone. It was not my first stay there, but my previous ones were some 15 years ago. Back then I had a rather nice single room overlooking Cartwright Gardens, which was the reason why I returned this time. I chose the Mentone as it is situated perfectly near the tube station on the direct line from Heathrow Airport, as well as Euston and King's Cross/St. Pancras Station. The British Museum and Oxford Street are in Walking distance, and one can even walk to the West End Theatres.
The breakfast is not great, but good and there is plenty to chose from. There were two young ladies who served breakfast, one of them was very nice and friendly, the other one was reasonably friendly. The receptionists are not too friendly and not helpful, though. When I arrived I was told I had a room at the top floor and had to struggle with my luggage up a very steep and narrow staircase on my own!
The room (no. 13) itself was okay and reasonably sized, with a view over backyards. The room looked clean, even though somewhat run down. But then I opened the door to the so-called bathroom and was appalled. It contained a toilet (with a shabby toilet seat) squeezed in between the wall and a ridiculously small washbasin. When you want to use the toilet you better are a contortionist to fit behind the washbasin. And no matter how often you flushed the toilet (and wasted water), the paper got never flushed away.
Close to the washbasin on the other side hangs a small shower curtain which is supposed to display a "shower" behind. This entails a shower head fixed somewhere up at the ceiling and a dent in the floor with the sink. After showering the whole "room" is flooded, of course. The whole "room" is outlayed with filthy looking small tiles. To call this an en-suite bathroom is a disgrace. And to charge the same money for this "en-suite room" as for the one I used to have many years ago with a proper bathroom, that is a darned cheek, if you will pardon my saying so. It would have been okay, had they charged half the price of a proper en-suite room, but that was not the case.
For 3 nights it was bearable, but I will definitely not return to this place. And should you travel on your own I can only recommend to forgo the Mentone and its room 13.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Monika S

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I went there to take a look at the rooms before we move to this hotel, seems good for most things. room is big, bathroom is clean, It's close to rusell square.
but when we went there to stay, they gave me a room at the top floor, which is smaller than the room i saw.
overall, its good here. nice sleep, nice stay, high speed wifi
but terrible control in bathroom, i dont know the word in english, but take bath is terrible ...maybe i should asked them to fix it.
总的来说还是不错的,就是对一般的酒店而言还是有点贵吧,之前同样是140镑我住了圣保罗教堂旁边四星级的酒店来的

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Economical rates for London, a more than adequate triple room (clean, quiet and big enough for three) and a good full English breakfast included in the price. And best of all, superbly located.....walking distance to two tube stations in the heart of London.,...and in a neighbourhood full of interesting pubs and restaurants. We'll definitely be returning!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice and close to King's Cross/St. Pancras Station but I wouldn't stay here again. I had stayed at a different hotel a few weeks earlier which had a superior breakfast and equal quality of rooms. I would stay there again but not the Mentone.

The breakfast was disappointing since it was instance coffee and the eggs weren't very good. I wasn't impressed when I sat down to eat (a very tired traveler) and the waitress asked how many were in my party. I said there was just me. I was exhausted and had sat at a table for four, the large dining room was empty aside from myself and one other table. She said 'you have to move to a one person table then'. Seeing none I asked where I should sit. She ordered me to move to a two person table. I did as I was told and ordered my breakfast. I wasn't expecting instant coffee and runny scrambled eggs.

Only one other table came into the room the entire time I was there, there must have been about a dozen empty tables. It would have been appreciated if she would have at least asked me to move or said please instead of ordering me to a different seat.

The room was fine, I was on the top floor. There are a lot of hotels in this area, I will stay elsewhere for future visits.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Booked this hotel for 1 night 12th June as going to a conference nearby. It is in a lovely semi circular row of grand town houses and really conveniently located to Euston station. The rooms I saw ( a twin and single) were clean , fresh looking ( ? Recently decorated) and adequately sized. the bathroom was clean and fresh looking, nice clean white shower curtain, sparkling tiles and loo. The room facilities were basic but what you would expect for a budget hotel. Breakfast was good value and all in all I would definitely stay here again.

The only downsides were the heavy fire doors in front of the room doors - in the night and early morning you could be disturbed by all the doors slamming shut if you were a light sleeper. Unfortunately the first impression of the receptionist was also negative - no smile or welcome, and in fact quite grumpy as I had originally booked 4 rooms through trip advisor, but cancelled one some weeks ago. The receptionist was adamant they had not been advised of the cancellation, and appeared to be mistrusting my explanation of the situation. It was a little uncomfortable for about 10 minutes while she huffed and puffed and dis-believed me, but I did have a copy of the new booking with 3 rooms identified on it, so she couldn't pin a late cancellation charge on me. Just remember to take a printed confirmation with you, as somewhere along the line their records weren't accurate. But that didn't affect the stay, although a positive reception experience would have enhanced it! Budget hotels often have budget staff...a smile doesn't cost anything though...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We recently spent four nights at the Mentone Hotel. Really well located - easy walking distance (with baggage!) to St Pancaras station, easy walk down to the Strand to get on the hop-on hop-off bus, lots of places nearby to eat and drink. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfasts were great - no need for lunch! Great value for money - highly recommended.

Room Tip: No lifts so ask for a ground floor room if you don't want to drag your baggage up stairs..