“Holding it's own in Soho”

Gail's artisan bakery
Ranked #41 of 281 Bakeries in London
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: http://www.gailsbread.co.uk/contact_us
London, United Kingdom
“Holding it's own in Soho”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Although a small chain (there are 12 around London) this bakery has an enticing 'local' feel to it.

Various sweet and savoury snacks are piled high, trying to tempt you.

On a takeaway visit I chose the turkey sandwich, served on cranberry infused, wholemeal bread with crispy, red cabbage slaw and a generous serving of good quality meat; albeit slightly dry.

The shortbread was suitably buttery and agreeable.

Overall a welcome addition to Wardour Street.

• Visited November 2012

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
london
“Good coffee and pastries - would like to try the breakfast too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Although Gail's is a (small) chain, this really felt like an independent cafe, with a pleasant exterior and very nicely laid-out inside. My coffee was good and almond croissant excellent - almost too much tasty almondy filling. The service was quick and friendly. All the cakes look delicious and the breakfast menu too... I would have loved to come back to try some of the dishes but unfortunately my meetings started too early, and too far from Soho, for me to make it there for breakfast. I'll definitely go on my next visit to London though.

Visited October 2012
New York
“Good food, reasonably priced, no waiting, NO TIP JAR, lovely service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

The review below this one (from MaldivesDreamer) -- if it hasn't been removed by now -- is actually for a branch of Gail's in South Kensington, which I'm not even sure exists. This branch is in Soho and is around the corner from the overrated Breakfast Club that seems to attract queues of tourists for no apparent reason.

We popped into Gail's after seeing the 30-45 minute queue outside of TBC, and we were very happy with our choice. I had french toast with rhubarb and vanilla-cream sauce (£6) that was filling but not too heavy / egg-y (as f.t. can sometimes be). My other half had a cinnamon bun (£3) that was out of this world. I'm not usually a big fan of cinnamon buns but this was moist, sweet and generously sized.

Really nice service, and there's NO TIP JAR. (I despise tip jars and the implication that you should somehow be paying people above and beyond their wage simply for doing their jobs. I don't keep one on my desk!) You pay a slight premium for eating in (40p on the £2.50 cinnamon bun).

There was good people-watching from where we sat. There aren't a ton of tables but the counters feel intimate.

There are wheat-free items on the menu.

• Visited June 2012