“Worth the Effort”

Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the Effort”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I took my 18 year old grandson to London, not realizing that the greatest expense of the trip would be keeping him fed in a city with astronomical food prices. Luckily, I had done my homework onTrip Advisor and stumbled onto Bailey's Fish & Chips while looking for London eateries. We took the tube to Fulham Broadway one night and walked about ten minutes into a residential area before finding our destination. Everything everyone else has said about Bailey's...ditto. Lovely people, delicious fish. It's really a hole in the wall but very clean. My picky teenager was blown away, very satisfied with the enormous portions and loved it so much we had to go back again before we flew home. And the price was right in my budget.

1 Thank Judie Z

• Vietnamese first
Arizona
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I wasn't all that keen to travel all the way out to Bailey's from Victoria Station. It was my last full day in London and I was pretty beat up from 10 days of walking around London and through many of its museums and stores. I made myself go as eating there had been on my itinerary for almost 10 months after reading the raves about it in TA.

Yes, it's a ways out, Victoria Line to the District Line that goes to Wimbledon (saves a transfer at Earl's Court), off at Fulham Broadway (which looks to be a nice shopping complex), then a 10-15 minute slightly tricky walk westward to the shop (it helped that I had made the walk virtually several times using Google Maps street view).

I got there around 2 PM and was greeted warmly by the couple that own the very small place. I was very quickly seated with a bottle of Rose Lemonade while I waited for my Cod and chips.

When the dish arrived (it took longer than expected but perfection is not to be rushed) I was surprised at how large the fish was and by the amount of surrounding chips. A bottle of Heinz catsup sat nearby, too! The food was excellent, fresh and crispy (even the chips).

I didn't think I could finish it all but I took my time while watching the goings-on at the bus stop situated right in front of the shop (school had let out and students streamed into the shop for an order of chips before catching the bus home). It made for a satisfying time along with the 50-60's old tyme rock & roll that played on the sound system.

I waddled back to the tube station (along the way visiting a Whole Foods store near the Fulham Broadway center that's larger than the Whole Foods near Piccadilly Circus) and rode back to my vacation apartment with a silly grin on my face - a sign of an excellen meal.

In writing this review TA asks if this is one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant. I checked yes but it needs to be qualified. Of F&C (chippy) restaurants, a definite yes. Of all restaurants in the world that I've eaten, no, of course not. But, any restaurant that I will return to if possible, and recommend wholeheartedly to friends and strangers alike, qualifies for a 'yes' to the TA question.

3 Thank DDinAZ
London, United Kingdom
“Good!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Went with a friend. We reserved a table as my friend booked being from Italy. On arrival we where nicely greeted and found that very welcome.
Food was very good and well priced.

1 Thank DJ-it-nz
Orlando, Florida
“Good food, GREAT people”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Bailey's had a wonderful family atmosphere with a genuinely caring staff, huge portions, and great value!

“Nice Food and Staff”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Although it is a bit far from the underground, the food and staff are really good. Chips is about £1.6 and cod is about £5.6. The cod is really big which makes me and my gf very full