“Just fish and chips?”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Come here for a proper fish and chips and London experience. The service is brilliant, ridiculous and wonderful. Great banter, the locals love it and so will you. Sometimes a wait but never a dull moment! The food is excellent but Baileys also offers so much more. This place needs to be experienced!

1  Thank Sam C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stumbled across this place with a colleague while on a conference in London. Was busy which is a good sign so we popped in. The cod and chips were great, we had it to take away and which they wrapped up for us. Price was good and staff friendly, well worth a look

1  Thank JamesCobham
Reviewed January 22, 2014

After reading previous reviews decided to look this restaurant up for lunch. The restaurant is in fact a wall facing counter with only a few seats, so glad we got there early. Everywhere is spotlessly clean, nicely decorated and background music you wouldn't normally expect in a chippie! The friendly staff were efficient and had no problem in coating our veggie sausages in batter, which arrived crisp and dry. Chips had a nice crunch and certainly well worth the praise, but for me, although this is a great little place, you can't beat chips out if the bag at the seaside...hence the 4 and not 5 star rating.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I love hole in the wall joints and this is one of the best I've been in. I had the Cod and Chips as well as the Pineapple Fritters. The Cod was juicy and a massive piece of fish. The tartar sauce was great. Even the fritters were juicy and delicious even if they were made from canned pineapple rings. The prices are very reasonable.

The service was friendly and fast. The person taking my order was so nice to everybody. Next time I can bring my family to London I'll definitely take them here.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I went to this small chippy last week on the recommendation of a friend of mine who works in the area. She had told me that it was the best fish and chips that she'd ever had in England, and she has had a fair few; having lived in the north of England myself, where it seems to be rather hard to find a bad chippy, I was quite sceptical at first, but decided to follow her anyway, and boy, am I glad that I did! Bailey's is one of those places where you are made to feel welcome the second that you walk through the doors. We were greeted with a big smile and seated straight away at one of the tables along the walls.It was shortly before 5pm so the place was still fairly quiet, although it was clear that the few diners who were in there were locals, which is always an excellent sign as it indicates that the food served in there is not the greasy, mediocre and overpriced tourist grub that you can find in so many other areas in London. We decided to go for the lunch special, and after about 10 mins, were brought 2 huge, albeit only "regular" (according to the menu), portions of cod and chips, with the loveliest tartare sauce to go with it. The fish was very fresh ( I actually saw one of the staff prepare it as I went to wash my hands, so no doubt there!), with a suculently moist, flaky flesh, encased in a beautifully crispy batter. The chips were chunky, cooked to golden perfection yet still fluffy on the inside, and perfectly complemented by the tartare sauce served with the dish. We both thoroughly enjoyed every bite, and despite the fact that the portions were really big, had no trouble polishing off the plates, which we don't usually manage to do! The owner regularly came over to us to check whether everything was ok, which added to the welcoming, convivial atmosphere which characterises the place. By the time we left, at about 5.45, the place had filled up and a queue had started forming outside. The bill came to a ridiculous £12.50 for 2 people, including soft drinks, which in that area of London, you'd be very hard pushed to beat! The only downsides for me are: 1) as it is so popular, you'd have to come at an off peak time if you want to be guaranteed a seat, unless you want take away; 2) it's in Fulham, over 1 hour away from where I live in the east end (not that that's going to stop me!); 3) with food this good, this place is now one of my firm favourite eating spots in London, which makes sticking to my diet rather elusive. I blame Bailey's!