“Fantastic chippy”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Like many others, I was attracted to Bailey's after reading the fantastic news article about their humble chippy beating the Ritz restaurant and rating so highly on TripAdvisor. I travelled clear across London (well, Piccadilly to Fulham) to try out their grub and it didn't disappoint.

I had planned to just grab a take-away before I entered Bailey's however I was really pleased to discover that there were seats and tables on offer for those who wanted to eat-in. The greeting was very welcoming from a very upbeat waitress and this was rolled out every other guest I saw come and go during my meal.

What I really liked was the venue's presentation, cleanliness and management. Food orders were called out to the cooks just like a professional restaurant and the time between ordering and eating was minute, impressive since they had a lot of custom whilst I was there.

The selection is great and the prices are extremely reasonable. I'm not sure whether fishes like Cod are from sustainable sources but I wouldn't be surprised since this is a slick establishment. I had the Rock and a portion of chips, which was just beautiful-nothing was overly fatty or soggy.

I'll be heading there again and I'd advise you to check it out as well if you have a hankering for some good old British fish and chips.

1  Thank rorytufano
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was in the area for a conference at Olympia and did a quick search of restaurants in the area and found Baileys. No. 3 on trip Advisor? No need to look any further.

There are only 10-15 seats, all on a counter around the edge and I was able to order and sit down straight away. I went for sole goujons, calamari, chips, beans, a gherkin with aioli and tartar sauce to dip into. The whole meal came to £15 but I eat a lot and that would probably have fed two normal people. They were doing a lunchtime special of cod and chips for around £5 which is exceptionally good value.

There seemed to be some confusion with my order; before my food was served one of the staff asked if it was ok to serve my goujons and calamari on the same plate, they referred to me not having chips which I corrected them on. Then The calamari, goujons and chips arrived but my gherkin, beans, aioli and tartar sauce had been forgotten and I had to remind the staff so I was waiting on these for a few minutes. This is the only reason I did not give 5 stars and I feel a bit bad about that but I was sat there with my food getting cold waiting for my sauces so it has to be done.

Other than that little blip the service was really good. The staff were all polite and friendly and I even heard a couple of people being asked if they wanted any more chips in case they were not full enough which was a nice touch.

The food was all delicious. The calamari was particularly good, as good as any I have had in much more expensive establishments. It tasted fresh and did not have a hint of that rubbery texture that calamari often has in cheaper establishments. The goujons were also tasty, cooked perfectly so they were crunchy on the outside without being greasy, The chips were equally good, just the right texture.

I would highly recommend a visit to Baileys, even if it means a bit of travelling across London. What you pay on the tube you will save on the price of your meal. It is just a shame it's not a bit closer to me. I live near Herne Hill so Ollys is our local go-to fish and chip place, it is quite a bit more expensive than Baileys, admittedly it is a bit fancier and has a bigger range on the menu but I think the chips in Baileys were actually better.

If you live anywhere near Baileys and you haven't been then get involved and even if you are a bit further afield but enjoy your fish and chips then make sure you give it a visit.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

It's a few minutes walk from the nearest Tube station:either Parsons Green or Fulham Broadway. We took Fulham Broadway and it's about 10 minutes' walk. They took our reservation for 10 a few minutes before we arrived.

And was I surprised! The place is small and you only have counters on the wall. And that made it it ben more fun for our party of 10. Service was excellent - I suppose the Dad was the main chef and he welcomed us very warmly as the other staff led us to the chairs.

There are lots of choices here. But as we had come a long long way, we went straight to the jugular: fish and chips. And we were not disappointed. Fresh and delicious cod and chips served simply but certainly one of the best I have had in my life. I guess the friendly service and simple rough-and-tumble ambience added to the flavour.

We will definitely go back and we can now try their other offerings. My sons will want to try their beef. But for me, I will go back for the fish and chips!

Congratulations Bailey's! You deserve to be on top!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

What a nice surprise to find a fantastic fish and chip shop ............. and it's been under my nose for a long time. Nothing like the greasy chippies that I've experienced before; Baileys fish has a great, light, greaseless batter and the chips are crispy and tasty. Friendly staff too. I'm hooked!!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Came here with my friends who live in fulham - and I have to say when they said we were off for fish and chips my heart sank. But this place was great - the batter on the fish was really light and crisp and not oily like most. We managed to get a seat inside to sit down - there isn't much room so we were lucky. Huddled together eating fish, chips and peas whilst it was raining outside provided a great memory. The food is good quality, portions are good and I would defineatly go back.

1  Thank sian h