“Facts and Fiction”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I declare an interest (so this review must clearly be biased) in that I’ve know the aptly named Fisher family who run Baileys for some years. I’ve followed their success as they’ve built up struggling fish & chips restaurants into the most successful in any area they set-up shop. I was disappointed to read the some recent negative reviews based on some simply wrong facts – criticise the food, the staff, the ambience, the establishments’ name by all means, but best get your facts right. For example...

The fish IS frozen when it is delivered to the restaurant – like almost every other fish is to any other restaurant in the world. You see every fish is frozen on the trawler that catches it within 20 minutes of being hauled aboard. And it stays that way until it reaches the restaurant. Otherwise it would be rancid.

As to the oil being dirty, it is actually (at some expense) changed every day. Go and watch them at 11am every morning. Perhaps that explains the light and clean taste that customers appear to think sets the food apart from other chippies that cut that important corner.

Heat lamps? None there – perhaps that reviewer was actually in a different restaurant after all.

The rather scurrilous suggestion that the positive reviews were in some ways engineered by the owners is understandable (the British just love to build up the underdog, then knock them down when they succeed). More likely a large number of 5* rating appearing in quick succession is because they are victims of their own success. If you get to No2 on trip advisor (Sept 2013) from the 12,000 restaurants in London, it is probably inevitable that the reviews are going to increase. And if the experience and food are good, they are going to be positive reviews. Many of the 5* reviews come from seasoned TA reviewers from all over the world.

I ate there with my family last weekend and it was an experience to remember. A word of advice though - don’t take away if you can eat-in – Fish & Chips and the delicate batter are at their best straight out of the fryer. However there is limited seating to eat-in, for which reason I am only able to give them 5 stars.

7  Thank lizlegrec
Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This little Fish and Chip shop, which was started by The Fisher Brothers, two delightful twin brothers, whose surname is actually Fisher, has become a Fulham institution. Everyone in the know goes there for their fish and chips! Portions are generous and there is a choice of steamed or fried fish, which is handy if one is on a diet. Personally, we just love the cod and chips with mushy peas and home made tartar sauce. Yum!

3  Thank Cleovix
Reviewed September 16, 2013

so good....so fresh...so big!!! We wanted some legitimate London fish and chips and after I saw the reviews we had to try it. They had a great lunch special with a drink, fish and chips and it was amazing. So glad we stopped in. Very friendly staff as well

1  Thank zimrsz
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Delicious fish and chips. The medium cod was really big and tasty.
Great value: only 5£ at lunch!
Good service and friendly staff!
They were surprised when we came in as tourists and were really nice with us.
Highly recommended!

3  Thank Ylenia F
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Well,where do i start.
After hearing so much about Baileys,from the reviews and internet,we decided it was time to see if it was all true.Not only was it all true,it was much better than that.
I took my wife and son and grandson up to fulham from wrotham in kent. quite a trip,but oh so worth it.
Firstly,its quite a small place,with stools along the wall and windows.We needed a high chair for my 16 month grandson,they did not have one ,but assured us they would get one.
We saw the deal in the window,fish and chips 5.00 ,so we ordered it x 3. well it came out ,freshly cooked,it was huge,and it was by far the best fish and chips ive ever had.Unbelieveable value for a fiver.The wife could not eat all hers,[ result,cos i got to finish hers too].if you want the best fish and chips ,ever,go to baileys in Fulham,you will not regret it.I cannot recommed it highly enough,it was superb,great place ,.great staff.I will definately be returning.

1  Thank Havrry1963