“Cities at Dawn, Istanbul October 2015”

Cities at Dawn Photography Workshops
Ranked #53 of 195 Classes & Workshops in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Photography workshops in London, Paris and Venice focused on capturing these beautiful cities at Dawn. Led by photographer Anthony Epes, these workshops are inspired by Anthony's book series of Cities at Dawn. Starting with 'blue hour photography' you'll get the low down on professional techniques and how to confidently and creatively shoot on manual. These unique and exciting workshops are designed to teach you how to photograph the city in the pre-dawn and early morning hours, a time when opportunities for great photographs are plentiful. Photographer and leader of the workshops Anthony Epes says "Photographing cities at dawn is a photographers paradise. The light is incredible and the city is virtually empty. There are plentiful opportunities to create stunning images and I am always amazed at how few people take advantage of this time. In my workshops I teach how to photograph the dawn light - from the 'blue hour' when the sky turns from black, to deep blue and then starts to break open with sunlight. We will photograph the iconic views of each city as well as discovering hidden spots and interesting characters. I love teaching workshops and sharing my passion, skills and creativity. Photography has taught me so much about how to appreciate this amazing world that we live in - and I love to share it with people who have as much passion for photography as I do." Designed for beginner and intermediate photographers, a basic understanding of how your camera operates is recommended. -Professional Photo Training -Suitable for beginner to advanced amateur -Small Groups - Rediscover London, Paris and Venice at this amazing time -Two day weekend workshops -Discover hidden views in dawn light Taught by professional photographer Anthony Epes FEATURED IN: BBC World News Telegraph Time Out London Independent on Sunday Digital Photographer Magazine The Big Issue Evening Standard
Reviewed December 7, 2015

Istanbul is a fascinating and photogenic city and Anthony Epes' photography workshop "Cities at Dawn" was the perfect vehicle for a solo female traveller, like myself, to discover a city in a non-touristic and yet safe way.
It was very easy to bond with a group who shared the common interest of photography and I found my fellow photographers generous both with their tips and knowledge, and (when it became evident that the back pack I had brought was woefully unfit for purpose), their equipment - many thanks again for the lend of the bag Shaun !
Two highlights of the holiday were the guided walking tours, one a gastronomic trawl through the eateries of Beyoglu and the other an exploration of the suburb of Balat which began with a ferry trip and was fuelled by a delicious home-made lunch hosted in the courtyard of a Greek church. (There was also a spontaneous shopping trip to a very well stocked camera equipment "bazaar" thrown in for good measure !)
The photography tuition was professional, unpretentious and "tailored". I greatly appreciated that Anthony allowed me the space to both photograph and observe at my own pace whilst deftly encouraging me to venture out from the comfort zones of auto setting, telephoto lens', cliched subjects and even daylight ! (My first proper dawn shoot - quite a buzz to be sharing the Hippodrome Square with only a bunch of manic, in the nicest possible way, dogs and the moonlight…….and Anthony……..and all the other people with tripods…….)
In addition, the workshop not only gave me the opportunity to flex my under-exercised creativity muscle but, of equal value and pleasure, to witness the creative process of both Anthony and the other photographers in the group and to see the same subjects interpreted so diversely through other people's eyes.
All in all a very enjoyable trip that I would recommend highly.
(Some tips: Bring a proper camera bag ! Pack light weight all weather clothes including rain gear (for October), sturdy walking footwear and something to treat a touch of "stanbul" belly (just in case.) Istanbul is quite hilly in places - if you aren't going up, you are most likely to be going down - so be averagely hiking fit.)

1  Thank Rachel A
in 2 reviews
"photographs"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed November 30, 2015

After Paris and Venice, London was my third workshop with Anthony. Extremely helpful to learn with him how to master your camera and the light. Anthony is not only an excellent professional who give good advice and tips, but also a great guy. To follow him around cities at dawn and shooting a lot of pictures is an unforgetable experience. Worth the trip !

1  Thank cat082015
Reviewed November 25, 2015

Did this back in July. Tremendously good to make you think about your photography. It's an early start - dawn is quite early in July! - but it’s amazing how much is still going on at 4 in the morning. It’s a small group and Anthony tailors his input to your needs. I’m still processing what I learned (pictures and head!).

2  Thank jubilad0
Reviewed November 20, 2015

This was a gift from my partner and when she told me I had to meet a stranger on a bridge at 5am I was a little unsure but there was no reason to be. Anthony is really friendly and extremely knowledgable, straight away he was giving me tips and advice on setting up my tripod and camera for the impending sunrise over London. Up until the weekend with Anthony, I had been using my mirrorless camera in intelligent auto mode but he switched it straight to manual and explained ISO, aperture and exposure in a way that was easy to understand and how it would affect the picture. This alone has helped me be more creative in my photography and was well worth the early start.

I can't recommend Anthony and his dawn city walks enough. I came away with some amazing pictures, a greater confidence in using my camera in its more creative functions and a better understanding on "seeing" what's around me.

2  Thank Jonny D