“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meat People

Meat People
Ranked #425 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Neighborhood restaurant specializing in quality meats next to Islington Green. Offering a new lunch menu between 12-4pm Monday to Friday and Brunch from 10am to 4pm to Saturday & Sunday. We also serve a wide selection of teas & coffees and hand-made cakes, cocktails and organic wines. On Fridays and Saturdays we stop serving food at 12am but continue to serve drinks until 12:30.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

steak was amazing and atmosphere was great on a friday night, staff was friendly. I recommend this to all steak lovers!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ortiz281

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Intimate and relaxed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

The thing I really love about this restaurant is the intimate, relaxed atmosphere. The attention to detail in the decor makes this a great place to spend an evening. It feels old, traditional, as though it has been here a long time which I understand that isn't the case, although without going over-the-top as in some branches like Byron, which are deliberately made to look as though they are falling apart. Here, they do it with style.

The food was very flavorsome and delicious. The menu had a good range, including swordfish steak alongside the beef and others. I had the prawn starter followed by the rib eye steak with courgettes and chips as sides. I wish I could have had a desert, they looked delicious but I was too full! As some other previous reviewers, I found the starter portion size lacking but the steak made up for it. I ordered medium-rare and found it cooked perfectly to my liking. I would whole heatedly recommend getting a sauce alongside too, the gravy was delicious and did not overwhelm the flavor of the steak.

Space is quite limited so I would recommend booking ahead.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Chrisjbulford
london
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have been to this restaurant twice and everything was great both times.
Service, deco, but more importantly the food and especially the steaks!!
Higly recommended!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank mclouka
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I think this place epitomises the new breed of steakhouse in London. They all promise so much but yet so few really deliver when you consider the price. There's nothing particularly wrong with The Meat People but it simply doesn't deliver the pleasure of somewhere like the Hawksmoor yet the saving is fairly minimal.

Starters shared were halloumi, squid and quail. Squid was dreadful. Sort of breadcrumbed but totally lacking in anything. Halloumi was, well halloumi. My fault I guess for choosing a pointless ingredient. Always hopeful someone could do something with it. Quail tasty but so small. Yes I know quails are small birds but if you serve it for £7 then it must be more than a few nibbles on a bone.

The mains, steak. My ribeye was ok. Asked for medium rare but this came virtually blue. Luckily I don't mind, shame it seemed to lack flavour. This comes back to my starter comment in that if you charge £26 for a steak then it must be a certain standard. This ticked the size box but not the taste. Quality could be better. Chips too were decent without being great.

Wine good, Californian Cab Sauvignon at c£30.

My comments may sound a little harsh but when London has many better steakhouses at a similar price, I'm afraid I'd struggle to recommend this one.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Chris S
London, United Kingdom
“Great for intimate birthdays/ family gatherings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This really impressed me. My friends brought me here for my birthday. It had a really good atmosphere and the food was really nice. Interesting music playing in the background too!

• Visited March 2013