“Best steak in London!”

The Bull Steak Expert
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bull Steak Expert is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #151 of 22,544 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Holborn
“Best steak in London!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Brought up in South Africa I am used to top quality steak - i moved to the uk and only after 3 yrs have i found the best steak in London - greattttt food, great price and FANTASTIC service - they actually smile and know what they are talking about.
The steak melts in your mouth and when u ask for med rare they give you med rare!
The steak is so tasty no sauce is needed (but if you get one, go for the mushroom sauce-YUMMMM)
Do youself a favour - go!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Superb steak, and really friendly service”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

For my son's 25th birthday I decided to take him out to experience Asian Fusion; that is until he announced that he really fancied going to an Argentinean Steak House. What to do? All the Hawksmoor venues were full, so I tried The Bull based on the reviews. We made a good start - the person I spoke to on the phone to place the booking was extremely friendly. This matters, because in my experience some restaurants fall at this first hurdle and it can be symptomatic of worse things to come. This very good service extended throughout our meal; a really lovely Brazilian waitress could not have been more helpful (and was very knowledgeable about the different cuts of beef). The food is relatively simply cooked - and superb quality. Our family cares about food and can be demanding to please (especially at London prices) but we had a great evening, and the meal satisfied the birthday challenge! Recommended.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and lovely restaurant”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had a lovely evening at the Bull Steak Expert. Only discovered it by chance as it's tucked away in a quiet-ish street near my office. Slightly hesitant to say good things about it as I don't want it to get booked up!!

Service was top notch and our waitress (Ruth I think) was really helpful and happy to explain the menu in detail. She knew her wine really well too. It was the sort of service that was attentive but not to the point of being annoying. They knew when to leave you alone!

We opted for the set menu, which we had to ask for as it came on a separate menu to the one we were given. £29 for three courses.

Before our starters arrived we were given a little pre-starter on the house which was a tiny slice of grilled aubergine and some bread. It was really tasty, but very small - but I'm greedy!!

We both had empanadas to start with which were delicious. With the set menu you only get one empanada, but I think you get two with the a la menu. That's fair enough though - you get what you pay for.

Then I had the best steak I've had in a long time - marinated in parsley, garlic and oil and it was DELICIOUS. Perfectly cooked. The marinade was really flavoursome and the meat was really good quality. With the set menu you get a side dish as well, but we ordered extra ones - you probably don't need to but it just depends how hungry you are! Particularly liked the mushrooms, but the grilled veggies were good too.

Pudding for me was passion fruit mousse - yummy!! My boyfriend had the pancake with dulce de leche which was also very good.

In summary: great little restaurant, great food, great service! For a special occasion I'd be happy to pay full price (price wise it's probably on a par with the well known steak restaurants). But with the set menu, we spent just over £50 a head including a nice bottle of wine and extra side dishes, which I think was good value for the standard of food.

Will definitely return.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing Steaks!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I had dinner here tonight and the steak was easily one of the best I have ever had!!

I went for the 400g Sirloin, medium-rare and it came cooked to perfection with a crisp caramelised crust on the outside and tender, juicy on the inside.

The chips were good - they initially looked like frozen chips but were too good to be frozen ones!

£4 for a single grilled prawn on top of the steak was a bit steep - I'd skip this next time!

1 Thank portex
New York City, New York
“Great ambiance and service, but the food did not quite live up to the hype.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We arrived at the Bull on Friday, September 7th, and after a full day at the Paralympics we were looking forward to a great meal in such a highly regarded place. Although we didn’t have a reservation they were very gracious and was able to accommodate us as it was still quite early for dinner. If you go, do plan ahead and make reservations, because by the end of our meal we observed that every table was taken on both floors. We were seated downstairs (which is the area for larger parties), and for almost the entire meal we were the only ones there, and it was quite nice and very romantic. Our server was wonderful; very informative and attentive, without being in the way.

A lovely environment and attentive service sound very nice, but what of the food? Much has been made of this establishment, and debates within London over the best steaks in the City invariably include the Bull, and I guess it’s justified to a degree that they at least be included in the conversation. Personally, however, I thought it was ‘good’, but not great. I might be missing something here, but I wasn’t as blown away as I expected, and I thought it was overly expensive for what was offered. In all openness, I think the meal itself did not live up to the hype. My partner had the rump, while I had the sirloin, and to the Bull’s credit, both were well prepared, I must say. By recommendation, we tried the chimichurri as an accompaniment to the steaks, and it did add a bit of zest.

The presentation of the food was…underwhelming, as it appeared that the steaks were just thrown onto the platters, which made for a rather barren plate. But, of course, such simplicity can be on point IF the product is ‘all that’, which it really wasn’t in this case. I’m not saying it was a bad experience, and perhaps I just don’t ‘get it’ and maybe I’m not enough of a connoisseur to appreciate it, but I’ve really had much better steaks from some of the everyday regular chains back in the States at much better prices. Our meal came out to 75 GBP, which is about USD 120 without wine (neither of us drink), which in itself is not criminally expensive, but I just didn’t think the meal represented value. I’ve not hit other places around town such as JW Steakhouse or Hawksmoor to compare, although the next time I’m in London I will, for sure.

In closing, I’m not saying not to go; sure, go check it out, as it will certainly not be bad. What I am saying however, was that I was a bit disappointed as it did not meet the high expectations generated from such positive word of mouth.

Hope this helps