“poor experience”

Takara Sushi Bar
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: Takara Sushi bar is a newly opened Japenese Bar offering live Sushi and Sashimi along with Sake and Japanese beer.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

i'm a big foodie and I appreciate good restaurants. My experience at Takara was somewhat disappointing though. I work a stones throw from this place so thought id treat my partner to a meal here. When I first arrived I was sent to my seat but on two separate occasions (a few minutes apart) I was asked by the same waitress 'am I meant to be here' and 'did I have permission to sit in this seat'. both comments were incredibly rude and I felt like leaving, plus to top it off the waitress left me waiting 20 minutes without a drink (despite ordering) and I had to ask the head matradee to get it for me.

Just to set my profile - I am 32 years old, well dressed and work in a professional job on Queen Elizabeth Street - not exactly rif-raf off the street.

the sushi platter was ok but dry. I ordered an additional £30 platter as we were still hungry and this did not fill the gap. Whilst I paid a total of £73 (£30 groupon voucher and £43 for the platter and a single vodka coke...) it should have come to roughly £143 assuming normal value. Now I've eaten at some of the best restaurants in London (Galvin at Windows, Sushi Samba etc) and pound for pound Takara was pretentious and over priced.

not too pleased and will certainly not be recommending this to anyone. Despite what other diners claim my experience was rubbish, and only accentuated by the rude waitress at the beginning.

my advice - avoid filling some fatcats pockets and eat elsewhere. I bet the owner couldn't give a hoot regarding my poor experience

5  Thank chris m

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We just did this as part of a (i think groupon) deal at £35 for 2 including bottle of champagne, sushi platter (18-22-ish pieces for two)

the service was friendly and we were able to sit in the nice main restaurant (although sushi bar looked good too)

The sushi was very nice (maybe a tad warm?). If you are quite hungry the platter may not be enough for 2- we ordered some extra maki rolls, the tempura ones which were very nice

While not loads of food, the champagne really makes this deal- enjoyed good food and nice bubbly!

Not sure i would pay full price as 6 maki for £9.50 isnt cheap but you are in the nice surrounds so its never going to be itsu prices i guess. sushi tasted fresh too

1  Thank HG001London
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Used a Groupon deal and had sushi here with a friend and it was great, the food was fresh, well presented and delicious. We washed this down with a very nice bottle of Champagne. Normal price for our goodies would have been £98.00 but with the Groupon deal it only cost £35.00. Amazing value!

1  Thank ANTHONY W
Reviewed April 13, 2013

went with a friend yesterday and absolutely loved it! i have eaten sushi a various places, but this was definitely the best... highly recommend!!

1  Thank Mohammed G
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our evening at Takara Sushi Bar. The sushi was excellent and combined very well with a lovely bottle of champagne.