“Great location for London attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Arlington House

Arlington House
Ranked #31 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Houston, Texas
“Great location for London attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I traveled on business to London recently and stayed in a one-bedroom apartment at Arlington house. The apartment was quite spacious compared to others in London where square footage is at a premium. The one I had was street facing because that was all that was available when I booked. A park facing apartment became available, but by that time I was settled in for my six week stay and didn't feel like packing/moving. What I appreciated most were the little extra's that you don't normally find in an apartment- a guest toilet and sink, heated tiled bathroom and kitchen floors, Miele appliances, separate shower to bath (on request), nice fixtures and furnishings. The king sized bed was actually two standards pushed together - and was a little too firm for my liking; but adequate and clean. Central air/heating. Actually, I stayed there over winter and found the apartment to be very warm without the need to turn on the heating (probably due to the heated floors and towel racks). The staff and service was terrific. As I worked long hours, it was difficult for me to contact housekeeping during their workday, so I was able to email my requests - and they were all promptly addressed and taken care of. The porters on the desk are friendly. The laundry service is good, standard prices for central London. The downside to the laundry service is that you pay in cash for it at collection - it can't be added to the main room invoice. Wifi has a good connection and you pay for this separately too. It is located on Green Park and walking distance to west end attractions. Green park tube is conveniently located and has ramps/lifts for access. Note that there are lobby stairs - the porters help you with your luggage, but you have two short flights of stairs in the lobby. The apartment, even while street facing, was quiet and comfortable. A home away from home.

Room Tip: Apartments facing Green Park are quieter and have a better view. Higher street-facing floors are mo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank waejae_jae
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on your recent stay with us here at Arlington House Apartments in St. James's.

I was delighted to read that the service and your accommodations met with your expectations and that you you enjoyed your stay with us. You are correct we have a fair share of our units that do face our garden and have direct views into Green Park and as you mentioned they are indeed very quite.

We are fortunate that all of our one bedroom apartments are spacious and roomy which is of course ideal especially when you are here for a long stay.I take on board your comments about the laundry service and I will certainly look into the process and see if there is another way we can manage this better.

I will share you comments and compliments with my colleages and once again I would like to thank you for your reveiw.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to your "home from home" on a future visit to London.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have just returned home having spent Christmas in London staying at Arlington House for 7 nights. We booked a 1 bedroomed apartment (49) for our married children and 3 month old infant son and a 2 bedroomed apartment (81) for me and my wife (we like to have the extra space and extra bathroom). As previous reviews have mentioned the building is in a prime position (next door to the Ritz Hotel) and M&S, Sainsbury and Boots are mere minutes away for groceries and other odds and ends. Green Park tube station is on the doorstep and Fortnum and Mason, Bond Street, the Burlington Arcade, the Piccadily Arcade and the Royal Academy are also just minutes away ...as are Green Park, Hyde Park, Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square. The weather was often wet and windy and we spent a fair amount of time indoors. We found both apartments suited our needs well. Our kitchen was fully kitted out in Miele appliances and the wide flat screen TV and surround sound system in the lounge was a pleasure. The only outside noise we were aware of was the police/ambulance sirens ...... I should imagine that the sirens would also be heard in The Ritz which is right on Picadilly. My daughter complained of the noise from the apartment above them. All in all we were very happy here and would return.

Room Tip: A good option would be an apartment with views onto Green Park.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LesRuhrmund
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Ruhrmund

Firstly, many apologies for the delay in responding to your wonderful review after your stay with us in December. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that the servcies and facilities suited your needs.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I very much hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Arlington House in the near future.

Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is a prime location within a distance walk from many attractions and most significant from Green Park tube station. However, the 2 bedrooms apartment we have stayed in was very poorly maintained. The heat didn't work in the leaving room (in the winter!!) and worked partly in one of the bedrooms. Tne audio system didnt work and some of the water taps were out of order as well. One of the bathrooms was not cleaned and the housekeeping did not take care of that on our 4 days stay. There was a strong smell of fish stew in the corridor leading to the flat.
Bottom line - not a good value for money deal. Take only if location is of most importance to you.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank shmulikreu
Dear Shmulikreu

Thank you for your comments relating to your stay at Arlington House in December last year. Firstly I would like to extend my apologies to you and your family as it would appear that the accommodations provided did not meet with your expectations.

I know some time has elapsed since your stay but nevertheless I am dissappointed to read about your experience and I am sure it did,nt enhance your stay here or your enjoyment in London.

We strive to provide clean and functional apartments and to ensure all our guests comfort and well being. On this occassin we failed and I am extremely sorry for this. I will share your comments with my Housekeeping team so they may be aware of these shortcomings and we can work together to make sure it does,nt happen again.

It would be nice to think that you may want to give us another opportunity if you return to London again in the future.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed in a studio apartment for three nights. The property is ideally located for theatres, galleries, shops, and restaurants. Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Knightsbridge, Oxford Street, and all central London points of interest are within easy walking distance.

The studio was well furnished, very clean, and the kitchen was surprisingly well equipped. An apartment with a separate bedroom is recommended for a longer stay but the studio was perfectly satisfactory for a long weekend. Kitchen cleaning and washing up materials are provided but you'll need to bring your own shampoo etc as only soap tablets are supplied in the bathroom. The apartment was serviced every day.

Don't expect hotel facilities; for example, there isn't a restaurant or a gym, but with Piccadilly and Green Park on the doorstep there's plenty of scope for eating and exercise. Reception staff were helpful and welcoming; check in and check out took only a couple of minutes.

Some contributors have commented on the level of street noise - what a surprise in the centre of London! It's no worse than many city hotels and better than a lot. If you are particularly sensitive you should bring ear plugs - but I would make that recommendation for a stay in any hotel.

Overall, a pleasing experience and excellent value for money in such a central location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B P
devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed in a studio apartment for three nights earlier this month by myself. The location was excellent for what I needed (meetings in Burlington House). The apartment was clean and tidy and looked like it had been refurbished recently. I found some facilities cumbersome (e.g. one tap worked clockwise, one anticlockwise, one by pulling, another by pushing) or poorly explained (e.g. no TV guide, too many scrambled or redundant channels). The apartment felt a bit lifeless, with plain white walls and no pictures or features, but my biggest gripe was with the street noise. Although fitted with dg windows, I could not believe the noise in the small hours from rich boy racers tearing down Picadilly, shouting, sirens, car horns... Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep and ended up exhausted on my return home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cooneycooney
Almaty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Excellelent location, 3min from the Palace, next to Ritz. Many restaurants, shops and big brends such as Dolce & Gabbana are located around the house. A flat was clean jt was cleaned everyday except weekend, it had everything to cook, except microwave. The flat didnt have shampoo and some basic stuff such as hair dryer.
Extra bed costs 45 pounds per day that doesnt include extra towels.
A Supermarket is about 4 min walk.
It is very quiet in the flat, noise from the streets cannot be heard.
Generally, it is not 5 star, it is a good 4 star house.

Room Tip: If you are 3 people you can just book 1 bed apartment and take extra bed. You can save 155 pounds pe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family and I stayed in Arlington House, Mayfair (SW1A 1RL) in London for 1 week.
It was really disapointing as it was an old building without any well-maintained facilities. The room was not clean enough and most importantly, the noise and smell of cooked food from other rooms were not blocked at all. The staffs were not able to speak fluent English to communicate and they were not kind. Only advantage about this accomodation is that it is in a good location for tourists and has a well-functioning shower.

The most terrible thing was that the safety box was not working on the day of check-in, and my jewellery (3 sets of earings) were lost in the apartment.
Be careful with your possession, and beware especially when your safety box does not work!!
It was a waste of lots of money.

Room Tip: Just don't choose this accommodation.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family