“Rude staff”

Ranked #2,241 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Westminster
Description: You will find The Marquis of Granby in Westminster London within a short stroll of Millbank, Horseferry Road and Marsham Street - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Marquis of Granby is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visited this pub on a Saturday night, and as much as I understand that having only two people on the bar on a busy night puts the bar staff under lots of pressure, I have to say that I found the bar staff (one in particular) to be very rude and did a very good job of ignoring people who had been standing at the bar for ages. They also seemed to be adverse to ever making eye contact, or acknowledging your presence. I started to wonder if I had turned into the invisible woman. When I asked if I could be served as I had been waiting for ages, I was met with a rude and dismissive response. I'm not one to complain normally, but for this I have made an exception.
I will not come back to this pub again, which is a real shame!

2  Thank adrianna100

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Even on a Thursday, this area was very busy with a lively atmosphere. There are lots of restaurants in Charlotte Street around the corner and the whole area, Fitzrovia has lots of pubs, there are 5 with a few hundred yards of this one and more on Goodge Street just to the north, Oxford Street is just south. The beers are well kept and there is room to stand outside which is just as well as once the office crowd get in there after work its packed.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had read about this pub on the Internet and we happily ate here two evenings in a row. The waitress, Sandy, was so kind and friendly and we had a nice time talking with her. Unfortunately, both evenings they were out of the Beef Pie, but we enjoyed fish and chips one evening and Chicken Pies a second.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Looking for a pub to eat in during a cool, rainy night recently, we happened upon The Marquis of Granby Pub in the Fitzrovia section. We were drawn to the pub because of its warm lighting and opening at the bar. We enjoyed our ale and cider, then had delicious food. The creamy tomato soup was thick with great spices- a great way to warm up. We then had typical pub food- sausage and mash. It is mashed potatoes with sausages and covered with a carmelized onion gravy. Too good. The bartender was friendly and we had good service.

1  Thank jenniferwilliams7
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Located in an historic building, I believe the pub has operated for over 200 years. Full table service restaurant upstairs, and more bar/pub stand up downstairs. We were there on a Friday night so downstairs was jumping with after work crowd, spilling out into the street (partly because of smoking ban inside I think). The waitress Sandra was a doll and very engaging, told us a little history of the place: there is a tunnel from the basement direct to/from the houses of parliament, so the elite could sneak over for a round or two during the day.