“Super comfy stay for a weary traveler”

The Oaks Guest House
Ranked #33 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Super comfy stay for a weary traveler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at The Oaks in Sept (2013) and it was outstanding! I had been traveling all day (plane, bus, subway), and was exhausted when I got off at the tube station with my luggage. It was a short, convenient walk to The Oaks, and I nearly cried with relief when I saw the guest house and then my room. It was very inviting. My room (and bathroom) was spotless, and the bedding was super clean and fresh. Cleanliness is VERY important to me, and this exceeded my expectations. I was so happy to be able to relax in a comfortable room. The neighborhood is very quiet and residential, which was also nice. After resting for a bit, it was easy to walk to the restaurants near the tube station for dinner. I had a wonderful night's sleep. Breakfast the next morning was tasty and filling. There was plenty of delicious food to eat, and I really enjoyed talking to Breda. I would definitely stay there again, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank E G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This is the 2nd time my husband and I stay in The Oaks and we have been very pleased with our last stay. We stayed for 15 days in December and we have been very pleased. Breda is always trying to help and she is a wonderful hostess. The rooms are nice and comfortable. We would definitely go back.
There are a few suggestions we would make though :
- more hangers in the wardrobe
- no towel heater in the bathroom (as stated in the website) and in the winter months it is very importante.
- the heat is turned off in the afternoons so when we stayed in the afternoons it got very cold

Besides that...perfect !
Will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patriciaDubai
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

My family and I have spent 6 nights at the Oaks Guest House, Southgate (from 29 Nov 2013 to 5 Dec 2013). Our Host, Breda is a very accommodating and nice lady. She served superb breakfast as we have variety of choices to choose from. She will always check and ensure we have a complete breakfast. Breda and her assistant, Lorraine are very informative in direction, public transportation and places of attractions. The room is complete with toiletries and in room complementary beverages are plentiful (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cappuccino and biscuits). Thank you Breda for making our stay in UK a wonderful and memorable one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband, my grandson and myself stayed here for 2 nights. Breda, our hostess, was so welcoming and hospitable. Nothing was too much trouble. Our grandson is only 2 yrs of age and Breda was most accommodating of this. We loved the breakfast and our room was so comfortable. Would we recommend this guest house - YES WE WOULD! Will we be staying again? YES WE WILL! We normally stay in Highbury but not any more. This place is close to the tube. More comfortable than some hotels we have stayed in and certainly a lot more friendly. Thank you Breda!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank weehinny051055
Benicia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in the middle of November. Our hostess, Breda, could not have been better. Very warm, welcoming and absolutely went way out of her way to help us. A first rate experience in every which way. The Southgate neighborhood (where The Oaks is located) is outside the central London area, but the nearby underground station made getting around to the places that we wished to visit quite convenient. My highest ratings for this lovely BnB.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingman59
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Tony and Breda have a gem here in the Oaks Guest House. We spent four nights in October 2013 here, and our room was very nice and big - and the bathroom was incredibly big! Breda puts a very nice continental breakfast out for you (it's a shame to call it a continental breakfast as the selection of what you can have is very good). I especially liked the fact that we could get crumpets - where have THESE tasty critters been all my life?

Breda and Tony couldn't have been more accommodating - in fact, on a rainy morning, we didn't ask, but Tony gave us a ride to the tube station! The Oaks is only about 7 or 8 minutes from the Southgate Tube Station; easily walkable (but don't trust the GPS - the first day we walked down the wrong road in the rain for a while before turning around and finding the right road). The location of this B&B is about a 45 minute tube ride from downtown London - but the savings are definitely worth it! Don't stay in a fleabag hotel downtown for twice the price, come out to Enfield and stay in style!

Quality of the room was excellent; bathroom incredibly appointed and BIG. You leave your shoes at the front door, so you know you're in a very nice home.

Thanks to Breda and Tony for a great experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights here over the weekend. The rooms were clean, newly decorated with lots of extra little touches that made our stay homely and welcome. We had an en-suite bathroom and the room was plenty big enough for the two of us and our 10 month old son. We had friends stay in another room with their 2 children also. It was handy to walk to the station to catch the train into London which the children loved and lovely to leave the hustle and bustle of the day and come back to the peace and quiet of the guest house. Breda and Tony were superb hosts and made us feel very welcome, and we enjoyed the breakfasts, especially the fresh fruits & pastries and brewed coffee. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Guest House.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family