Arriva Hotel
$288
$279
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were originally booked into another hotel around the corner. However, when I told her the price, she insisted we find a cheaper option, since the hotel was only a 2-star. We did a bit of research, and settled on Arriva, saving ourselves a total of £150. We read some of the reviews on here, saying it was dirty and cramped, so we went in a little anxious.

We were greeted by a friendly young man at the front desk named Sorryn (may be misspelled, sorry!). I asked if we could have the best available room, and without a hassle, he changed our room for no extra cost. We went straight to our room and we were happy we had found a good hotel. There were no "vegetables growing in the carpet", no musty, damp smell (despite what some reviewers said), and everything from the bed to the toilet were immaculate. We asked for directions to a good pub, and Sorryn was very helpful.

The next day, we were awaken by passing traffic at 6am. Not the best time to wake up with a hang-over! We shut the window, but it started to get quite hot in the room. At about 11am, we were up and dressed, about to explore London. On my way out, I met another guy behind the desk - Yaz. He was as friendly as Sorryn, and when I asked if there was a quieter room, he handed me the keys to one on the next floor for me to check out. Much quieter, and just as clean as the first room. We moved our things up, and headed out.

The location of this hotel is great, and the staff are extremely friendly - especially for London! I would stay here again. It is exactly what it says on the tin. Look at the price! If you want the Hilton, you will pay Hilton prices. If you're watching your money, look no further. Viva Arriva!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank leep_eers
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

In comparison to all the cheap budget accommodation I have stayed in over the years of my world travels, this is only ok. Its neither good or bad.

Its simple accommodation, near the international train stations in London and close to shops and pubs.

Ill start with the positive points: somewhat clean but have found dust and cobwebs where it could be seen and easily cleaned. There is a fridge, kettle with tea and coffee, simple yet modern furniture and decent bathroom facilities. Their is a lift that is big enough for 4 to 5 guests. Fire escapes are on every floor and smoke detectors are in every room. Breakfast is basic continental consisting of toast, sliced cheader cheese, ham, jams, yogurts, orange and apple juice, milk, corn flakes, cocopops, tea and coffee (instant coffee).

Now the bad points: while still on breakfast, this hotel has about 90 rooms and only 20 seats in the breakfast room. This means that there is a queue most of the time at the door of the breakfast room and on all occasions, we were sharing a table with other guests. Not that sharing is bad, we struck up some good conversations but with only about 20 seats in the room, dont expect your own table all the time. Some people were sitting on the steps eating.

The water pressue is very bad, very low and takes quite some time to have a shower. Low water pressure is something that is common for London though. The rooms bed were not nicely dressed like in the pictures on the internet. I even found a hair the first night on the bed that did not belong to any of us.

Their is no air conditioning, though with the windows open its was not so bad. But the traffic from near by Greys Inn Road can be heard easily with the windows open. A big rain storm hit while we were asleep and woke up wet from rain pouring through the widows and onto our beds.

You will also be asked to leave the key at reception while you are not in your room. This makes me feel uncomfortable for security reasons. And when picking up our key the first time, the new guy on shift asked us no questions and handed the key. If you're reading this Arriva, change this policy becuase its the main reason I will not stay at your hotel ever again and recommend others don't either.

One night we came back and the reception was unmanned. We waited for 10 min and then got frustrated with the other guests and took our own keys. This is an example of how poor this policy is for room security.

No laundry at all is in this building and the closest self service laundry is two blocks away. This is not really convenient if you have to spend one evening of your holiday in a laundry mat.

All in all, its ok, not good. I think its at least comfortable and thats why I am not saying that its bad. If you're looking for budget, then this is value for money considering this is London. But as I mentioned above, if you can get something else, I recommend taking it as the security is very poor.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Booked on-line, & on arrival thought we'd walked into a backpackers. The reception is sorely in need of a good makeover. Old dingy looking desk where the receptionist can disappear behind, & not be seen, making one feel there is no-one to greet you.
The room was SO SMALL, that the double bed was squashed in against the window- forcing one person to climb over the other!!!!!!!!
There was no bedside table (Where does one put your clock,phone etc?) The bathroom was tiny, so that only one person was able to use it at a time. The shower head is located about 8/9 feet up the side of the wall & supplies only a ring of water squirting at you, making it awkward to shampoo ones hair. The basin was so mall that one is not able to fit the kettle under the tap to fill it. Had to use the cup/glass backwards & forwards.
The cost of internet was £5 PER DAY! ......I find this fact almost impossible to credit. No-one is charged that amount to run a router & service! Ludicrous!
Breakfast is self service, tubs of yoghurt, cheap loaf of composition ham, cheese, toast, jams, 2 cereals, tea & coffee
I would not recommend this to any couple if they are going to spend a fair amount of time in the room, luckily were were out all day & arrived home quite late.

Room Tip: Did not see any of the othersrooms - but there appeared to be a fair amount of family occupancy, so perhaps they have other more spacious rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian T
Reviewed July 16, 2013

the hotel is a bit worn out but clean. ikea furniture in the room, tea set with kettle, tv, hair drier, daily towel change and shower cleaning. what else do you need from a 2*? the best thing about arriva is its location near rail stations and within walking distance from sightseeing attractions.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel is by far the worst that I have ever stayed in. The hotel is filthy inside and out, dirty carpet, dirty curtains, just gross. I was afraid to walk barefoot in the hotel room. In addition, the room was so hot that I couldn't sleep (even with the window open). The walls were so thin that I could hear the person in the next room snoring. There is just nothing good to say about this hotel except that the people who work there are nice. I am sure that I could find some nice people to talk to if I were sleeping on a park bench. No thanks. This place is a DUMP.

Room Tip: I would never stay in this hotel- in any room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo