“Business Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #162 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Business Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

I stayed in the St James' Court on Bank Holiday. I was very impressed with the character of the buildings. We were met at the entrance of the hotel with a very courteous chap complete with umbrella - a typical Bank Holiday weekend for weather!

Check in took 5 minutes and found my room on the 6th floor with ease. Well signposted throughout the hotel with enough staff to ask if you did get lost. I only booked a single room as I was only there one night and on my own. The room far exceeded my expectations. The bed was double, the room very spacious, bathroom lovely and all very clean. They had a vast room service menu which would have been wonderful if you were on your own; I met my sister for dinner so did not experience the service.

All in all a wonderful experience and should I ever head back to London on business or pleasure, this is the hotel I would chose. I could find no fault - I have only seen one review which was not good; this chap must be really hard to please as I did not witness any of his so called faults. Book it! Its lovely!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear MarianneD47,

Thank you for the review following your Bank Holiday weekend stay with us. We were delighted to read from the review that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and the in particular the room allocated to you and the service provided. We had wished you could have dined with us during your stay, but this is now an excuse to return to us soon.

Thank you again for the review following your stay.

St James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

Stayed at the Taj for four nights in London and found it to be a great experience - very central to all attractions such as Buckingham Palace, Trafalga Sq, London eye, Big Ben etc etc - all within walking distance. The service at the hotel was fantastic and had the best Indian food too - bonus that. Highly recommend - we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms with the king size beds are great - we had booked a classic double room but upgraded for a...
1 Thank Jabiruart
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Jabiruart,

Thank you for the fantastic review following your stay at the hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and I am delighted that you enjoyed the Indian Food in particular. Being an Indian based hotel company, we are proud of the great food that the team produce and all under the stewardship of our Executive Chef, Vikas Milhoutra.

We are delighted to be your hotel of choice in London and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

My sister and I stayed for a week at this Taj property. We were treated like royalty. We were made to feel welcome from reception on. Those on the concierge desk were all extremely helpful as were the porters. The waiters and waitresses were friendly and obliging. Housekeeping went out of their way to be helpful. There is a Business Centre with computers and other equipment for the regular person (me) or the businessman. There are facilities for a spa or a massage. Wish we'd had time for the latter. There's an outdoor cafe which with the weather didn't permit most of the time, although some guests did sit out there. The food was excellent both in the Bistro 51 where we enjoyed breakfast, the Hamptons Bar where we enjoyed dinner, or room service which we also needed after some of our days. My only comment on the food is that it's a bit a pricey, but considering the quality of our stay, not outrageous. Although we ate out especially for lunch, most of the time the food wasn't up St. James quality. I did have some laundry done; wish I'd understood what he meant when he said 9 pounds. I took it to mean per load. He meant per piece. It was washed and pressed and returned to our closet wrapped in plastic. I prompted spilt chocolate on the first top I wore! I choose my hotels in London based on the sights I plan to see. St. James Court is ideally situated south of St. James Park where you can view the Changing of the Guard, an easy walk. Buckingham Palace and the Mews are about a block away. Westminster Cathedral is a few blocks away to your right as you come out of the hotel and right. Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament are several blocks to your left on Victoria Road as you come out of the hotel on your right. There are a number a shops on Victoria Road to the right and left from Buckingham Gate. Victoria Bus Coach and Train Station are in walking; I know I've done it. This is the fourth hotel I've stayed at I've stayed at in London and the best so far,

Room Tip: There was a LOT of construction in London in the summer of 2014 so be prepared. Some of it won'...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
Dear RedFox_12,

Thank you for the review following your week long stay with us. We were delighted to read that you overall enjoyed your stay and found the service, comfort and location of the hotel to be very much to your liking. We hope that on the back of this great stay that we will be your hotel of choice on future trips to London. I am sorry for any confusion regarding the laundry costs and I will ensure that this is shared with the team to make sure that the instructions that they provide are clear and are understood.

Thank you for the review, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

I am a huge fan of Taj hotels. However, this is one of the worst hotels in which I have stayed...which is a strong comment considering a travel more than 100,000 miles a year.

We checked in at the designated check in time of 2p. We waited over two hours for our room by hearing "It will only be 30 minutes" 4 different times. We escalated to the hotel manager who assured us he would have our room ready in "less than 30 mins". This turned into 45 minutes. Keep in mind we were paying for their largest suite at over 400GBP a night and this was the service we received.

I had read on TripAdvisor to stay on a high level floor to avoid noise. We were located in a large, master suite on the 6th floor. The suite was large but in poor condition (marks all over walls, dirty bathroom, stains in carpet, old furniture, and awful bed linens). Within 1 minute of being in the suite, the room started shaking and a loud roaring was heard. It was the Underground (train). We thought maybe we would get used to it. After 10 minutes of shaking and roaring, we knew we would never be able to relax or sleep in this room. The train runs almost 24 hours.

We called downstairs and asked if there were any other quieter rooms. We were told this was their best room. I noted the loud Underground noise and they said they were UNAWARE OF ANY NOISE COMPLAINTS FOR THIS ROOM. Why lie? This only made me more upset.

I then spent time looking for another hotel close-by. We moved to another hotel. Of course we spent 2 hours waiting for the room, 45 minutes to find another hotel, and then 1 hour relocating. The afternoon was lost.

I CANNOT STATE STRONGLY ENOUGH THAT THIS HOTEL IS LOUD. Very loud noise from the train that runs right below the hotel. On top of the terrible noise, the hotel service was indifferent, uncaring, and what I would expect from a 1 star hotel. Keep in mind we were paying 400GBP a night.

Please enjoy your trip to London by staying at another hotel.

Room Tip: Which room is best? NONE - please try another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kim P
Dear Kim P,

Thank you for the review. I would like to start by apologising to you for the disappointing stay experience and the fact that you felt that you were unable to stay in the hotel owing to the noise that was generated in your room from the London Underground.

I have written to you separately following this review and I hope that this has been received. I recognise and appreciate that some of our rooms do get impacted from the London Underground but in general we do not have many issues with the rooms on the higher floors and this is limited to a particular part of the hotel. I acknowledge that there is some sound in the hotel and we are trying all we can to address this problem with London Underground directly and they hope to do some corrective engineering work in the next month to reduce the noise significantly.

Thank you again for the review and apologies again for the disappointing experience.

Nottingham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stayed at the St James Court Hotel last Saturday night, the hotel is very attractive with a lovely courtyard area where we sat and drank possibly the best coffee I've ever had. We arrived early and as the room wasn't ready we went out sightseeing. When we returned our luggage had already been delivered to our room, we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the courtyard. The room was average size for a London hotel with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was large, very stylish and clean. The staff are friendly and extremely courteous and are the hotels greatest asset. They all worked hard to ensure their guests were happy. We ate at Bistro 51 and Quilon during our time at the hotel, both were very good and the food was delicious. On Sunday morning when it became obvious that the queue for breakfast was too long, we along with others were moved to a makeshift area near the bar which was set up with all the breakfast foods we would have had in the restaurant, this was a nice move and helped clear the queue quickly, Overall this is a really nice hotel in a good position for the London Eye, Big Ben etc.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the courtyard
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Dear Mistybo,

Thank you for the review following your recent weekend stay with us. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience and found the facilities and the staff to be very much to your liking. We always endeavour to make our guests stays memorable for the right reasons and we hope that you will choose to return to us when you are next in London for a night away from home.

Thank you again for the review and feedback.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during a short working visit to London. The staff at this hotel are very welcoming and helpful, and the hotel itself is beautiful. I enjoyed the gym facilities, especially since it rained everyday! My only complaint, which is a big one, is that the rooms were not comfortable. The pillows were hard and cheap-feeling (like fake cotton filled) and very hot. We tried to turn down the AC and open the windows, but nothing helped. I haven't visited many hotels in London, but I wouldn't jump at the chance to go back here.

Dear Katie B,

Thank you for the review following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that as well as the poor weather that you experienced during this trip, you also had issues with the room and in particular the bedding. I hope to establish in what room you did stay and so we can review this room and address any issues in this room. We do have a pillow menu available in the rooms and I hope to establish if there is a particular pillow that you prefer and so I can add this to your personal profile so I hope that if you were to return to the hotel that we would be able to have this in situ for you already.

Thank you again for the review and I sincerely hope that we can welcome you back and so you can see the improvements that we are undertaking.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Walking distance from the finish which is what u need!! Hotel had been taken over by Taj after I'd booked it. Had few issues with room as it was a smoking and requested non. Waited an hour to get checked into a different room. Room was dated but ok. Request a refurb room when booking!! Service was ok and the long bar was awesome!!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear rebecca w,

Thank you for your review following your stay as you participated in the Lindon Marathon. Many congratulations for completing this challenge. I was somewhat disappointed to read that you did not entirely enjoy your stay as there were issues with your room allocation. I appreciate your stay was sometime ago, but we will look further in to this and look to avoid this reoccurring to any guest in the future.

Thank you for the review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.