“Central Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #162 of 1,089 Hotels in London
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
“Central Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I have just stayed 3 nights at this hotel. We were upgraded and offered other extra,s free of any further expense. I would say we enjoyed our stay, due to the room, which while quite small, was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Yes as others have said, the bathroom was small, but had all we needed and again was spotless. The air con wasn't as good as we would have liked, but I was quite easily able to sleep and also able to open the windows, air con in the best 5 star hotels can often be worse. Service at breakfast was excellent as was the food choice. Location is great for Buckingham Palace and nearby attractions. The cost for 3 nights was very reasonable for a Central London Hotel, (Well done The Taj) Overall a very nice experience, which I would definitely use again. Thank you for everything.

1 Thank BEEMA45
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear BEEMA45,

Thank you for the review and feedback for your recent 3 night stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and despite the air conditioning not working as efficiently as you would have liked, I am pleased that this did not detract from what was clearly a great stay experience.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back sooner rather than later to enjoy our Taj Hospitality. Thank you again for the review.

St James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Went up to London for the weekend and had problems finding a nice hotel at a sensible price we found the St James and booked a king executive room on the 7th floor. The room was big enough very clean and tidy. The bathroom was not large by any means but for a weekend it was fine. although one thing let it down and that was the shower modern equipment but very little water pressure you had to walk around to get wet that was a bit of a disappointment. but that was the only fault if you can call it that. The King size bed was so comfortable. its bigger than the normal king size i slept in before sleep quality was just right for us. The check in was smooth and very friendly all the staff were very helpful and wanted to take a few seconds for a chat. I drove up and with the road works all around i thought i would have trouble parking. The concierge was really helpful cot a couple of cars moved a bit and we parked right outside on the single yellow line all weekend. That was really helpful.
Breakfast was brilliant as much as you wanted. Eggs done to your liking, Fresh toast not from the usual stand and wait for half an hour machine. Ordered and in quick time on the table straight from the kitchen in a toast rack. No rush no fuss just nice well cooked food and served very quickly. Full marks for breakfast.
overall this was a really nice place to stay for the weekend. That wont break the bank. the hotel is very quite with none of the usual background noise. A great weekend and we will stay here again next time we go up to London.
This is a large hotel well worth a visit.

Room Tip: order a room with a king bed its huge not what we were expecting
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear dti-daveb,

Thank you for the review following your recent weekend stay with us. I am delighted to read from the review that you had a great stay and found the room comfortable, the breakfast to a high standard and most importantly the service provided by the team to be excellent. I am sorry for the shower issue that you have highlighted. We are addressing this as I write this response as we are trialing a new pump system that will enhance this experience.

Thank you again for the review and feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

This hotel would have received a top rating, however room allocation let it down. We specifically booked this hotel since it has a lovely courtyard (rare outdoor space I'm London), and requested a room overlooking it. Since we had booked some time in advance we were disappointed on arrival to find no rooms available overlooking the courtyard. The hotel did give us a complementary upgrade and the room was newly refurbished to a high quality. However, if you are going to compensate your guests, please don't put them in small rooms next to linen cupboards facing nothing more than other rooms and looking down on a flat roof.

Despite this disappointment this is a very good hotel with friendly staff. The lobby is a lovely well decorated area which gives a real luxury feel. The courtyard is a relaxing space where you can enjoy food and drink.

The hotel is ideally placed for Buckingham Palace (5 minutes walk), the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abby, Scotland Yard and ST James's Park tube station (2 minutes walk). There are plenty of local restaurants, a shopping area and a couple of theatres close by. So really an ideal base for exploring London.

Breakfast was fairly average, and food and drink are the usual high hotel prices. However, despite a few drawbacks would recommend a stay, and we will be visiting again soon.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Puss100
Dear Puss100,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We were also disappointed to read of your slight disappointment for this stay as we were unable to allocate a room with a courtyard view and whilst we were able to upgrade you, the room allocated could have been located better. I hope to establish where you stayed and try to ensure a "room with a view" for your next stay with us.

Thank you again for the review and feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

CharlieCapp
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the St James hotel for only one night and on arrival we both commented on how nice the lobby was set up and decorated. We checked in and when we got to our room we were truly disappointed. It looked to me as if the room should have been remodeled many years ago. The toilet seat had been replaced with a seat that didn't fit as it was way too small, and when you sat down, the seat shifted. Navigation through the hallways was also a challenge.
On the bright side we did have a meal in our room and it was very tasty. My wife was also able to make a pot of teat in he provided tea pot. The service by the doorman was excellent and my bags were handled carefully and promptly. The hotel is also located close to Buckingham Palace and is only a five minute walk.

Room Tip: I had no choice as to what room I received. I asked for something with a view, but was told that no...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear CharlieCapp,

Thank you for the review following your one night stay with us recently. Whilst I was pleased to read that you enjoyed some of your stay, I was disappointed to read the feedback regarding your room. I hope to establish which room you stayed in and so I can do a complete review of the room and see what improvements can be made prior to the room undergoing full refurbishment.

Thank you again for the review and I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back and so you can see the changes and improvements that have been undertaken.

Harrogate
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed in one of the refurbished rooms. It was lovely but if you have mobility problems I think the gap between the bottom of the bed and the chest with the television on it would be a problem. The bed was comfortable and huge but maybe wrong for the room? Location was amazing.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear DrB0z,

Thank you for the review for your recent stay with your daughter. We are delighted to read that you were generally happy with the stay at the hotel, but found the hotel bedroom a little tight between the bed and the drawer set in the room. I hope to establish where you stayed in the hotel to review the set up and correct if possible / required.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Lovely hotel - polite staff - nice room. We were staying at the hotel to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. This was acknowledged at reception by the very polite receptionist but that was it. There was no acknowledgement in the room, not even a bottle of wine or a bowl of fruit. We were welcomed with 3 oranges on a plate and a standard letter about the hotel from the manager. Disappointed to think that a small gesture of congratulations was not in place, but then again it's such a big hotel we were just another booking.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Low10,

Thank you for the review following your stay to celebrate your 25th Wedding Anniversary. I was disappointed to read that you did not feel entirely recognised by the hotel for celebrating this anniversary and that you were expecting something more from the hotel. The hotel had given a complimentary upgrade for this stay to recognise the special stay and I am sorry that you did not feel that this was enough for you both.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to celebrate again soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

Had a two nights' stay here because of an Eid holiday London treat for my mother who truly liked the idea of a classic historic British hotel combined with a touch of Indian 'desiness'.

We had originally planned just to take my seven months old baby along and I had booked a 35 square meter double room with a baby's cot. A couple of days before our trip we decided to take my daughter (age 6) with us as well.

Upon arrival we were met by a sort of young up and coming front desk guy who for a while kept on insisting that this room was only booked for three people and was not suitable for four people. I pointed out that my baby of 7 months was not "people" but a baby in a cot. And my 6 year old daughter would easily fit in between my mom and me in a king bed as is common practice around major international hotel chains (kids stay free in existing bedding).

He kept arguing that this could not be done. I asked why. He said due to 'health reasons'. Well I thought for myself as a doctor (I am a GP with two years of previous postgrad clinical microbiology experience) that I would be willing to take that risk of staying in a 35 sqm room for two nights with my mom, a little child, and a baby.

At this point the tone was getting a little unfriendly as well. I argued that this was really the first time I had ever experienced such claims that a room of that particular size (35 sqm) could not have two adults, a baby and a small kid. After years of traveling and hotel experience with kids (just thinking of our recent trip to China in May where my husband and I stayed at Raffles, Sofitel, and the Westin with four small kids in rooms just slightly larger and were indeed very comfortable with a large twin bedded room and two cots).

I told the guy 'that we were world class travelers with quite some experience'. He replied 'I am sure you are but this is how we do it here'. (Did I detect a slight of mocking tone there?).

Finally I said 'My husband is an Innercircle member and we have previously stayed at several Taj properties before. Really we have never experienced something like this before.' (was this person trying to sell us an upgrade?)

Instantly everything was resolved. The guy didn't say a word. Just told me to wait in the lobby because the room would be ready for check in at 2 pm exactly.

The time was by then 1.30 pm. We were tired and rather put off because of this unexpected not welcoming behavior. Truly I was missing the always friendly staff from Taj Palace Dubai who knew us by names after so many stays there.

The baby was crying by now. Needed a change, a feed and a good nap. Finally a Mr. Naveen Sikka (I think his name was) took pity on us and a made a few phone calls and our room was ready instantly. After being welcomed in such an odd way I could not thank Mr. Sikka enough for restoring my faith in the wellknown Taj hospitality again. I really think that these youngsters at the front desk could learn a few things from the more senior members of the staff.

Breakfast staff also very lovely. The girls serving could just not do enough for us and we were asked several times if we needed anything. That was nice. Concierge and bellboy were also extremely helpful.

Rest of the stay was comfortable and we were well taken care of. However, my advice for the management is to emphasize to their front desk staff the importance of giving the first impression of the hotel and a bad reception can overshadow the whole stay for a guest. Luckily we managed to differentiate between one ill mannered person and the rest of the lovely staff.

For December we are planning our first Morocco trip and looking forward to try out the Taj hotel in Marrakech.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank saf_2m
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear saf_2m,

Thank you for your review and sharing your recent experience. Whilst I was delighted that you enjoyed a majority of your stay, I was very disappointed to read of the issue and service that you encountered at your arrival to the hotel. This will be addressed and I hope to establish who initially dealt with you on your arrival.

Thank you for the review and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again and so you can see the improvements that have been undertaken.