“Even better than before - almost perfect.”

St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel
Ranked #172 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Even better than before - almost perfect.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel a number of times previously, in its former guise as the Crowne Plaza St James', but this was our first visit since it has become a member of the Taj Group - as we were down in London for a friend's birthday.

The location is, of course, excellent. A gentle 2 minute stroll from Buck House in one direction and Westminster Abbey 5 minutes the other direction, its quiet at night, but only 10 minutes walk from the pubs and bars of Victoria.

We were lucky to be upgraded to one of the newly refurbished Executive Rooms on the 5th floor, and it was spacious with chairs, a sofa, an office console area with all data and VGA connection points and a large King Size bed. Both the "suite" and the bathroom were spotless.

This hotel, and its rooms, have everything a luxury hotel requires but there were a couple of minor niggles. Firstly, check-in was slow. I must point out that it didn't appear to be the fault of any individual in particular as the girl that checked us in was very courteous. I think it was a question of timing - too many people checking in at once, with too few staff on reception to cope. We were told our room was not quire ready, but that we would be contacted very shortly when it was, so we decided to have a coffee in the lobby. An hour later, and after queuing at reception for 20 minutes, I asked the receptionist if our room was ready which it was. Not a major gripe, but if you are told you would be contacted as soon as your room is ready, this didn't happen. But then again, the reception staff were flat out.

Whilst waiting to check in, my second minor gripe surfaced. The "free WiFi" (which all hotels with 3 or more staff should provide these days) is insufferably slow. I store my books and music in the cloud, and subscribe to the Times' electronic (ipad and tablet) editions. I could not download anything, not even open a regular, attachment-free email on the free Wifi. My wife's iPhone actually crashed completely when attempting to browse! There is a high speed WiFi which the hotel also offers, but this is £10 per day. In my opinion, the high speed WiFi should be included in the price of the room.

Also, I'm glad we didn't have breakfast at the hotel as there appeared to be a long queue for service in the morning too. We ate breakfast at one of the local bistros nearby which was more than adequate.

I hope that these two issues are resolved, as this hotel is totally fabulous in every other way. It's good to see the refurbishments have overhauled areas of the hotel that had become a little tired over time. The Hampton's bar is perfect for a late evening, post-meal, drink and the service and ambience is great.

Nice little touches - we came back after dining out at the brilliant Quilon to find our ice bucket filled and a weather forecast card on the pillow. No turn down service, but then I find this a little intrusive as a rule anyway, so no complaints from me about this.

We love this hotel, and it is easily our first choice hotel in London. Hopefully the WiFi and the check-in issues will be resolved in the near future.

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms are fabulous. Stayed overlooking the courtyard previously, but if you're not...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ted1974
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear ted1974,

Thank you for the review. We are delighted that we continue to be your hotel of choice and you like the changes that have been made. Clearly 2 areas for improvement and ones we can do relatively easily and I assure you these will be addressed. I am pleased you enjoyed your time in Hamptons bar and liked the little touches when going into the room to 'turndown' in the evening.

Thank you again for your review, we look forward to your return stay soon. Thank you again for the feedback and review.

St James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Europa
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel formerly Crowne Plaza St James. It´s a perfect hotel - so it was a perfect stay! Excellent service, beautiful rooms, perfect location! We will choose this hotel again - that´s for sure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reisende U,

Thank you for the excellent review following your excellent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and look forward to your return stay.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay in this beautiful hotel. My daughter and I were impressed from the minute we arrived until we reluctantly departed! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff from doormen, concierge, reception, in room dining staff (yes - we used this service a few times!)
Hotel location is only 5 minute walk from St James tube station. 5 minute walk to Buckingham Palace. A quiet area at night but a few pubs dotted around.
Our classic twin room was on the 5th floor and was a really good size. Decor was in keeping with the elegant style of the hotel. Noticed a few "scuff" marks here and there and some paintwork needing refreshed but these are minor details and I'm sure they will be addressed by the new owners, Taj hotels.
Overall a lovely experience and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MTTGlasgow_Scotland
Dear MTTGlasgow_Scotland,

Thank you for the review following your 3 night stay with your daughter. The cream and I are delighted that you had a great stay and found all aspects of your stay enjoyable. I am particularly pleased you enjoyed In Room Dining. The team and kitchen do a great job and I am pleased you used it more than once.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you for the review.

gold Coast
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel formerly Crowne Plaza St James for 11 nights to celebrate my daughters and my birthdays in London. After a long 27 hour flight from Australia we were warmly welcomed bythe doorman. Check in was quick and efficient. We had an executive twin room on the 3rd floor as we are IHG Gold Priority club members. A very nice spacious refurbished room with a large modern ensure. We loved the robes, chocolates & complimentary bottled water every day. Breakfast was delicious with great staff. The breakfast manager, Frederic I think is professional yet friendly, offering us tips of what to see each day. The concierge was wonderful in advising of chemist close by when my daughter fell ill and even stopped me to ask how she was the next day. We did have a small issue of smelling cigarette smoke in our hallway for 3 days. We mentioned it to housekeeping & reception but it took 3 days to be resolved. All in all we loved our stay and the convenience of St James tube station 5 minutes walk away and we will definitely return in the future.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank tal63goldCoast
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear tal63goldCoast,

Thank you for your review for your extended stay with us whilst celebrating both of your birthdays. We are delighted to read that you were overall happy with the stay and especially the service levels provided by the team. I am sorry to learn of the issue regarding the smell of smoke but pleased this was eventually resolved. I also hope that the fact that your daughter feeling unwell did not have a negative impact on your entire stay in London.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you both back again soon.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Stayed here a year ago and grabbed the opportunity to return for a meeting this year. The hotel is simply stunning, enhanced by the friendly and helpful team - I can't imagine anything being too much trouble for them. Check in quick and professional. Had a room on the 5th floor - lovely sized room and bathroom, both really clean and well stocked. The location of the hotel is great - just a few minutes walk from the tube and a nice leisurely walk into the city centre via Buckingham Palace and the Mall - who could ask for more? Walked back in the evening too so no need to worry if you don't like the tube - it doesn't seem to ever get quiet on the Mall! Breakfast next morning was a mix of continental and cooked. Really like the attentive service - plates are removed quickly when finished with and you hardly notice them being taken! This hotel will always be my first choice when visiting London.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JandK2
Dear JandK2,

Thank you for the review following your recent return stay. We are pleased that the hotel continues to provide you with all service and facilities you require to ensure and enjoyable stay. We hope that we can welcome you back later in 2014 or beyond.

US
Reviewed January 31, 2014

After having a disastrous experience renting a flat for a two-week stay in London whilst taking a course, I came, finally to the St James/Taj hotel. Perfectly located a block from Buckingham Palace and within easy walking distance of several tube stops and beautiful parks, it was an oasis of calm, wonderful room and very friendly and helpful staff. I will definitely come again. Great value also, considering the price of London hotels.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank morey922
Dear morey922,

Thank you for the review, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay following a disappointing stay in a rented flat. I am pleased in particular that you enjoyed the service provided by the team. We hope to welcome you back again soon when visiting London on business or pleasure.

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I was looking for a lovely hotel in a great location and booked 3 rooms with Crowne Plaza for a girls weekend away. Just before we travelled I discovered the hotel was no longer part of the IHC group so I was a bit apprehensive , no need... From the moment we arrived late in the evening we knew we'd made a great choice. The hotel is stunning inside and out. Reception staff were welcoming and very efficient . We had 3 beautiful rooms , each one different. The location is perfect , 5 minutes walk to St James underground or Buckingham Palace. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a special hotel in a great city. I will definitely return as we didn't have time to use all the facilities the hotel had to offer .

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Giraffe1965
Dear Giraffe1965,

Thank you for you review for your stay with us. We are pleased to read that you were delighted with your choice of hotel from the location, decor and rooms available for you. I am pleased that you found the reception team helpful and friendly. We hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back in 2014 and sample more of what the hotel has to offer.

Thank you again for the review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.