“Nice surprise”

Ranked #374 of 1,067 Hotels in London
bari
“Nice surprise”
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I spent five day on this hotel and considering the London standards and the relatively low rate they asked me I was very worried about it but it turned out to be a nice surprise. The room was very small and so was the ensuite facility but everything was clean and the room was serviced every day. Breakfast was in a nice room painted in pastel colours and there was plenty of food each morning. The staff was very polite and helpful. In addition the hotel is just a few steps away one of the King's Cross station entrances from which you can go everywhere you like in London. So if you are looking for a cheap but nice accommodation in a strategic location and you are not the Ritz type I definitively recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
dublin
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I stayed at this hotel recently, the worst in my world travels, first - the room was not serviced, I mean the beds were not dressed, the towels were not changed or the bin emptied. There were no handtowels,or bath mat, no shampoo, soaps that had been used by others, and a safe that did not work, but worst of all no telephone, so I had to go all the way down the stairs to complain. There was no manager present. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I must say that the staff at breakfast were really nice and friendly, and the breakfast was adequate for me but no choice.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank grannymo
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed here for 5 nights while on a course in London. The hotel was booked by my company and I wasn't expecting much as:

1. They are a bit stingy
2. The hotel is in Kings Cross

The hotel is about 200m from the train station, i'll let you decide if thats a good thing, but apparently KX is on the way up, and is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, the outside of the hotel is well presented and the front desk staff were very helpful.

I was in a twin with a double bed and a single bed, a decent sized bathroom with a bath and shower over. The room was cleaned every morning and the towels replaced. There was a safe in the room along with a wardrobe. There is free wifi which was a life saver!

One thing to note is that other than soap there was no shampoo or shower gel etc (I travel prepared so was ok)

From what I can work out the rooms are all being done up as there were some matresses and bed frames around. My room is one to still be done, it looked a bit tired, but was clean, which was the main thing!

The lounge was nice, tastefully decorated, leading out to a well kept terrace area and there is a pc there for those without laptops.

Breakfast is between 7-9 and is buffet style with mountains of toast, bacon, sausages as well as poached eggs, beans and tomatoes. There was some cerial as well and juice, tea and coffee. The room where breakfast is served is really nice and bright and with plenty of room.

Overall I was pretty impressed with my stop here, it would have been nice to be in one of the newer rooms, but I imagine in a year or so once everything is finished it will be a really good hotel.
The owner is really trying to make an effort with the hotel, and being in Kings Cross there is every type of food available close by.

• Liked — It was a lot better than I thought it would be, free wifi and a great breakfast were a bonus!
  • Disliked — My room wasn't one of the renvated ones
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jase_Cambs