“worst hotel”
Review of The California

The California
Ranked #407 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I stayed at this hotel recently, the worst in my world travels, first - the room was not serviced, I mean the beds were not dressed, the towels were not changed or the bin emptied. There were no handtowels,or bath mat, no shampoo, soaps that had been used by others, and a safe that did not work, but worst of all no telephone, so I had to go all the way down the stairs to complain. There was no manager present. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I must say that the staff at breakfast were really nice and friendly, and the breakfast was adequate for me but no choice.

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank grannymo

Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed here for 5 nights while on a course in London. The hotel was booked by my company and I wasn't expecting much as:

1. They are a bit stingy
2. The hotel is in Kings Cross

The hotel is about 200m from the train station, i'll let you decide if thats a good thing, but apparently KX is on the way up, and is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, the outside of the hotel is well presented and the front desk staff were very helpful.

I was in a twin with a double bed and a single bed, a decent sized bathroom with a bath and shower over. The room was cleaned every morning and the towels replaced. There was a safe in the room along with a wardrobe. There is free wifi which was a life saver!

One thing to note is that other than soap there was no shampoo or shower gel etc (I travel prepared so was ok)

From what I can work out the rooms are all being done up as there were some matresses and bed frames around. My room is one to still be done, it looked a bit tired, but was clean, which was the main thing!

The lounge was nice, tastefully decorated, leading out to a well kept terrace area and there is a pc there for those without laptops.

Breakfast is between 7-9 and is buffet style with mountains of toast, bacon, sausages as well as poached eggs, beans and tomatoes. There was some cerial as well and juice, tea and coffee. The room where breakfast is served is really nice and bright and with plenty of room.

Overall I was pretty impressed with my stop here, it would have been nice to be in one of the newer rooms, but I imagine in a year or so once everything is finished it will be a really good hotel.
The owner is really trying to make an effort with the hotel, and being in Kings Cross there is every type of food available close by.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business