“terrible experience”

Ranked #367 of 1,090 Hotels in London
midlands
“terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

we had a tiny room at the top of the hotel, no lift and narrow stairs, difficult getting case to room. mattress was ripped and dirty and extremely uncomfortable. complained this was removed. no soap in toilet. wardrobe doors could not be opened fully due to doors opening on to bed. will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lindaMidlands

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the California - brill find for a budget hotel in central London: friendly,helpful staff, a reasonable residents lounge area with a little outside patio adjacent to the lounge - perfect for quiet moments in which to savour the sun - if you are lucky ! I booked a single room which was a very reasonable size (in fact it was a twin) I had a full bathroom with both bath and shower and plenty of CLEAN white towels. I also had a little tray with a kettle, tea, coffee etc in my room..a small portable TV was also in the room (though I never watched it - so unsure about quality of reception) The breakfast was well cooked and adequate: self service: bacon,sausage,beans, eggs, toast,cereal and juices together with hot drinks were available......Lets get real here DO NOT expect 5 * luxury this is a budget hotel but as I said an absolute gem of a find ...

Footnote: Maybe not suitable for people with young children or anybody with mobility problems as there is no lift, so I had to struggle up four floors of steepish, narrow stairs with my luggage - but this did concern me at all and I would definately book again. I believe there are some not so nice rooms down in the basement but if you end up with one of these maybe it is your own fault..when I made my booking I requested a clean and quiet room and that is exactly what I got ...Fab !!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Devon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

Stayed for one night. Booked a twin room to be used as a single.
The hotel was clean and check in was fast and easy.
The room was a good size with the usual amenitites.
The room I got was in the basement, and u can hear the underground trains until about 12.
The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean.
The heating worked and there was loads of coffee and tea.
The toilet and bathroom was seperate, which is great if two of u were using the room.
The bathroom had a powerful shower but it was a bit dark.
The TV worked and reception was good.
Breakfast was buffet style and full english. Tasted good and food was plentiful. I wish there was fruit however. But prompt service.
This hotel has no WIFI.

Overall I had a good night sleep not too noisy.
But u can't beat the location, loads of eating places and the tube is a stone throw away.

So I last stayed in this hotel 3 yrs ago, good to see that it hasn't deteriorated.
But if I stay here again I would ask for a room thats not underground.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Spokane Wa USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

No hot water six of the seven mornings. Room and bathroom were not very clean. They never had more than a surface cleaning. The wife was very uncomfortable. The management thought fixing the problem was to clean the shower head. I explained to the repairman, as a retired commercial building contractor, the problem was the guest ratio to water pressure and heating ability ratio was inadequate to keep heating water and pressure. They made excuses when I asked for some money off that the manager was not coming in that day, her normal work day. Our wives had to wait till 9Am to take showers, which was when the water heated up and the pressure came back, thus missing breakfast. Us guys will go unrepresentable but few ladies will. The way they represent themselves as a hidden treasure at Kings Cross is not quite accurate. I am president of Christin Fellowship Churches Inc. and we went there with the intention of finding a place to send ten ministry couples every six months for sabbaticals. I even told the manager this and what they gave us was the best they can do? I think the basic that should be expected isn't new but clean rooms, sheets, and hot showers. I know London is an expensive city and rooms are small but as a person that travels two weeks of the month for the corporation in this capacity I can say with some experience this is a one star hotel with a three star breakfast. This is the truth and I warn travelers. Yes you get what you pay for but this is not what we thought we were paying for or represented as. This is not a place for reconnection and intimacy between couples. I didn't expect an five, four or three star hotel but clean and hot water isn't too much to ask. I was just going to let it go but it wouldn't be right. I think the management should contact me and make some kind of amends for other travelers and restitution. This is not a Mom and Pop business. This is owned by the Moreno four star hotel just around the corner. These are professionals and we should be able to expect more from them. I don't mean to be harsh I just think there should be a change.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank PastorMark
yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

Booked a long weekend here with my partner after having being well looked after on numerous occasions at the California's sister hotel, the Montana Excel.

What a disappointment!

The rooms were basic with an en-suite, as expected. However, our rooms were not cleaned at all during our stay other than the bed linen being subtly re-arranged and the shower head was appallingly filthy. Refreshment sundries were not replenished and the lack of a bath mat meant there were quite a few close calls getting out of the shower.
The temperamental heating, poor TV reception, non-functioning clock radio and the staff's disbelief at us asking for an ironing board (which never materialised) only further added to our irritation.

Breakfast fayre was standard but in three days we were only asked if we wanted drinks on one occasion- the rest of the time we had to attempt to find a member of staff, which was no mean feat.

To top it off the staff were either rude or mute at best, we were charged an extra 15GBP on top of the price quoted at booking which they would not back down on and we didn't even get a thank you or goodbye at any point during our stay!

So, to sum up: over-priced, scabby rooms in a tired hotel that's seen better days and where the staff do not appear to understand the concept of good customer service. The only good thing about the place is the proximity to the Tube stop. Stay at the Montana Excel around the corner or the Premier Inn a little further up from King's Cross station.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mia_and_pup
Derby, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2009

I stayed at the California Hotel with my mother and teenage children, it was cheap, and much better value than a room at a Travelodge or similar as it included breakfast. The room was basic but clean and comfortable enough for a few nights. My mother is in her late sixties, and she found it comfortable enough.

• Liked — Excellent location, cheap
  • Disliked — A bit cold.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank katimushu
Wirral
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2009

Stayed here last month as most people have said the location is ideal. On arriving it was pleasant enough then I was shown to my room which was down in the cellar where the cleaners kept things. Though the bedroom was ok double bed and a single bed tv and en suite bathroom which was freezing.

The real downside was where the room was situated I hardly slept a wink through the noise and banging all night and come breakfast I thought that was included in the price was going to be charged £8 so declined.

On the whole it is pretty cheap price for london but I doubt I'd stay there again

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — the place
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Timeless