“Don't stay here if you want to sleep.”
Review of The California

The California
Ranked #404 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Don't stay here if you plan on sleeping - it is a complete waste of money - sit the night out at St Pancras station (very conveniently over the road) instead - it would be quieter. The interior insulation and noise management is virutally non-existent - all night long the thumping of people and suitcases up the stairs (very narrow), clacking and thudding of fire-exit and bedroom doors (no springs on door and made of light hollow fabric). the clicking of heels on the wooden bedroom floors below, the whooshing and gurgling of the ancient plumbing systems, and finally, and most annoying of all, loud conversations in the corridors outside and knocking on doors until at least four in the morning. There was NO SIGN AT WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE to remind other clients to keep the noise levels down and to respect those who were sleeping (or at least trying to). Breakfast very greasy 'English' style, toast like cardboard, and no sign of fresh fruit - coffee good. Otherwise, room (very small) fine, good pillows and nice bathroom. But 'not fit for purpose' if you plan to sleep....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BibiSussex
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you did not get a good night sleep.
The California is an old Georgian building consisting of previous town houses and now forming our charming boutique hotel. I apologise if you felt uncomfortable due other guests in the property, but please let me assure you that all our rooms are "fit for purpose" and are more comfortable and welcoming than spending a night inside St. Pancras station. Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and would have loved to be given the opportunity to rectify the problems during your stay.
Our breakfast is a free add on to the room and we are constantly looking into improving our services and range of products.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We needed a place to stay for one night which was close to Kings Cross Station. I'd stayed in a number of hotels in the area but decided to shop around first. This place looked and felt good and best of all, in addition to the free internet, there was a luggage-minding room which we could use. On the downside, I hadn't checked the disabled access and it was only by the time we'd checked in that we discovered there was no lift, and we were on the second floor. The floors were uncarpeted which meant that every step was heard from the room above. Last breakfast orders were a bit early for a weekend. I would go again but my wife wouldn't, so this is my personal rating.

Room Tip: Try and get a top floor room if you're good with stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Due to the age of the building we are unfortunately unable to offer accessible room which also includes a lift in the building. If you do decide to stay again, please mention this when making your booking and we are more than happy to allocate you to a Ground floor room which does not require you climb stairs.
We are currently working on our breakfast options which also includes the opening times.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had a most enjoyable night stay here teh reception staff were friendly I had a large room good size bathroom very clean. Breakfast was good in the large breakfast room the waiting staff were efficent and friendly. The hotel also had a left luggage facility. Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your fantastic comments.
I hope to welcome you again soon here at The California and you will be able to spend another enjoyable night at our hotel.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here as Daughter's had a hospital appointment close by, room 010 (twin room & 04 family room) Quick easy check in, lovely rooms , size of rooms was adequate lovely comfy beds, great shower perfect after 6hours of travelling. Breakfast was lovely, relaxed and plenty. could not fault this. Will definetly be booking again for our next visits think we will become regulars at the amount of appointments we have. Plenty of restaurants fast foods to choose from close by. Many thanks for the warm welcome see you soon

Room Tip: watch your head if in basement rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KMarie718

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm very glad to hear that you had a great time at The California. As you mentioned, we also hope to see you again.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed here the other night, the single rooms are tiny, and a very narrow bed, but they are comfortable. My room had a great power shower in a wet room, got a little slippery underfoot though. The main fault was the fact that the room got very hot, despite a cold January night but if I opened the window it was so noisy, so couldn't sleep. My friends room was the same......we didn't make breakfast so can't comment on that. Convenient for station though and some nice places to eat and drink nearby.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your comments.
I apologise if the room was too warm. I will be looking into this issue.
As we are based closely to Kings Cross & St. Pancras Stations as well as Euston Road, we have a very convenient location but this also means that we are in a busy location in Central London. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused but hope that I will be able to welcome you again here at The California London.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Great room as we were a party of 4 ladies on a 40th birthday knees up. Had room 010 which accommodates 6 people. Very clean, beds comfortable. Receptionist (originally from Lichfield) was exceptionally helpful and made us feel so welcome. 1 tube stop from Euston, and hotel is directly opposite kings Cross station. Breakfast is buffet style and provided yoghurt, cereal or full English. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The California and had an amazing birthday party.
I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My self and 3 friends went to London for 2 nights and we stayed at the Calafornia it was in a good place as we arrived at Kings cross station and the hotel is just across the road. Good friendly staff welcomed us and the room although down a very narrow staircase with no banister the room 012 was very good for 3 friends it had 3 single beds and a good sized bathroom with bath shower and plenty of Hot water tea and coffee making facilities very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate to set you up for a day of sightseeing always plenty of food staff warm and friendly. I would recommend this hotel as it was good value for money. Good public transport links. I left my phone and bag in a taxi and the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and I got it returned by a lovely black cab driver (very lucky)

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are down a very narrow staircase so ask where room is
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback and I'm happy to hear you have enjoyed your quick break in London. I'm glad my team here at The California could make your stay memorable and we would love to welcome you again next you visit London.