“Good solid performance”

and up
Matilda Theater Show in London
Ranked #9 of 362 Concerts & Shows in London
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Having been to a few plays/musicals over the past 12 months I would say that this was a good play but if you are short on time or money there are better options

Write a ReviewReviews (4,378)

Reviewed May 13, 2014

If you have read the book Matilda by Roald Dahl or seen the movie with Danny Devito and Pam Ferris, do yourself a favour and avoid this show like the plague.
Unless of course you are quite happy to sit through over two hours of bumtious and precocious kids flinging themselves round the stage with flashing lights and loud music. It looked more like a junior school disco than a stage production with adults dressed as kids and kids acting like adults.
Alex Gaumond as Miss Trunchbull, was quite good for the first 20 minutes or so and then he forgot he was playing a female part and became just a guy in skirt shouting at kids. Don't get me started on what's wrong with that.
This show lacks the magic of the film, quite literally. The only piece of magic we see performed by Matilda is her causing a cup to fall over and the writing on the black board. Was I impressed, no I wasn't. I have seen magic on stage, during a production of Scrooge the musical, I have seen a person on stage walk through a mirror. Beat that if you can.
I see no reason why a book for children had to be "bumped up" to an adult level, which it fails to do miserably, put on a West End stage and flogged like a dead horse.

4  Thank Craig31HV
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Didn't know the story going in. Was totally entertained and amused. Couldn't believe how talented the kids were.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Booked last minute and so glad we did. My 12 year old daughter wanted to see this and to be honest, initially I wasn't that keen. I'm so glad she persuaded me though. It was so funny, the cast were amazing and the theatre was lovely. If you get the chance, go and see Matilda.
My daughter still raves about it!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Amazing production, choreography, and direction and Tim Minchins word play is infectious.
Great young cast.
Along with Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Roald Dahl is taking over the west end and if these two are anything to go by, Long may it continue!!!!