“Fun night out, but it's nothing on Phantom or Les Mis...”

Matilda the Musical
Book In Advance
More Info
$92.32*
and up
Matilda Theater Show in London
Ranked #25 of 379 Concerts & Shows in London
Reviewed February 9, 2013

It is a fun night out, but don't go expecting a musical experience like Phantom or Les Mis. Depending on which lead kid you get (don't get me wrong they are amazing) but the words are sometimes difficult to understand so you don't get all the one-liners in the music. For the price, i think it's overrated.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,469)
All reviews
in 78 reviews
"dress circle"
in 61 reviews

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Good show overall, but sometimes difficult to understand what was being sung. The only stand out song for us was "when you grow up". The others were easily forgotten. Good production and enjoyable for families. We went to the Wednesday matinee and it was full of children on school trips. So it maybe best to avoid this performance for those that don't like kids messing around or getting bored as the show runs for over 2.5hrs. Most children were very well behaved and not a problem. One poor girl had a terrible cold and sniffed throughout the whole performance.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have long been a Roald Dahl fan but the reviews of Matilda have been so good for so long that I thought I was building myself up for a disappointment.

I wasn't.

Matilda is an incredible stage production, slick, catchy and well-produced (even if the mics could have been a bit louder at some points). David Leonard, playing Miss Trunchbull, was sublime: Witty, creepy, laugh-out-loud performance. Rudolpho was also a surprise favourite character for me, channeling a lot of the Noel Fieldings. The kids are staggeringly talented.

As for the music and lyrics - Minchin has excelled himself. Trying to think of an excuse to go back.

1  Thank lauralovesit
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I took my kids to see this back in November 2012. While the book and movie was one of my daughter's favourite, even my son who was not a fan really liked it. The acting was wonderful and the singing really enjoyable. So inspiring to see such talented children act!!
Overall a great family outing!

1  Thank Shawn K
See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I do wish they would stop milking things and leave originality to the creator. Here we have a dreary story of a poor child who has special gifts and seeks love and attention. Add to it a monster of a school head and you get the picture.

The story is great and even the expanse of the film with its effects is good but taking it to the small stage and making it a musical is such a far trip to take. The pretentious kids who are supposed to be the ones you fall in love with and want the best for are for me as hideous as the head.

Why do the kids from stage school get taught to project in such false tones and whiney voices - there are such a lot pushed forward by their parents to do this and boy does it make it difficult to sit through.,

The songs are not memorable and thankfully forgetable and I for one am glad about that.

If you like pretentious kids singing (sometimes way off key for my musical ears) in a longish musical with not a lot going for you then go to this. Do not read the book or watch the film first
as you will be spoilt by what it should be like!

Sorry it was not for me or my group - and judging by the reactions around me the groups of people around me too.,

4  Thank Nick D