“Very good place to recommend”
Review of Macdonald Hotel

Macdonald Hotel
Ranked #43 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The location of Macdonal Hotel is good. It just take a few minutes to Kings Cross station.

Though the hotel is not a new one but like other reviews said it is clean. The room is a little bit small but everything is ok. The most important to me is the shower works well.

The room rate includes full English breakfast. Breakfast is very nice and service is good.

Staff are friendly and helpful, especially Saviour.

In conclusion, the hotel is value for money.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Needed a one night stay somewhere close to St Pancras and quiet. This hotel was perfect. Its not brand new, but is clean and the staff were friendly. I was on my own and felt safe both walking to the hotel and once inside

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Macdonald Hotel was just the right choice for us for staying in London. Perfect position just couple hundreds meters from Kings Cross underground station. The room was very comfortable, even choosing the one without toilet facilities, was just fine to use the ones in the hallway. But I'd suggest others to get the room with toilet facilities, always better. Shower sometimes bothering with tough temperature regulation... It seems having it's own life trying to surprising burn your bottom :) but fine that too, studying it for a while at first. The staff is very kind and pleasant. The manager is a gentleman. Very kind personnel at the breakfast hall, good food and perfect service. All this at a very reasonable price, for London. Advised.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here at the Macdonald. I chose it due to it's good reviews and it was one of the cheapest hotels in London i could find that looked half decent. I booked through Hostel World and only paid a deposit online. When i arrived to check in the guy on reception assumed i wanted to pay at the end of my stay but i told him i wanted to pay now so that it was out of the way, he was happy to oblige so just ask if you want to do the same.

The location of the hotel is great. It's probably less than a 2 minute walk to Kings Cross/St Pancras tube station which is very handy. Just down the street theres a shop that seems to be open constantly so you can buy food/drink/souveneirs etc if you want, plus there's a McDonalds too which is good.

We had room 206 with 3 beds (2 singles and then another single higher up above the 2) and we found the room was more than big enough for us all. Theres a kettle and tea/coffee in the room and a tv with freeview. We picked a room with an en suite. Towels and soap are provided but not shampoo etc which was fine for us as we brought our own anyway. The room was really clean which was nice and usually my main concern.

The hotel is a little noisy at times mainly because of other guests moving around. I was kept awake at one point by the people in the room above us moving around on the creaky floors. You can also hear other guests opening/closing their doors, and coming up and down the stairs. This wasn't a biggie really though. I then borrowed some ear plugs from my friends and didn't hear another thing!

I found the pillows to be really flimsy and uncomfortable. We asked reception for some more though and they agreed and sent up some slightly better ones. The 2 pillows combined made it much more comfortable.
My matteress was well used though and the springs are very uncomfortable digging right into my ribs. I think it's from where people sit on there beds so much that the springs have just all come out of wack. I flipped my matteress myself and it was a bit better but not fully. I think if the hotel can replace their pillows and some of the matteresses then sleeping would be much easier to achieve.

Breakfast was good. As soon as you sit down the ladies come out and ask you if you would like an English breakfast and tea/coffee. They bring you toast, then your fry up. I wasn't keen on the sausauge but the rest was lovely. The service is very quick which is good. The only bad thing is they may need to look into getting a bigger breakfast area as there are only about 5 tables and some guests had to wait. We never had to wait though so we didn't care.

Reception give you your room key plus a key to the hotel so you can come and go at whatever times you like which is really good. They also held our bags for a few hours for us after check out which was muchly appreciated.

All in all, i would definately reccomend staying in this hotel! I would have no problems staying again one day.

Room Tip: Take some ear plugs just to be safe. Noise levels are not massive but if you're a light sleeper...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This guesthouse I would recomment for value & location, breakfast was lovely & good service. The staff were friendly & courteus, I would come back & stay there again.

Anne, Ireland

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in August at the beginning of my 5 week holiday with my friends in a triple room, one double and a bunk bed. That room was pretty good, the beds were very comfy, the only negative was that the shower had a mind of it's own and would invariably be boiling hot. Breakfasts were pretty good, but sometimes he the hotel was full you'd have to line up to sit down.

We stayed again at the end of our trip because we need happy with the price, location and overall stay. The beds in our second room were definitely not as comfy.

I think the hotel would benefit from a few new mattresses, New pillows and fixing the hot water systems.

Also, maybe he the turned the mattresses regularly they would last longer.

Apart from that, I'd stay again. The location to the kings cross station is unbeatable for the price. Also 24 hour reception.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for 5 days in September and my husband and I cannot say enough good things about Macdonald Hotel. It's literally a 2 minute walk from Kings Cross station and St Pancras station, yet quiet with a park across the street, very safe neighborhood. We took our first chance and booked a shared bathroom, and we were not at all disappointed.(They do have ensuite rooms if you prefer) The bathrooms and showers were sparkling clean and we never had to wait. The showers also worked well, plenty of power and hot water. The view of the park across the street was peaceful and we kept the window open at all times, nice September breeze always blowing with huge ancient trees just outside. There was also a fan in the room and anything we needed such as a hair dryer, etc, they had it all!
The staff is amazing. Saviour was always at the desk and was very friendly and attentive, even preparing ice for us! The ladies at breakfast were kind and helpful and always had a plate of piping hot food in front of us with eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, and toast with orange juice and tea/coffee within minutes of arriving in the room! You can also choose from muesli or corn flakes. Delicious and perfect for on the go!
Just 2 blocks, you'll find every type of restaurant imaginable. Indian takeaway, pubs galore, and even McDonalds if you just have to :)
The beds are very comfy with nice soft sheets and comforters. We slept in 2 twin beds pushed together and we couldn't tell at all.
We would recommend this hotel to everyone, singles, couples, families, they cater to all!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the park. Also, if you are in town on a Tuesday night, go to The Rocket p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple