“Great Stay”
Review of Macdonald Hotel

Macdonald Hotel
Ranked #45 of 579 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have been using Macdonald Hotel whenever in London for well over 20 years and I visit London practically every year. I would never contemplate to change over to another place. It is centrally located, so very close to the underground station. Its clean, its safe and the atmosphere very welcoming. The hosts are so very friendly and always ready to help. Highly recommended. I consider the hotel as my home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for just one night in a single room costing £40. For the price I was worried about what I might get but I shouldn't have worried. Two minutes walk from Kings Cross/St Pancras with the option of the Barclays bikes at the bottom of the road. Keys are given for the front door and your room door which helped when coming in a little late. The room was small but no where near too small. Coffee/tea in the room with a TV and a sink, the usual stuff. The shared showers and toilets weren't something to trouble me after having them in university. They were clean as can be. I stayed at the front and overlooked a very green square it had a basketball court in it but the noise was nothing troubling. I didn't take up the breakfast offer so can't comment about that. A BIG bonus is that the owner is willing to let guests leave their luggage in the office, this helped me very much as I checked out but still had the to kill before catching my train back. Saving myself almost 10 pounds was a great bonus.

I would recommend staying here to families and friends and look forward to staying again in the future should the opportunity present itself.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My brother and i had booked flights to London for the second week of the 2012 Olympic games and just needed somewhere as a base for the 6 days. Trawling through countless search engines and subsequent reviews we found this fantastic hotel. We were greeted and checked in by Paul, the manager/owner who was smiling and very pleasant. Our room was on the second floor and we didn't see a lift but we weren't overloaded with baggage so this was not an issue for us. Personally i thought the room was perfectly acceptable and even had a small flat screen tv and tea & coffee making facilities, plus a very use full fan which was used a lot as the temperature in the room was fairly hot, especially in the evening, but this was purely down to the hot August weather we were experiencing. The hotel gave free wifi useage which was great as we used it to try and get tickets to the Olympic events ! The room was cleaned brilliantly every day we were there. The only single constructive critisism i could say is that the shower temperature did vary a lot, but again for me, i didn't really find this a major issue, i just kept it at a cooler temp. We unfortunately only managed to sample the included breakfast once, as we were both too tired to get up early every day! The breakfast was excellent giving a choice of cooked english breakfast or a lighter option of cereal, toast etc served at your table by more friendly staff. To top it all off is the location, just 2 minutes walk to kings cross station with St Pancras Train Station across the road from kings Cross and euston Station just a further 5-10 minutes walk up the road ( which has an excellent Nandos restaurant !! )
All in all brilliant and i would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We had the option of booking either a twin room or a triple room, both of which were the same price...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Brilliant place for a cheap London over-nighter....dated decor but none the less well maintained and clean. We booked a twin room for the night as we were going to a gig at the Festival Hall and it was plenty big enough and had everything we needed....working tv,clean beds,sink,kettle etc.Even had a desk fan, which was great because it was a hot day
We were a bit worried as we had to book a room with a shared toilet and shower because the hotel was full (Olympics)...this was never a problem, toilet and showers clean and two of each between 6 rooms, never saw another guest in them :)
The inclusive breakfast was lovely....polite and friendly service gave you juice when you sat, and took your order for cooked or cereal breakfast...if you wanted more you just ask! Only 5 or 6 tables but the girls were clearing them really fast to accomodate the next guest

The hotel is in a great position, very close to tube and station (Kings Cross) making it a perfect place for a base for the night or weekend and very reasonable price. Its position on a pretty little square with other hotels and b and bs was very attractive.

Thanks for a lovely stay and pleasant service...wouldnt stay anywhere else if I come again for a short stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed at MacDonald Hotel for 4 nights last June, in a single room with private bathroom. The room was - as expected, considering London standards - pretty small, but clean and fully furnished with all the basic commodities. Breakfast was OK, though I did not have their English breakfast (which would be the richest part of their breakfast offer), so I cannot really judge. The main strength of this B&B is its position, a two minutes walk away from King's Cross Station. The price was reasonable - again, for London standards, of course! As a final note, let me add that the courtesy of the host was a definite plus.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank InItinere
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My stay at macdonalds hotel was excellent. The staff very helpful. I definately recommend this hotel to other people visiting london. The fact that the area of the hotel is quiet and close to kings cross station is brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dione C
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was a nice stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the English breakfast was great! However, we would have appreciated a chance to wash hands in the toilet. The toilet would not flush every time and in the shower the water pressure and temperature changed all the time. Sounds from the street under our window woke us up a couple of times at night, but otherwise the location was relatively peaceful. It was clean and quite cozy inside, and definitely a fine place to stay during a short visit in London! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com