“Basic but very nice”
Review of Crestfield Hotel

Crestfield Hotel
Ranked #556 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for somewhere that is basic but affordable and very handy for the tube station then this is ok. We found it very clean and comfortable. We only stayed two nights and we spent most of our time sightseeing. The staff are very friendly and let us keep our bags in a room while we went out sightseeing (after we had checked out) thanks!

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Crestfield Hotel

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed with you on Tuesday 26th February, and have to say that I was not at all impressed, for the reasons set out below:
• I arrived around 8pm, to find that my room was on the third floor and there was no lift. I was told I had to walk up three flights of narrow and dirty stairs with my heavy bags. Tired after a long train journey, this was not what I expected!! The young lady on reception told me that there was only her on duty, and no-one else available to help with the bags. She did however, eventually lock up reception and assist with my bags.
• Pre-payment had not been taken on the credit card I had booked with online, and I had not been asked to bring this card with me. Only through phone calls and email to and from my husband at home was it possible to sort the payment out.
• The room when I eventually got to it, was absolutely tiny, with a gap of about 10 inches around the bed. The TV did not work, and there was no remote to be found for it. The hairdryer did not work. The free WiFi would not connect. The bedside lights did not work.
• The shower room was just big enough for the shower and toilet. It was cold, felt and smelled damp. The shower did not run hot, even when left for a considerable time.
• I went to make a cup of tea, but was put off to find pubic hairs in amongst the milk cartons.
• As the room was very warm when I arrived I opened the window. Trying to close and lock the window was however, impossible, and I spent the remainder of the night cold, and listening to loud noises from outside, and the loud and noisy neighbours.
• The bed was reasonably comfortable, although also somewhat lumpy.
• The towels were thin and obviously old.
• Descending the stairs with my bags the following morning proved a considerable challenge, due to the narrowness and steepness of them.
• The corridor at the bottom of the stairs was full of building materials, hoovers, linen and assorted rubbish. The mats on the floor were covered with old white towels.
• When I got down to reception in the morning, there was not only the owner’s dog, but also dog food and water bowls in the bar area.
• The continental breakfast consisted of a few cereals to select from, some tinned fruit, assorted fruit juices and bread/toast. No fresh fruit or yoghurt were in evidence.
I have to say on the above evidence, I would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: dont go here!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lesley C
Crestfield_Hotel, General Manager at Crestfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Lesley Cleaver,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us. We understand how disappointing it can be when your expectations are not met. We trying our very best to ensure you had a good experience with us. On behalf of Crestfield hotel, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you the high standard of hospitality which is the general norm of our hotel. After we received your feedback we have checked the room where you stayed. Room has been redecorated couple month ago. After investigation made, by our maintenance staff we didn’t found any faults that you have mentioned above. Please note, that we do advertise that our rooms are quite petite and there is information that there is no elevator in the hotel, if guests have mobility issues or heavy suitcases we always trying to find solution or give assistance with suitcases. We are currently refurbishing some of our rooms and do have building work going in one part of the hotel. On hotel’s payment policy section we do advertise that there is no deposit taken, but your card might be pre-authorised. During your stay you didn’t complaint or mentioned anything to a member of staff. We are treating all faults and customer complaints immediately in order to satisfy customer needs at higher standard as possible. Again, please accept our sincere apologies if we have not met your expectations.

Kind regards,
Crestfield hotel

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We returned to the Crestfield Hotel six months after our original stay and were put into a room on the 3rd floor which was too small and cramped for a four night stay.
But the following morning reception were - as ever - always pleasant, polite and keen to ensure we were happy and very obligingly moved us to another room which was similar to our original accommodation which was much more spacious and comfortable for a longer stay. They have a policy in which they try to accommodate returning guests in similar accommodation but due to a change of name we slipped through the net. The rooms regardless of size were very clean as we found when we were able to change our room and we sneaked a look at some of the rooms which have 3 or 4 beds and all were reasonably spacious for overnight stays in London.
The breakfasts were as before - plentiful - with a choice of several cereals, toast, fruit salad, cheese, ham and various jams plus juice, tea and coffee. Certainly good enough to send you on your way fed and watered for a days shopping or trek around the tourism spots.
Excellent value and we will happily recommend the Crestfield Hotel as well as return for a another stay in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 and 15 are reasonably spacious double rooms. Room 39 although a double bedded room is extre...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 503927Swampy1901
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We needed a room just for 2 nights and we choose this place because it's good located. Kings Cross Station is a hair's breadth away from it and that area is very good equipped. You can find nice restaurants around there, a wednesday karaoke pub (Miller's) and little shops to buy your wants.
The room is not too large but confortable. it was warm enough and everything was clean. we enjoyed our stay and we didn't want to leave!
The breakfast was included and it was satisfying. there isn't the possibility to have lunch or dinner inside the hotel.

Room Tip: ask for newest rooms downstairs
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SereFloyd
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our five week old daughter for eight nights.

The staff went out if their way to be helpful in all our requests; such as use of a fridge and microwave and providing a cot.

The room was always clean, breakfast was great value,(quality ham)! staff were friendly and cheerful and nothing was too much trouble.

Thank you for a lovely stay. I would definitely stay again

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank VietnamBadger
Reviewed January 20, 2013

we got stuck in a room on the 6th (?) floor, and this hotel has NO LIFTS. Trecking our 30kg+ bags up ALOT of stairs that are no wider than the actual suitcase was a NIGHTMARE! The room itself was extremely small, with little to almost no moving space. Our suitcases ended up shoved under the bench as there was nowhere else for them to go. Toilet in the shower, muggy, small, cramped and a treck and a half was not my idea of what we were getting when booking this hotel. There were also hairs found in our bed!

Thankfully, the staff kindly swapped our room to number 1, which is 1 flight of stairs downstairs, LARGE AND ROOMY and was in pristine condition! Right next door to the breakfast room also :) Couldnt have asked for a better stay once we swapped rooms!

And Jack, the resident dog was always a delight to come home to! :)

Room Tip: CHOOSE ROOM 1! Dont ask for a room with a 'view' as it doesnt exist.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family and I went to Crestfield hotel just before Christmas and were a little bit sceptical after reading couple of reviews on the tripadvisor.com. When have booked a room on the first floor facing the street. We were surprised how quite it was. National and International rail station is within 2 minutes walk. Room itself is very basic, but extremely clean and has got everything you need. There are coffee tea making facilities in the room. Downstairs there is a small bar in the hotel, where you can have a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. Breakfast is very simple, but you get plenty of it. Room service is every day, towels are getting changed daily. If there is anything that you need you can always ask at reception, there is always someone available. We also booked a sign seeing tours directly at the hotel, what I found very convenient. Check out was very quick, after we ckeched out we could leave our bags in the luggage room. We only paid £95.00 for a family room (4 people). It is a bargain in Central London. All of us had a great stay and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: There is no lift in the building, so if you are traveling with a small kids or you have many bags as...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family