“Very sad!”

Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Salmiyah, Kuwait
“Very sad!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I were very excited to find your store in London on our way to Bird of Farringdon, so we decided to come the next day and try your Bratwurst. Bratwurst mit Sauerkraut for me and Bratwurst with chips for my wife, and of course a Hefeweizen for me.
There was obviously somebody ‘German’ behind the counter, another male and a female staff if I remember this right. Between them, they had huge discussions what is for whom and I think we were lucky that we got what we ordered. It was by no means busy at the time, but it was already a challenge to get the Sauerkraut out of the pot. Must have been the first day for this guy – and he never handled food before in his life.
Since I am living in a country without pigs and alcohol, I am keen to ‘top up’ when I have the chance. I am myself a master butcher, I was excited and expecting a ‘proper’ sausage. But no – it was nothing special, it was very dry on one side, must have been on this hot plate for god knows how long, not black on this side, but certainly dark brown for about 2mm. It certainly was not prepared fresh in front of you as it does say on your website, you could see it, yes, but it did not say for how long it was there. The Sauerkraut was good, but little and the Hefeweizen was as it should be.
My wife was eating just one mouth full of the sausage and gave it to me, just eating the chips, me then having to eat basically 2 half-dried sausages – it was not enjoyable at all.

You got a prime spot there to serve a good German sausage in the middle of the British meat trading area in London – but this is certainly not an advertisement for German quality sausages. Not much need for us to come back in a rush either.

I sent the above to them, of course I did not get any answer - it was a week ago. Very sad!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Ulf J

Londo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sausagegate 2013”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I am a worker in London and fully understand that “just by breathing London air” I am prone to paying slightly over the odds for food, entertainment and drinks. It was a warm day (possibly the warmest day of September) and with the glow of sunshine glimmering off of your pretzel shaped advertising sign, it caught my attention and made me think to myself “I fancy a bit of sausage!!!!”.
Upon entering your shop I was greeted with a bemused look from all three of the employees and Hans (he looked like a Hans) stepped forward and pressured me into a decision..... sausage, sausage or more sausage....
I went with option A....Sausage!!!
I asked for a Frankfurt and decided to “super size” my fries and order a bottle of water. Hans turned and collected a frankfurter from the microwave and placed in on a plate. Then Steffi asked me if that was all and would I like to pay. OK I thought!

Then glorious thoughts rolled through my mind of a wonderful schnitzel I had in Berlin once and my mouth filled with moisture.
Hans mumbled to me a question I think was “do you want sauce?” and I replied ketchup.... in which he must have misunderstood as my hot dog was covered in some sort of curry flavored sauce.... As he waited for the fries to cook, I went and settled down and awaited my sausage...
Once the food arrived at my table, a sight which I can only describe as Armageddon mixed in with the apocalypse presented itself in front of me.............
NO BUN WITH MY HOTDOG!!!!
Now I may be culturally inept however last time I checked.....frankfurters come in buns..... with ketchup or mustard...not curry flavored tomato ketchup!!!
I sat waiting patiently for a minute or two in the hope that a bun may arrive...however no go....(this reminded me of my fifth birthday when I wanted batman to turn up to my batman themed birthday party...he didn't)
SO being as hungry as I was, I begrudgingly ate the lot...whilst I say it was nice, I would happily recommend your services if you just provided buns....not for £1 but for free......as that’s the way hotdogs should be served.
Moral of this story is that although I am a Londoner and I am used to having my pants pulled down.... £7.50 for a 6 inch hotdog and a handful of fries is what I would describe as robbery!!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jeff B
london
“Little but sooo tasty!!!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I so missed the German sausage and the sauerkraut from the streets of Germany so to find this little place - it was really surprising how good the sauerkraut is... Although it was a bit pricey compared to the ones we had in Germany but it was so good that I will most likely go back for more... highly recommended!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Elizabeth-Therese
Chicago, Illinois
“Tiny but fun place for German Sausages”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This tiny little restaurant serves three different kinds of sausages, much like hotdogs, german fried potatoes and sauerkraut. They also have german beers. Prices are reasonable, the food tastes great and the service is wunderbar.

I say, Go, if you like this kind of food.

This is where, I suspect, the Queen goes when she wants to celebrate her germanic heritage.

• Visited April 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Best German sausage bar in London”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Tiny place but hiding the best sausage bar in London. Better range of sausages compare to Herman ze German which is really its main competitor. They are both really good but this place just aces Herman for value and size of portion as the choice is just a bit wider. Worth seeking out.

• Visited March 2012