“Stunning avantgarde design and a top location near Covent Garden”
Review of ME London

ME London
Ranked #75 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Note: I blog about Luxury Fashion & Travel at www.shoplemonde.com. Feel free to check my blog for many more photos we have taken at the ME Hotel :-)

To get the most out of my time on vacation, I not only plan ahead restaurant visits and shopping tours, I also do a lot of research in regards to the hotel. Using travel websites like TripAdvisor.com and Booking.com, I can always get a very good first impression on what to expect from a hotel. Well, while browsing these sites, I stumbled upon the beautiful ME London, a highly rated new design hotel.

Even though London is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities on earth, I often have a hard time finding a hotel that is appealing to me. Most of them have been there for many years and their classic design/architecture is not always to my liking. I often miss the certain something that sets a hotel apart from the rest, but I may have found it in this hotel.

The first thing you notice when entering the ME hotel is the lovely and refreshing smell of honey melon. This is the hotel’s “signature fragrance” (which you can also buy to use at home), and it immadiately makes you feel as if you were passing into a mysterious world.
For guests to feel completely at home, this hotel employs an “aura manager” who is responsible for ambience, service and special requests. You could say that his job is a mix of interior designer, concierge and DJ, and when looking at these pictures, I must say that he does a pretty good job!

Dark marble, clean lines and sharp edges are reminiscent of the newly remodeled Saint Laurent Paris boutiques and the avantgardistic design is the common theme throughout the hotel.

The hotel was designed by Foster and Partners, one of the most innovative architecture and integrated design practices in the world. It is the first hotel in which the design of everything, from the shell of the building to the layout of the public spaces and guest rooms – down to the smallest details of the room fittings – has been undertaken by the Foster studio. I especially love the small touches like integrated european electricity connections, which can be found in every room.
The hotel is also home to two well received restaurants. Cucina Asellina is based on New York’s Asellina restaurant, specialising in “simple Italian cuisine”. STK blends two concepts into one: the modern steakhouse and a chic lounge. I especially loved the atmosphere and beautiful design at STK and I hope my photos do it justice.

A highlight for me was the rooftop bar on the top floor. With a spectacular view of the entire city coupled with fantastic cocktails, the “Radio Bar” has become a popular hot spot where you can enjoy a good drink with a pleasant audience. A very unique feature is the heating system which was specially developed for the outdoor terrace; it allows you to sit outside and enjoy the view during wintertimes with nothing more than a thin blouse – how amazing is that? This place has become one of my favorite venues in London and I absolutely recommend you visit Radio Bar on your next trip.

MY CONCLUSION:
The ME London captivates through its stunning, modern avantgarde design and a top location near Covent Garden. Great restaurants, famous theaters and nice boutiques are all nearby. If you want to have a great time in London, this is the place to stay at.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Mehrnaz G
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Hello Mehrnaz G,

We’re definitely keeping our eyes stuck on your blog to keep up with all your travels and experiences and we want to thank you for sharing your review of us with the world.

The detail that you’ve put in here is gobsmacking and we are seriously chuffed that you took the time to write this all out.

We look forward to welcoming you again to see what we have to offer in 2014!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed here for a few days over the new year with my partner and another couple and we where not disappointed. First impressions of the hotel where breathtaking, its ultra modern, stylish, it defiantly has the wow factor. On arrival we where greeted with a cold glass of champagne while we checked in which was a lovely touch. The rooms are fantastic and they look right on to the Strand they are also packed with all the essentials. The location of the me London is fantastic its just minutes away from Covent Gardens, Big Ben, London eye etc. Best places to eat are The Ivy & Gaucho Grill. I would deffo recommend spending New years here and getting tickets to the Radio bar in the hotel which is a roof top bar that looks right over the Themes, its has the most perfect view of the countdown & fireworks.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello DonnaaLouisee,

I guess it’s never too late to wish you a Happy New Year and thanks for choosing us to celebrate this occasion. We’re so glad to hear that your experience was flawless from start to finish; something we strive for with all our guests.

We are proud of our central location, ideal for all visitors both first-timers and veterans alike. We hope you consider us again when celebrating your next big occasion!

Thanks again for your review.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed February 5, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the ME for two nights, we were amazed by the hotel it is very modern but with a friendly atmosphere. The rooms were more than perfect, wonderful showers and loved the lighting. We changed rooms on the second night as the room we had was opposite the theatres and the light was shining through the window and I like pitch black to sleep (personal preference my daughter slept fine) however this was no problem and staff were very accommodating with moving us. The staff were wonderful the concierge could not of been more helpful with all of our queries, having been our first time to london there was a lot!! And the reception staff were exceptional even plotting a map of things for us to do during the day and making sure we were able to get to the train station even in the tube strike. I would recommend this hotel it's very central with everything walking distance - covent garden -oxford street - london eye- westminister - Trafalgar Square all within 10 mins walking. As for the price we got an amazing offer so just makes it all the better.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Bexi2409

Hello Bexi2409,

It’s great to read that your first time in London was memorable for all the right reasons. We trust that you will have many more trips and hopefully you remember us next time you visit.

We are always happy to accommodate all of our guests’ requests to the best of our abilities to make their stay with us as comfortable as possible thus ensuring a wonderful experience with us.

Thanks again for your review.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Great Experiece!
Since my arrival at the ME London Hotel,I was realy impressed,the dorman opened the door of my cab and escort and helped me and my familly with our bags all the way to concierge where we dropped our bags so we get confi on our way to reception and again escorted to the reception by concierge staff who explained us the hotel outlets and upon check in as well we was invited to a glass of prosecco,very nice touch,after all this we arrived to our room wich is verry high tech and futuristic design,apreciate all the hard work of hotel staff,tks guys!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Hey Cosmin A,
This title is amazing, thanks a lot! Our concierge team is the first impression of our staff, and they are absolutely fantastic!
The rooms are high-tech indeed, and very easy to control with our touch-screen control panel.
If you feel like staying in your bed, the settings of the lights and the heating is at your fingertip.
We are hoping to welcome you soon!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

The hotel is located just up the road from Temple Tube station (about a five minute walk)
The hotel on arrival is breathtaking and the aroma of the hotel is devine on arrival we were advised to take the elevator to the first floor where reception is and this is inside the pyramid design!
we arrived at 1115 and our room was not ready so we left our bags and went out for the day.
We arrived back at the hotel at about 1700 and checked in our room was ready and our luggage had already been taken to the room
Our room was located on the 5th floor (509) and was Aura category, the room was huge with floor to ceiling window that overlooks The Strand close to Lycian and Novello theatres
We had no noise disturbance at all - there are screens that close to prevent the noise however we actually left ours slightly open but still had no disturbance from noise!
The beds were comfy they are hard matresses but i like this. The Nespresso machine was a great touch and we loved the rain shower in the bathroom.
The Radio Bar on the Roof Terrace was reasonably priced in my opinion and what fantastic views! Well worth a visit - we saw a celeb too which always makes it feel like a special place/upmarket place.

Staff are fantastic nothing is too much trouble - hotel has turn down service too which is nice touch

The hotel breakfast is devine excellent choice of Pastries, cakes, muffins, cheese, ham, smoked salmon, Fresh juice coffee and teas, Also the hot options are amazing scrambelled eggs, hashbrowns, streaky bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and if you wanted something slightly different such as poached egg on toast or fried egg with bacon in a roll they can do this to order too - really nothing is too much trouble.

Hotel is located:
5 min walk to Temple Tube station
10-15 Min walk to London Eye
20-25 min walk to Oxford street
15-20 Minute walk to Trafalga Square, Leicester Square and Covent Garden
there is a boots pharmacy about a 2 minute walk up the road and there is a tesco express over the road.

Cannot reccommend the hotel enough - I will be back

Room Tip: Room on 5th floor at front of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucie_forever

Dear Lucie_forever,
Next time you return to us make sure you grab one of those Essence of MEs, which create the Aura of ME London. Our guaranteed check-in time is 3PM, however we try our best to have your room ready as soon as possible!The breakfast chefs know exactly how to kick off your day, and they are passionate about it! Thank you for your kind comments, please let us know when you are coming back and we will make your stay even better this time!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Stayed for two nights on a business trip, and won't be going back. The hotel is unbearably stylish, and can't quite get over just how chic it is - the snazzy chrome in the ground floor bar, the beautiful light scheme in the reception lobby, the high tech minimalist bedrooms. It is certainly beautiful, and by the standards of London hotels the rooms are large enough and comfy enough.
The hotel clearly makes a lot of its revenue from functions in the (very impressive) bar areas, and didn't seem that interested in helping me as a business traveller to get on with my day. For example, of the three elevators, one was often 'looked after' by a bouncer trying to shepherd guests up or down to a party, so getting between my room and the public areas was always an adventure. If there is a party in the roof bar and a party in the ground floor bar, then there is nowhere where you can sit and have a beer and a quiet business discussion. I complained to a member of staff about this and he just said 'well sir, this is a party hotel'.
The Italian-themed restaurant is big and noisy and un memorable - I've had nicer food for half the price at almost any Italian restaurant in the west end.
If I'm having an office Christmas party and I have a huge budget I may give these guys a call, but as a business traveller I won't be going back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank infp_bloke
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear infp_bloke,
Thank you so much for your great comments about our stylish hotel, we are glad you enjoyed the Marconi Lounge, the Atrium of the hotel and your spacious room full of high tech gadgets.
We are sorry if you had any inconvenience when using the elevators of the hotel. There is a Security officer taking care of the entrance to Radio Bar, it is not a party but an incredible bar with stunning views of London, next time please do not doubt to go up there, it is a great place to have a beer and have a chat with a colleague in the afternoon hours, later the vibe up there is full of energy!
It is a shame you did not enjoy that much our award winning Cucina Asellina, next time try STK and please give us a review. Do not hesitate to contact the Aura team next time you come back, we will make sure you are looked after since the very first moment!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, the location is very good, rooms are comfy. But when you try to go to your room there is only one elevator out of three you can use :(.
It takes lots of time and when you ask the management to allow hotel guests to use the other elevator they simply don't care :(.

I teach management consulting courses and will use this case as a good example how people can destroy the results of good job, done by other people.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Dbraun2012
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Hello Dbraun2012,

After reading this review, we cannot apologise enough that your stay with us did not exceed your expectations. Yes, ME London is a very different 5* London hotel. We’re unique, dynamic, stylish and cater to a similar clientele. This is not to say, however, that we don’t have universal appeal and we’re investigating as to why your experience with us was not satisfactory. Please do not dismiss us just yet. Your feedback has been taken seriously and we would love to welcome you back to assure you that your first experience was an isolated one.

Warmest Regards.