“Good budget accomodation!”

Ranked #77 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Good budget accomodation!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for a London-weekend with my mother and aunt. All you need in London - central location, triple rooms, hearty breakfast, ok staff and the right price! If you are looking for the Ritz, this is not it, but if you need somewhere convenient - this is it!
Only drawback - lots of steps for the 4th floor rooms (but they have a nice view!), no problem for me but kind of exhausting for my old aunt (no elevator!).
Also - great Italian and tapas restaurant just around the corner!

Room Tip: Top floor - nice view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 11Norway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Unfortunately, my £150 Ray Bans went missing (bought from an inheritance). We went out for the day and I left my bag on my bed. I decided not to take them and I'm 99% sure I looked at them sitting on the bed as I made that decision. When we came back, our room was made up, my bag was neatly placed on top of my bed and my sunglasses were not in there.

This is sensitive and I don't want to wrongfully accuse anybody. Maybe they got lost in the sheets when the cleaner took them off the bed..? But, I'm very disappointed with how the situation was handled. The manager assumed I was accusing people, even though I tried to explain that I wasn't. She seemed more concerned with defending herself and the staff, and ending the situation (at one point, she ran off to ask staff if they'd seen my glasses, but hadn't even asked me what sort they were. And as if someone would say yes if they HAD seen them!). I also sent a follow-up email marked for the manager's attention, but the reply was from somebody else and was brief, impersonal, non-committal, business-speak.

Not quite as unfortunate, breakfast was not included even though the website states it is (with no Ts&Cs to be found). We paid £90 for a triple room on WotIf or similar. If we'd booked directly through the George's website, we would have paid £100 for the same room. Then breakfast was £5 extra each and there were 3 of us. It seems a bit dodgy. Perhaps a disclaimer is needed on the website.

On the positive side, the George is a reasonably priced, budget B&B in central London and it's a short walk from Euston and Kings Cross stations. I never had to wait for the bathroom and, while my friend did once, she ducked to the one downstairs and used it straight away. Rooms were comfortable. But I won't go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RaeganKrista

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I had a pleasant stay in this hotel which is conveniently located in the Bloomsbury area. I had a single room with my own sink and used the shared bathroom for shower and toilet. The room was clean and comfortable and cleaned every morning by the hotel including fresh towels and soap. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Brunswick centre is just down the road if you need anything. Mostly a student neighbourhood. My only complaint was that I found it a little noisy at night (outside the room). Mostly just drunk kids making their ways slowly back home or to their hotel. It's great that they have a large wardrobe and safe too. Wish they had more availability so I didn't have to move to another hotel. Nowhere near as good as the George.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our third stay at the George and have enjoyed them all. The hotel is just three blocks from the Russell Square tube station and nicely located for the British Museum, west side theaters, Soho and both hop-on-hop-off tour bus lines. The staff is very attentive, rooms smallish but very clean (standard or ensuite), breakfast very good - 8-9:30am, and is pretty cost effective compared to most London accommodations. We recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013
Sandwich, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here as a base for a week in London & the surrounding area & it was just what we wanted - a nice walk to the train in one direction, Russell Square tube station n the other, & the British Museum in yet another, quiet, friendly, down to earth. The stairs are of course old, narrow, & inconvenient. The breakfast a typical English fry-up. The rooms small but comfortable. The languages overheard in the dining room a combination of French, German, various forms of British/Scottish, & other European & Scandinavian inflections. If you're looking for luxury, this ain't it. If you're looking for a comfortable, friendly, quiet, & attractive spot to stay with true multicultural leanings & a lot of students, you'll love this as we did.

Room Tip: They are very accommodating with needs - i.e. difficulty with stairs, very tall peoples, etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed for 3 days room was ok..clean and tidy...shower was a challenge...not a lot of room and unless the shower curtain was placed exactly right u flooded the bathroom...window to open you had to try and hold up a heavy sash window and position it so that u could push a lock across to hold it in position!! This opened into a small courtyard with steps leading up to the street..I would nit feel safe leaving the window open at night..laundry men throw laundry bags down at 8 in the morning and someone chose to sweep the courtyard at 7.30 the following morning so we awoke to the hitting of the broom on the all sides for a good 5 mins...not impressed...not value for money at £120 a night...u can find cheaper that is better value for money

• Stayed August 2013
Sprockhoevel, Germany
Reviewed August 19, 2013

we had a triple with own wc/shower for 3 nights . The room (very clean!) was in the basement and was spacious enough. There could have been some more towel holders (only 2 for 6 towels) but apart from that the equipment was fine. Breakfast was wonderful and rich and the service of the complete staff very friendly and helpful. The location is great - 2 tube stations and buses nearby and nice little restaurants/cafes /shops right around the corner. We enjoyed our stay immensly and will hopefully return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family