“Much better than the reviews suggested” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dylan Apartments Paddington

Dylan Apartments Paddington
Ranked #979 of 1,070 Hotels in London
Bampton, United Kingdom
“Much better than the reviews suggested”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a self-catering apartment with en-suite in the Kensington Park area of London and Dylan apartments was just about the only option at a reasonable price in the whole district. We were worried about the reviews listed here though since this was the only option, we stayed for three days. It was actually much better than the reviews suggested and we came away thinking that this was a place we could definitely stay again.

Pros:
Excellent location in a quiet side street, 10mins walk from Paddington station
Organic food shopping nearby and many good restaurants and shops not far.
Microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge etc. all worked along with all plates/pans/cutlery for two.
Clean and tidy rooms, comfortable bed with clean and appropriate linen and pillows
The bed was a good double size
Good strong hot shower with good towels and shower gel & shampoo
Staff were nice and very helpful.
Room 21 had a balcony with an excellent view of Queen's Gardens across the road.
No problems in taking credit card payments (with a PIN machine as usual)

Cons:
Limited space - we think that there would be a problem for obese people or people with difficulty in moving or with large suitcases, though for us (two biggish backpacks and some small bags) there were few problems. The high ceiling prevents it from feeling cramped and for the price and location, there needs to be some compromise.
The windows are not double glazed so some street noise was present.

On the whole it was an excellent stay and better than we expected. Thank you and we will come again.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe double rather than a double. The price was the same when we booked them.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Davidasha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Slovak first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just had a 3 night stay in one of their "Studio Apartments". Let me tell you in my opinion what the pros and cons of this accommdation were:

Pros
Really good location, ideal for acessing the underground and bus services. The accommodation is on a nice quiet road. "Apartment" was nice and clean. Staff appeared nice. Window in the room opened really wide so was nice and airy. The bathroom was nice and had a decent shower, once you waited for the water to heat up. Someone came in each day and made the bed up and changed the towels if they needed changing. It is possible to access the roof in this accommodation and the view is amazing, you're up higher than most of the chimneys around you so its really a stunning view.

Cons

The term "Studio Apartment" is used in the very loosest term. We were in apt 52. The room is not big enought to swing a cat, mind you, thinking about it, dont even bring your mouse because you wouldnt be able to swing that either. Absolutely tiny. Its supposed to have a double bed but in reality its not much bigger than a decent sized single bed. A word of warning, if you are having a shower make sure you shut the bathroom door otherwise the fire alarm goes off, which happened to us. Not sure what would have happened if we had tried to cook something in the kitchen.........

Now the biggest con of these apartments is the stairs, dear god they are unreal. The first two flights are not bad but the other million flights up to the apartment are all twisty and turney, different depths and quite steep with no handrail on a lot of them which makes it extremely difficult getting up and down carrying cases. In fairness i am definitley not the fittest person on the planet by any stretch of the imagination but even Mo Farah would have difficulty negotiating these stairs. The lock on the outside of the door was falling off and it took ages to work out how to actually lock the door. Be aware that you need to use the key to lock the doors they do not lock automatically when you shut the door. You have to turn the key to lock the door then turn it back as if you are opening the door but stop just before the lock turns and take the key out.

They also only provide 1 pillow person so might be an idea to ask for a second one on arrival because believe me you wont want to trawl up and down the stairs any more than you have to. They do provide an ironing board and iron in the room but the ironing board is about 2ft long and you have to put it on the bed to iron but its better than nothing.

The paintwork in the commune areas is dirty and worn and could do with freshing up.

I do think that these apartments are overpriced for the accommodation you get, but the location is really good.

Would I use this accommodaton again - yes I would provided that we could request an apartment on a lower floor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriola Island, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've travelled to over 40 countries in five different continents. I've been in many small hotel rooms/apartments, including in notably crowded places like Japan and China. I have never, however been in a room/apartment so small as the Dylan apartment in Paddington. The place was so small that even opening a suitcase was nearly impossible. The bathroom was so tiny I had to contort myself into the shower booth and on the toilet. The company does an incredibly deceptive job on the internet, advertising a smartly furnished pad. Instead, the furniture was rickety, the sheets stained, and the paint on the wall chipping. What's more, the place was constantly baking in the sun, without air conditioning. The walls were so thin I could hear nearby guests moan. And of course the internet was available only for extra charge. When I complained of false advertising I was told I had checked in already and even if I had left my money was already taken. Believe it or not I am a very laid back traveler: I have stayed in dives and dungeons and in the bushes, but this one was the worst by a mile. Stay away.

Room Tip: Sleep on the street: it'll be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Greater Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

'Cramped' doesn't adequately convey the limited space rented here. It was so tight I had to plan my journey from one side of the room to the other. The window had to be open for it to be cool enough to sleep, but it only took a few minutes stuffing toilet paper around the edges to stop it from rattling. I wasn't able to sit straight on the toilet because the wash basin left no room for my legs. It was impossible to turn the shower on without getting wet, which put you at risk of scalding. The exhaust fan in the bathroom didn't work, so the mist from the shower set off the fire alarm at 5:30am on a Saturday morning, putting me at serious risk of being murdered by other guests. On the plus side, the staff members I dealt with we're pleasant (don't blame them!).

Room Tip: Try another establishment
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I was a bit worried after reading all the bad reviews on here but booked it for a hen weekend as it was so reasonable. I booked four standard rooms. For a few night's stay they were just fine. A little small and tired but clean and had everything we needed. If you want a big room as for room 2 - it's big! This is a good value hotel for where it is. Just a few mins walk from Paddington and next to some great places to eat. The Mitre pub is great. The staff are friendly and accomodating. For the tiny price we paid it was just fine!

• Stayed July 2013
Norfolk, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Dylan Apartotel is in a converted house in quiet location not too far from Paddington Station. The room whilst small was spotlessly clean. Although the description of self catering is perhaps a trifle imaginative. There is a toaster, kettle, twin hob and microwave oven as well as a fridge the sheer lack of space would make cooking anything more that a snack tricky if not impossible. However this was offset by the numerous reasonably priced eateries in the area of Praed Street .The staff were friendly and cooperative and allowed us to leave our bags there when we arrived some hours before check-in time. The accommodation it self was quiet although I do not know the level of occupancy during our two night stay. For the price it was a very good choice bearing in mind the reputation London has for high priced accommodation.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 23 which was fine but we did not see any other to compare it with
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank norfolkngoodkl
New Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

These apartments are in a wonderful location and for the price offer a spacious room that is clean and has all that is needed for a short city break. By using the kitchenette it is possible to save money on eating out, but there are plenty of bars, restaurants and attractions near by. The only issue for some travellers may be the stairs, we stayed on the fifth floor and there is no lift. For us, this wasn't a problem and as we only had hand luggage we managed fine but the stairs are rather narrow and fairly steep (I found this adds to the history of the building in the area). The staff in the building were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends